1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Darkness

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Elliott03, Dec 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Just tried to look them up...looks like they're only available on import.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Dark(ness) is Rising!

THE DARKNESS are continuing their assault on America, despite likening themselves to rabies.

At the end of last week, the band saw their debut album 'Permission To Land' jump 81 places to Number 92 in the Billboard charts, and this week the LP has rocketed to 39.

Justin Hawkins said: "It's like the three stages of rabies. First people fear us, then they start foaming at the mouth because they want us. And then they start attacking other people."

The Darkness are also planning to capitalise on their continuing success Stateside by playing a North American tour - due to kick off on March 24 before winding up on April 18. The spandex clad rockers will then return in the summer to continue the jaunt.

Hawkins said: "The only British bands that have made an impact here are the ones that toured relentlessly. And we've already made an impact having played about ten shows."

Bassist Frankie Poullain added: "We're looking forward to hitting the Midwest... places like Pittsburgh that helped define rock music."

According to MTV News, The Darkness remained unfazed by criticism that they are too English too succeed in America.

"I think rock is a nation in itself. It is one of the few genres that can transcend the cultural boundaries mankind puts in place," Hawkins explained.

"If you say certain parts of America are different animals to other ones, if you have a blunderbuss it's gonna hurt whether it's a weevil or an elephant. It's gonna hurt and it's gonna make some damage," he added.

The band's second US single 'Growing On Me' will be released around the same time that the band hit the road.

"You haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg," Hawkins claimed. "It's the tip of the tip. It's like a snowflake atop the iceberg. ... The question is how many snowflakes does it take to build an iceberg? And only the Lord above can answer that because he's the one who makes them."

3. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

The Darkness is like a bad Poison tribute band meets a bad Queen tribute band. Horrible stuff.

4. Nomar

Nomar Member

I like them.

But what does 'campy' mean?

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I'm living in England, but I'm American. At first I wasn't sure what to think because they don't take themselves too seriously. Then everyone over here was crazy about them and I didn't see the big deal. I don't think they're bad, but I'm not rushing to buy their CD either.

I do like "Get your hands off my woman motherf*cker!"

7. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

They suck ass .

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i dunno about the band as a whole, but that lead guitarist has some serious axe-handling skills...