1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Morey move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gdinamite, Sep 6, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Guys, two clues I can see.
    • Puppet Head is a song about someone who hates their job, and he needs to take control of his life. Butler?

• However, that very same quote is referenced in *the* 3rd episode of the Simpsons. "Dumb things I gotta do today" is the refrigerator todo list paper Homer used for his suicide note in "Homer's Odyssey" -- Homer got fired from the plant, and no one would hire him. Homer later turns city safety crusader and rallies the town to take on his ex-employer Burns, who gets him to sellout by offering him a kush job to do nothing and be quiet. (Sounds somewhat like Ryan's last year.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#61 heypartner, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. craguin

craguin Member

Homer wrote a suicide note on one of those sheets... :eek:

heypartner likes this.
  3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Other posts from this dude talk about the "star" player wanting out, and that he is holding up another young star from resigning...clearly Jimmy Buckets. I don't care that this guy has zero credibility, its DEAN SZN

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Mr. Dubose ( @The Cat ) had a nice observation on his last podcast that Morey has not said anything on twitter about the trade. Then speculated that it might be about injury concerns with Knight. Well it’s been 7 days and the physicals deadline has past. I wonder instead if Morey just wanted to get Knight before the sept 1st buyout deadline and is now working to see if he can flip him before the season.

whiskeyred and don grahamleone like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes, but what does it MEAN?

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Barber shop source or gtfoh.

topfive and J.R. like this.
  7. basketballholic

Was told that knight and Chriss took their physicals yesterday. (Not verified with second source though so I'm a little iffy on that one.) If so, and nothing else is in the mill, I'd think there should be a presser early next week introducing them. Morey has not officially welcomed them that I am aware of. If no presser comes then it leaves the door open for speculation involving one or both players being re-routed elsewhere.

For what it's worth I don't see Chriss staying here. He's a lunkhead. I could easily see us flipping him for a player making 2.6 million or less and generating a fresh 3.3 million TPE plus maybe a future second rounder. I also could see the possibility of flipping him and Nene together for a 3.43 million TPE, plus a player(s) making up to 4.1 million and another player making either minimum or up to 2.6 million.

TPE's are important for over the cap teams to have for trade flexibility.

Also, we've passed the time to give Gordon a two-year extension and be able to trade him by the deadline. We're now inside 6 months. We can only give him an extra one year with 5% raises and be able to trade him by the deadline. I can't see him taking just one extra year.

So put that in your trade calculus.

My best guess: One of Butler/Kawhi/Winslow/Oubre is a Rocket come March. And maybe even sooner than later.

#67 basketballholic, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    whiskeyred and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Butler to LA is a very true rumor, however, Butler is LA’s plan C not A or B.
    LA wants Kawhi and/or Klay, period. If they don’t get those players I definitely see them chasing Butler.
    Butler has devalued himself simply bc he doesn’t want to resign with MIN and it showed by declining that offer.
    MIN can’t be asking for too much bc teams will just say no, wait for the offseason, and MIN will loose him for nothing.
    DM has expressed interest in Butler since his Chicago days and I’m sure DM is working MIN phone inquiring about Butler.
    Butler is from HOU/Tomball (same ****).
    Butler is very good friends with CP3 and Harden who were the VERY FIRST PEOPLE TO VISIT HIM IN THE HOSPITOL WHEN HE GOT HURT.
    Butler HATES playing with young guys and loves playing with proven players.
    I can go on and on.....
    MIN wether he trades him to HOU or not knows Butler will ultimately end up where he wants to end up. MIN knows they can’t compete for a championship anytime soon so trading Butler East or West probabaly doesn’t matter.

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  9. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Man if you stuck to posts like these instead of takes on ACapela, you would be so much more valuable to the board. :D

10. craguin

craguin Member

About Teterboro - "Teterboro is the oldest operating airport in the New York and New Jersey metropolitan area."

*edit - probably just paying a visit...

#70 craguin, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Man, I gotta get me a twitter account...
    [​IMG]

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

disagree on this, it made no sense for him to accept that extension

The max the Wolves could have offered him on an extension was 4/110 which is what they offered him. Why would he ever accept that when he can get 4/140 from another team or 5/188 from the Wolves as a free agent? Even if he desperately wanted to stay with the Wolves, he’s still declining that extension.

it’s the same reason why Kyrie said signing an extension with the Celtics didn’t make financial sense

13. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Luol Deng? It could help the team, but pretty much a drop in the bucket.

14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

i know all of these reasons and don't disagree that we have somewhat close ties with him. Again, I 100% agree Rockets want Butler and Butler would want us. My issue is with Minnesota. Butler is getting traded and it is a matter of when not if. My problem is that I think he is available now and into the season. LA believes they are getting Butler and Klay or Kawhi. LA is not competitive right now and PG13 burned them badly. Us too. Kawhi is a dream right now. They cannot afford not to go in on Butler when available just like we can't. I am not even mentioning the other teams that can beat our offer. Knight + 2 1sts + extra is what I would do or even substitute Gordon but do they accept that now to complete 3-way? If they don't accept it now I don't think they accept it when they get any other offer. I think it is a good offer if there wasn't so much competition but when you cannot beat the other offers you are essentially waiting, praying, and begging for the other team to accept a weaker deal. That is why I mentioned a bitter pill we could add to helping them out that another team would balk at to give us a competitive advantage. I would hate to take Dieng but that may be what separates us and they may not want the picks. That is very difficult for us to do, ie next to impossible. Butler is an elite talent that every team would desire. He is literally the perfect player for us along with Kawhi. I seriously doubt there is any chance Kawhi will ever be available again until FA so Butler really is the prize here.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'd rank the likelyhood of these guys in this order
    1) Oubre (stacked at that position, in cap hell and he is going to be looking for a payday. Makes him available)
    2) Butler (HUGE threat of leaving. Could force his way out via CP3 method. Is friends with Melo, CP and Harden. They talk.)
    3) Winslow (Core Heat player. They will dump other players to get around money issues. No reason to sacrifice him)
    4) Kawhi (Toronto will ride or die with him. Dont see them moving him before the deadline. Masai made his bet, and will follow through)

Oubre is a legit target to me.

16. basketballholic

You should read my commentary on Capela. It is valuable. You just don't know it yet.

17. basketballholic

He is. So is Butler and Kawhi. If they're moved we can offer as much as anybody will. Morey would then offer to do a sign and trade for them next summer in order to recoup value.

Agree, Winslow is the toughest get. But.....If Miami isn't contending at the deadline.....then a deal involving him, Whiteside, and possibly another player for Gordon, Knight, and Capela may come into play.

I know Winslow is a target. And I'd love to have him. Will settle for Oubre. And acquiring Oubre may be our path to Winslow. Who knows. But both teams need to get out of the tax before the end of the season. And we already know we've had extensive talks with Miami. And Winslow would love coming home. I can't think of a more ideal 3 man to bring in here if we get him. I actually prefer him over Butler and Kawhi.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It means that this deserves its own thread.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay, you guys need to pump the brakes on this Jimmy Buckets thing. You're actually getting me excited now because I'm thinking, "Maury is all-in for this year, and in order to near-guarantee a title, he needs one more big piece." If anyone could find a way, it's Murray.

#80 topfive, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    D-rock likes this.