1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True or False: Tyler White will be/ is our DH of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 28, 2018.

?

Pick one

1. Real: yes, I believe so

42 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. False: absolutely not

31 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2019 playing time distribution by # of GS, assuming good health:
    C: TBD
    1B: Gurriel 90, White 72
    2B: Altuve 145, Gurriel 17
    SS: Correa 145, Bregman 17
    3B: Bregman 130, Gurriel 32
    RF: Tucker 135, Springer 17, Reddick 10
    CF: Springer 120, Marisnick/Kemp 42
    LF: Reddick 115, Marisnick/Kemp 47
    DH: White 70, TBD catcher 20, Gurriel/Altuve/Correa/Bregman/Reddick/Springer/Tucker/Kemp 50, Sept callups 10.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most likely scenario, but the team could go for a 1B/DH if that is what the market ends up dictating. I think ideally they will find someone capable of playing SS. Sure, we have 2 regardless, but if either gets hurt, we don't really have anyone to even fill in temporarily. At the very least it will be a need to sign a SS to a minor league contract that you could expect replacement level production from.

3. right1

right1 Member

I really enjoyed the pretend you have something in your eye and can't see, call on the trainer for some visine and proceed to hit the next pitch for a 3-run bomb.

marks0223 likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

Nice chart!

Also, I doubt it happens for many reasons, but if I was the GM I'd look to try and trade Yuli, and resign Gonzalez at a fair price. I like Marwin much better, as he's a switch hitter, has much better versatility, and is a longer-tenured Astro and has meant far more to the team over the years. But yeah, that looks pretty good.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are an infinite number of Reid Brignac types who can be signed to AAA in case something terrible happens. But I’m a believer in Jack Mayfield being able to fill that role.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yuli doesn't have trade value. He'd be below average at 1B or 3B and will be an overpriced utiltity guy. They'd have to ship him off with a decent prospect considering he's got 2 years/~$19m left on his contract.

Lol "resign at a fair price". I guarantee that the Astros' idea and Marwin's idea of a "fair price" is significantly different. This is probably his one and only shot at a big FA deal and he should be hunting for Ben Zobrist- money and the Astros should be sprinting away from paying a back-up (much less non-star) that kind of money.

MrBear1 likes this.
  7. juicystream

Reid Brignac has provided negative WAR for 6 straight seasons. Not the type of player we need in AAA, and something we don't have this year in AAA. And FWIW, Jack Mayfield should not play SS in the bigs. Not the type I'd want.

8. juicystream

Prior to what happened this past offseason, Yuli's deal pretty reasonable. I think a team would take him without a prospect, you just aren't getting anything of value back.

Will the market be like last offseason, or open a bit as teams are not as focused on avoiding the tax since they are no longer repeating taxpayers? Marwin should ask for $50M+, but realistically may need to settle for more like $30M. Astros should be interested in up to a 3 year deal up to $10M/year. More than that, you pretty much need to spend your resources elsewhere as your roster gets pricier.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Marwin at that price would be a steal. At $7 million per WAR, Marwin's value is close to double of that.

I do think that Marwin will struggle to find the big deal this offseason, since I think being a utility IF likely hurts his value, right or wrong.

10. TheresTheDagger

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Whichever one wins the WS MVP gets the first base gig next year. I bet Yuli.

12. xcrunner51

Dunno man. Basically league-average offensive production, below average defensively at corner IF positions, going into his age 35 season and making ~$10m per year for the next two years. PLUS the racial incident.

I can't imagine any team voluntarily takes that off the Astros' hands.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Doubt teams view Gurriel this way going forward. He's basically average this year playing through an injury that seems to have zapped his power. I think most teams expect he'll be better next year.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Says who? Marwin is probably priority #1 of the Astros offseason

15. xcrunner51

I doubt that. Long-term catcher solution is a much more important priority.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Things Higher on the Priority List

Cole extension
    Correa extension
    Bregman extension
    Schedule seventeen games to give away 2018 World Series Replica Rings
    Springer extension
    White extension
    Parade
    Acquire an ace

Poloshirtbandit and Tomstro like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Can Marwin play catcher? We know he has a gun for an arm. All problems solved. :D

18. HTown2017Champs

I'd definitely swap Correa and Bregman. Bregman seems to have far more enthusiasm and will probably be more important to the team going forward, and Correa has possible concerns with his back and oblique. As for the acquire an ace, we might be set for at least 2019 internally, but for the 2019/20 offseason, that should be a priority. And White, well, I love watching him play, but let's wait and see if he really is a keeper.
    I'd strongly target Realmuto if he's available. If not, go after Grandal, or maybe see if Barnhart from the Reds is available (doubt it though) as an alternative to the first two.
    We'll see what the market is for Marwin, maybe we can keep him. As for Gurriel, the signing made sense at the time, and he has been very important to us, but I think for 2019/20 his importance will really dwindle, and we have younger alternatives waiting in the wings. I would, however, disagree with the assertion that his 1B defense is below average. It was that way last year, but he has clearly improved tremendously.

19. what

what Member

Funny I was thinking lately: are we really getting the best josh Reddick? I think he would be a much better hitter if he had protection, like last year. Move him to 2 slot would he be a better hitter?

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

For whom? I don't think the Astros would pay Marwin $10M annually for 3+ years.