1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

IRT Melton, Morey already did his job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Aug 31, 2018.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

The value is the flexibility in removing Anderson and having a more tradeable contract for the deadline.

I do not have my hopes high for Chriss. Yes,he playes on a bad team and will now be in a great offense;BUT the argument could be made the same for Jordan Hill,Thomas Robinson etc. Does anyone know if this is one of those guys Morey/the stat team was high on (e.g. Kyle Lowry,Asik)?

Either way;we basically used our draft pick to draft a big man project.

hakeem94, Lawlruschang and topfive like this.
  2. StevieCrossover

There can only be one De Anthony and that man is the Carmelo Anthony.

roslolian likes this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey was savvy enough to realize that with Melo, Melton, and MDA, we had exceeded a healthy amount of Anthony.

4. StevieCrossover

Lol

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What I would've wrote is the Rockets were the second best team last season but lost key pieces. However, as long as the core of Harden, CP3 and Capela they still have a chance to win the chip if staying healthy and the warriors won the champiomship.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm simply making my predictions.....

Here's a few more:

Serena will win the US Open...or she might not
    Tiger Woods will make the Ryder Cup team....or he might not
    The Texans will beat the Patriots in week 1...or they might not

roslolian and Lawlruschang like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All of those are correct in both posts. Except the Patriots and Texans. The Texans will get stomped, absolutely demolished with all certainty.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. theimpossibles1

As your username so perfectly illustrates, you are living in the past.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've enjoyed watching Brandon since his UK days, and fancied him one day becoming pretty good NBA player. His talent wasn't ever utilized/maximized like it will be in our system, with our players, and under MDA. From what I understand, his knee is fine. As a couple have already pointed out, this allows EG to play the two exclusively...lowering probability of injury, heavy minutes...while increasing efficiency. Brandon hasn't played on a good team since his UK days...I look for this guy to step in and play an important role. It's not just about the expiring/facilitator by a long shot.(although, go flexibility)This move brings a player, that likely brings a lot to OUR back court now.. (I think he'll shoot around 38% from 3 here)

*** Chriss oozes potential at both ends...As others have pointed out, MC put together an impressive/ consistent stretch late before injury problems...one commiserate with #8. He'll benefit from the best tutelage a big man can receive, and a tailor made system.

RA, and his 20m in wasted cap space are adios....for rotation players w/upside.

It's potentially a fantastic deal. At minimum, I believe it to be damn good.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is my username supposed to evolve itself over time and change?? I mean it was created in 2002. What an odd post lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. theimpossibles1

Admitted emotional reaction to your Texans haterism.

P.S. Pele is old as sh*t tho. :p;)

peleincubus likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

"Locking in gains" with a draft bust and another Anderson-like contract? I don't see how we actually gained here. None of the players we got are going to help us win a championship. Just my opinion.

13. fattz

fattz Member

Still saving judgment because Melton filled a need on the team that is still needed after the trade. More then Melton’s play on the court. Really really cheap controled contracts that play both defense and offense. With two mega maximum contracts locked in for years to come playable minimal contracts are very much needed. Even if Melton turned into 1/2 player most think he will become he still would have purpose till someone better came along. Cheap roster spot, less than veteran’s minimum. Scola & Parsons where both heroes till they got paid.

14. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

not odd at all given what you said about texans vs pats

15. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

MC at <5m team option for next year, otherwise becomes expiring, and BK becomes an expiring contract next summer also

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That makes a TON of sense. Keep it up

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Chriss is a C and only a C. He was good as a C in the limited time he got to play at that position. Domanatas Sabonis was terrible as a PF for OKC, but was quite serviceable as a backup C with the Pacers last season. We all know how terribly the Dwight/Asik experiment went as well. Chriss is not a PF and I think a lot of his problems came with being in a poorly run organization. There's no guarantee that Chriss will improve the way Capela did for us but the Rockets do a very good job of allowing players to do what they're good at and not make them do any more than that.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I totally expected Jimmy Butler and an unprotected pick for Ryan Anderson but only got a competent backup and former lotto big man. Rox got hosed on this deal big time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's still amazing he turned Ryan Scrubberson into a player who deserves to be in the rotation and two guys with potential all without using up picks.

Like you said he already rectified his mistake so you still have to give him credit for Harden, Melo, Tucker, Gordon, Cp3, Capela etc and all the good players he signed.

20. fattz

fattz Member

I know that just makes my point. Anderson expires, too. Melton value to the team was more than just one season. Where are you going to get cheap serviceable contracts going forward? Over half of the cap is tied up for the next four seasons in two players. (Not complaining). Melo is a rental even when we win the championship this season. We need value controlled contracts. Even Budenger was loved till he needed to get paid.