1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This might be the most successful thread I've ever started. Usually my threads are trash and get 1-2 replies at most. Hooray me.

No Worries and RudyTBag like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's not realistic is insinuating Hassan Whiteside was fixed. He has always been statistically productive, so increasing his minutes will undoubtedly increase his totals. If you gave Anthony Randolph or Terrence Williams 30 minutes, they would do the same. IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE PROGRESSED.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

7' 0.5" w/ 39" vert

Haymitch likes this.
  4. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Big guys need time to develop.
    Teams used to draft bigs 19 years old, and then they surrend quickly.

5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Tweeting about James Harden claiming that half his points are free throws and that all he does is flop suggests that he's a dumbass. Will he be out of the league like other former Rockets that made similar tweets/posts (Lawson, Nick Johnson)? Probably.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so it wasn't just that the environment there was toxic, but the kid had personal issues last season and didn't take well to triano's discipline either (he had been close w/ earl watson and was upset when he got canned). also didn't help that he didn't take the previous offseason serious enough and then showed up to camp overweight and out of shape. he's basically an overly sensitive easily triggered stereotypical millennial. but he's also a very talented one who can effectively stay in front of guards on the perimeter, sky for unfathomable recovery blocks, and of course dunk.

if you re-watch the march 30th game against us, he contested harden into 4 consecutive 3pt bricks in the first half. and numerous times all game he was open for rim runs and alley-oops, but the phoenix guards were just too incompetent to either see the plays or make decent passes. he also made his share of rookie type mistakes (ie. ill-advised passes and poor boxouts). but overall his body language and attitude were fine. he was also a willing passer and team player on both ends. he actually seemed to outplay capela this game.

if you watch him in interviews he's not tjones or stromile or twill dumb. apparently he's a bookworm and his fav hobby is photography. still raw at age 21 and only having played bball since age 14 i can't say if he's going to get it together in time to warrant any regular playing time on an elite team like ours. but to say that there's no chance of that, i can't agree w/ that assessment based on what i've seen so far.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

at the end of our last game against PHO, both harden and chriss hugged at halfcourt

8. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

That's the funny thing about Harden. He doesn't seem to hold any grudges.

9. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

When did I say that he has no chance?

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

He needs to work with John Lucas immediately to get him up to speed

clutchdabear and fattz like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Its not that he's not talented or skilled. He's just extremely raw and has an attitude problem. Also he has low bbiq and often lets his emotions gets the best of him.

Good news is, he'll have a lot of good mentors for him on this team unlike on the Suns and two of the best passing guards in the league to feed him.

If he doesn't show signs of improvement on this team, then he might as well be out of the league when his contract is up.

fattz and RudyTBag like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. The great thing about Chriss is that this is his last chance. We are going to get the best he's got. For that, I am doubtful, but excited.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

That’s fine, but where we differ is I don’t think the reason is solely based on his ability. Not saying he’s completely absolved but I think there were other reasons that factored into it as well.

Like I said, we’ll see how he plays here.

14. riko

riko Member

He could be another Stromile Swift or Thomas Robinson or he could thrive off the pick and roll with Harden who btw is the best pick and roll passer in the league and become a long term backup for Clint.

Not even mentioning Paul here who also will feed him lobs on a silver platter.

Hell Chriss actually has a 3 pt shot so he could be a nice pick and pop player as well.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Whatever Chriss is, we’ll find out by game 1. If he has CP3 yelling at him all training camp and can survive that abuse to crack the rotation, then he has an NBA future. Otherwise he’s toast. It does not get any better for a young big than to be taken under the tutelage of CP3 and Harden in a D’Antoni System no less. This is his best shot, and we’re all rooting for him to make it. Unless of course we flip him for some unnamed star 3nD guy, in which case, Go! Unnamed 3nD guy!

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

It was common knowledge before the draft that Chriss was a raw prospect(learned the game late) that will need a few years to develop. So with that in mind his first year was decent, he was even second team all rookie. All this negativity, talk about being a bust and this being his last stop before being out of the league(really? he's barely college junior age) stems from "regressing" his second season. Correct? If that's the case, are we just going to ignore the fact that the Phoenix Suns did not have a real NBA caliber point guard at any point last year? Do you think that would have an effect on the production of big men who rely on being setup by their teammates, particularly the PG?

Look, anyone who tells you they know about Marquese Chriss in this thread is blowing smoke up your ass. They've watch him the few times he played the Rockets at most, and looked up some youtube videos like the rest of us. Suns fans think he sucks, and he mostly has sucked, going by the numbers. But that's not news, he was always supposed to take a few years to develop. Fact is that no one, not Suns fans who have watched his every game, has seen how he would perform in a stable functional environment with actual NBA talent around. Or watch him play for a coach who have had even a single game's worth of NBA head coaching experience before being hired to become one.

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about him either, especially how he will turn out. But from the scouting reports I've read a few things stood out. University of Washington employed a switch heavy defense and Chriss' ability to stay in front of guards was one of his strengths going into the draft. Last season on the Suns, opponents scored 0.80 points/possession against him after a switch, so at least some of that scouting has come to fruition. Guess who employs a switch heavy defense in the NBA who just paid their center $80m to do just that. I also know that Chriss' biggest drawback right now statistically is his scoring efficiency, that is going to skyrocket next year playing next to CP3 and Harden. So PER, TS% will all be much higher. If Terrence Jones can play off of just Harden and put up 20 PER and 0.60 TS%, any bigman with a semblance of athletic ability can too. Now just because he will have better counting stats(these are not advanced) doesn't mean he will be a better player. I don't know if he will be, and no one else does either, he is a raw unmolded 21 years old and anything can happen.

BaselineFade, fattz and pippendagimp like this.
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

TL;DR version

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

was just referring to some of the other posts here saying that

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sheds some light on his second year regression:

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/spor...l-health-jay-triano-ryan-mcdonough/382498002/

BaselineFade and craguin like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not to pick on your post ….. just that I've read three pages and see so many posts with similar statements ….

Watching his highlights , many were on the defensive end - some pretty spectacular chase down from behind blocks , another at the rim saving a dunk to end regulation …. a couple others denying the rim on the fast break.

Many of those were hustle type plays that don't get made by a guy who doesn't put out effort. Defense is all about effort.

Also that team sucks , its not unheard of for players mailing it in when playing for those type of teams.

I haven't watched a whole lot of him …. just pointing out that the "highlights" I've seen show a different player than the one everyone here is describing.

I see a guy who can play above the rim and cannot create his own shot forced to play with poor guards , may have been frustrated playing for a lottery team in his last stop.

The fact that PHX threw him in that deal says they don't believe he'll be more than a role player but that's really all this team would require of him , give a few quality minutes against the other teams 2nd unit.

On a side note , I wasn't all that thrilled with the haul from trading Anderson & his contract , I was hoping for a bigger deal later in the season , maybe a rental on a marginal star type. I suppose that deal can still be made but then we're talking about a team taking back multiple contracts (roster spots) rather than one lump contract which complicates matters - Watch PHX turn Ryno into a solid asset next season while all he does in the mean time is help them lose games and reach the salary floor. Win Win for PHX.

#140 Corrosion, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    dmoneybangbang likes this.