1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

A dumb kid who badly needed a change of scenery.

Not sold on him actually being any good though. From what little I've seen, he seems to lack strength, awareness, and motor on the defensive end. But he turned 21 last month and he has some tools.

clutchdabear and da_juice like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of the jordan hill acquisition in many ways. He is more athletic with less of a post game. Hopefully he blossoms.

amaru, Invisible Fan, xaos and 2 others like this.
  3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

The male brain isn't fully developed till about 25 years of age. So there is a glimmer of hope.

Elephant810, clutchdabear and topfive like this.
  4. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of premature judgement on this kid. The situation in Phoenix hasn't been a good one, that's why they were willing to pay Ariza $15 million just to be a positive veteran presence. I'll give him a chance to prove himself now that he is with a good organization with better teammates.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm on the no hope side. I've barely watched him and he just doesn't look very good even in his highlights. I hope I'm wrong and this is by far the best place for him to have a chance to succeed.

da_juice likes this.
  6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Reminds me too much of Jordan Hill or Thomas Robinson. If any team can squeeze some juice out of this rock its here;but I don't see it

7. PeppermintCandy

I would love to see the Rockets send him to the G League and have him work with a really good big man coach.

Capela did that with Jack Sikma in his first year, and I think it had a huge impact on his development.

RudyTBag and amaru like this.
  8. lalala902102001

He's still very young and definitely still has some potential. If we can fix him we would get a steal in the trade. Otherwise he's got one year left on his contract.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You can make a pretty strong case that his numbers are skewered significantly from the lack of quality guards to feed him the ball in Phoenix. For a guy who has no ability to make a play off the dribble, that's a HUGE handicap and obviously that won't be the case in Houston. I'm not saying he is going to be good, but I think his numbers will improve significantly just from being around a stronger group of playmakers. Having Criss mentor under Clint Capela will also be a positive influence on the type of game he could develop for himself....but honestly I think it's a win for Houston if:
    A.) Chriss becomes a valuable trade chip to upgrade at the Wing position
    B.) Chriss can be solid enough to stay on the floor in backup minutes so we don't have to burn out what little Nene has left.
    C.) Chriss' shot blocking helps hide some of the perimeter defensive problems Melo will introduce in the 2nd unit.

.....the downside is, if he is too bad to play in even 2nd string units, then we have sacrificed a little depth and maybe exposed Nene a little bit - but all in all considering how little we actually used/needed Anderson last year, it's a good risk/reward especially because Knight has been a decent(albeit inefficient) playmaker when healthy....

10. valorita

valorita Member

Focus on positives.

-great athlete, touted as the best in his class
    -switchability
    -has some range on his shot, albeit inconsistent
    -rim protecting instincts

MrSabotage likes this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chriss is one of my least favorite players in the NBA. He has a sorry attitude, has flatlined already and isn't worth a dime. He reminds me of T-Rob because the only reason people say he has potential is because of how high he was drafted.

I seriously doubt this loser finishes the season with the Rockets. The odds of him being satisfied playing the role of practice fodder on a championship contender is low. Would be best if Morey dumped him prior to camp.

clutchdabear and da_juice like this.
  12. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Everyone remembers how much better T-Mac made other players around him? Well CP3 and Hardon is 20 times better at specifically that. Chriss will be our backup and he will benefit greatly from the two stars.

The Dream better be one of his first calls to make and Capela and Himself need to stick to each other like Tucker sticks to Hardon.

I think Chriss being on a Championship caliber team will force him to bring his best every night.

raining threes and Red Chocolate like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Unlike ALL those other GMs who trade for lotto busts that turn into solid players. :rolleyes:

By definition, a lotto bust is a longshot. You take a chance and hope for the best. Once in a great while, one suddenly gets it (Whiteside), but WAY more often, they remain busts (Thabeet).

But we traded a non-contributing walking mega-contract and a longshot mid 2nd-rounder. If we get ANYTHING AT ALL from Chriss, it'll be more than we were likely to get from Ryno and Melton this year.

Oh yeah, and Morey got the Suns to throw in their starting PG, too.

What a horrible deal. :D

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

This much we know. The Suns gave up on him after two seasons. He has a reputation as a low basketball IQ player. It seems he has a bad attitude. He's very athletic.

Sounds a lot like Eddie Griffin or TJones.

Hopefully being around veteran players and being on a contender will make a difference.

I'm not going to get my hopes up. We will see.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yup as I said we basically drafted Chriss instead of Anthony and swapped Andersons contract for Brandon Knight;who I dont believe was the starter or was going to be the starter. He's oft injured no?

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He can run rim to rim, he can catch and dunk lobs, decent rebounder, decent 3, and he has two HOF playmakers now of which at least one will always be on the court. He will be fine.

raining threes and Red Chocolate like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Knight was injured last year, but otherwise has had a pretty healthy career. And he's started 84% of the NBA games he's played in. Definitely a starting-caliber PG for a mediocre-bad NBA team, and a far better backup PG than MCW.

da_juice likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Difference now is that we are gambling an a No 8 pick to crack the rotation.

Not be our saving grace. Can we teach him to set picks and rim roll? Can he jump over the rim? If so then this was a steal. We also have CP3 insurance now.

This was a pleasant surprise. Been hoping for another C for a while now.

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I was going to say no chance until I found out he is only 21. Don't think he would contribute much this season, but he should be decent in a couple years from now for a different team.

20. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

He’s not good, All he does is flop and shoot free throws

......oh wait, that’s what he tweeted about Harden! #Dumbass