1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Butler Willing to Expand List if Wolves Can Make a Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Who knows, but the path for a Lakers trade is tough right now. They aren't going to give up young guys and they can't trade their new 1yr contract guys until December.

Wolves want this Butler trade done in the NEXT FEW DAYS.

saleem likes this.
  2. Sen89

Sen89 Member

At the end of the day, even if Butler is a difficult teammate and has other teams above us on the 2019 summer list, the fact that he's one of the top few 2-way players in the league, and happens to be 6'7" playing a position vacated by 2 of our key pieces last year (Ariza/LMAM), should make him incredibly enticing to us. And like it's been mentioned before, Gordon is fantastic, but is expendable if we get Butler, and the fact that he's 6'3" also plays a role.

We have our death lineup that can legitimately match-up with Golden State, with some 5-man combo of our "Top 6".

Paul/Harden/Butler/Tucker/Capela
    Paul/Harden/Butler/Melo/Capela
    Paul/Harden/Butler/Melo/Tucker

If Butler buys in fully, that team is about as close to GS as you can get, and definitely beats GS in the toughness category.

Y2JT and BigMaloe like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I bet you Morey's Butler offer will be Gordon+Nene+1st. I may not be good enough, but I bet that is the offer.

He could do other things like add PJ in there or do a second trade of Knight for Dieng, but I bet he holds off on those sweeteners.
    Morey could do a small sweetener of Chriss for Patton in a second trade as well. (if the Wolves see Patton as a negative. He is currently injured).

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Is this the best Butler offer?

joshuaao likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd say getting a 1st rounder is better than swapping Dieng with Whiteside (who has one less year of contract but almost gets 10M more per year), but that's just me.

whiskeyred and arabrocket like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

They aren't trading away all their young talent. They'd only need to package one of them, which is all they gave up to get Kawhi ... and they have three more left.

Let's not hyperbole this.

They would be making a trade that makes them the favorites to make the Finals, this year. That, imo, is simply Ujiri going all-in on *this* year to make the Finals with Kawhi. That would be his best approach to re-signing Kawhi.

We can overthink such a trade and say how it adds pain to what happens if Kawhi bolts, but that type of analysis simply ignores how the trade also increase the chances that the risk doesn't happen.

It's merely Ujiri going all-in...and is the best strategy to keeping Kawhi and not having to rebuild.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree also because those young guys Toronto would trade have not star potential, there's not a potential franchise player there so, yeah, they won't lose a foundational piece anyway.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Minnesota better hope not.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Problem with this over-used analytics, is nearly all shooters shoot those numbers...it's not uncommon at all.

When ppl use those corner, wide open and catch n shoot numbers, what we must also show is that ppl who shoot in the corners are widely available, and that's where we want/need our less elite shooters to be...Tucker and Ennis.

You can't put all your shooters in the corners and the defenses dictate who they leave open. A Butler will have to be shooting the above-the-break shots like Gordon did...otherwise, he just becomes a 3nD player positioned in the corner watching.

imo, its fine him shooting his 35-37%, because he's a disruption on the strong-side, and helps produce the weak side open looks for others who aren't strong side offensive players. We don't need to use those Open Look, Corner numbers, that ppl Fail to note are much, much more common throughout the league -- and that commonality limits the value of using said analytics.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cleveland!?!?

DonKnock and Codman like this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Absolutely. This has been very obvious to me. I guess some people don’t want to believe that other teams are willing to go all in or may offer packages that are more desirable than ours.

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

From a text this morning:/

Yes, the Rockets (like all teams) are trying for Jimmy, but most don't have the players to get it done. Unless you have space, you're going to need a 3rd team.

*Lakers are spending a lot of energy looking at JB. LeBron wants help and not a year of mediocrity. He and JB are close and have mutual family ties. JB wants a bigger market and exposure. Lebron is perfect.

Biggest takeaway: If Lebron/Magic want JB that badly, prepare to see guys like and/or Lonzo/ The Pope/Ingram (Magic loves him but...) and/or a pick.

Believe it or not, Josh Hart is untouchable. Kuzma is nearly untouchable and already has the the reigns from Rondo. These relationships are CRUICIAL. You keep your franchise player happy, and your PGs have to understand their role. Lonzo/Father still think the Lakers belong to the "Big Scrotum---errr----Big Baller" family.

As usual, the Lakers are going to be right in the mix of all of this, and it wouldn't surprise me to see JB ending up there, based on the return for Minny.

Locker Room Talk: LBJ is not a fan of Lonzo or family. Doesn't prefer to have that "father" disrupting chemistry. Cannot confirm, but an Ear said it's obvious.

For the Rockets, I'll mention it again. Jimmy may not be best for us right now. Our needs aren't more shooting, ball handling, etc. We need some defense, versatility, and good lawd, some protection for when Clint/Ne/____ go out.

Many scenarios right now, but if the Rockets get involved and Jimmy doesn't end up here, Morey has always had interest in TyJones (Draft night+ #DecreasetheDrop for CP3 (with BKnight)

And, from a previous trade deadline, the Rockets were hours away from a trade to receive Taj Gibson and Dougie Buckets. IMO, Taj would do well here in a limited role. His picks are underrated, he can score in the post and he's a great locker room guy. (That's just what I know from my time near/around)

Happy Sunday.

Also, check on your loved ones. Have them get physicals. Please.

XO

14. HP3

HP3 Member

I thought Lakers were not in the running and that they couldnt make the trade work? Not to say Codman is wrong, but how can they even get Butler?

15. bmd

bmd Member

I think I'd rather Paul/Harden/Butler/Ennis/Tucker as a true small-ball "death" lineup.

16. macan

macan Member

did Tilman secure a meeting with minni's owner? any sources

Fullcourt likes this.
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Yep, yep, yep, aaaand yep.

Popovich is an egotistical maniac.

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Miami just entered the sweepstakes....no names, but you can infer. DWayde is pushing for that one for sure.

#Freebird H.W./WinsLOW/Ty

Simply speculation.

Alright, I'm off for awhile.

I get to go volunteer today, which is my favorite thing to do. The joy of seeing the smile from a child suffering from a debilitating disease makes me "tick."

Take care of yourself, your loved ones, and of course, friends don't let friends support Golden State Warriors.

XO

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If the Lakers were to get him the only likely scenario is Lonzo AND Ingram. Which actually is not very likely at all

HP3 likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please take good care of yourself dear Cod. We are all praying for your good health.

jch1911, topfive and Codman like this.