1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 20, 2018.

1. SemisolidSnake

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

success!

TheMystery008 likes this.
  4. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Yes ! Pulled it out !

5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Good job Rondon and congrats to Valdez on his first w.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Double plays...situational hitting...blah blah blah. Give me the W, even if we broke a franchise record for GIDP along the way

Tomstro likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Team just needs to get healthy....

Awful injury luck to your best players.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Encouraging game from Correa. Think the bats are about to come on.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

This is where we come back and do better right?

10. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Well but the issue is they aren’t even trying. They are very content to swing away.

Hakeem once said “humble and hungry”.

The humble and hungry approach is to exercise great plate discipline, bunt, run the bases, hit the other way and claw out runs. We did this to an extent in the 2017 playoffs. Game 7 first inning was great manufacturing of 2 runs when Altuve and bregs both grounded opposite field.

The arrogant approach is to swing at the first pitch, try to pull the ball no matter what and swing as hard you can regardless of count.

I don’t think it’s s possible for a team exercising the former to lead the league in double plays. But I think a team who’s approach is the latter can easily get suckered into GIDP because they are basically indifferent towards a concerted effort by opposing pitchers to throw pitches in locations designed to induce ground balls.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. rdsgonzo13

quietly Cleveland is playing great great baseball. Two straight wins in Fenway. Wow.

Another season where Cleveland is disappointing the first half of the season and then explodes in the second half.

What is scarier? Cleveland’s starting staff or Boston’s lineup?

The AL playoffs will be a bloodbath with Cleveland Boston New York and hopefully Astros and Oakland. Any one of these teams would be favored to win the NL!

12. HTown2017Champs

Extra insurance, more flexibility (when we start to pull ahead some of our main guys can get an off day here and there to rest them for the playoffs). Big fan of his switch hitting bat, I feel the lineup is too righty-heavily, and I've said that a lot. Especially since we face the Indians in the ALDS when we win the division (yes, we will). Also, Gattis probably does not belong on a WS roster if we make him. In NL parks all he'd do is pinch hit once and that's that. Extra defensive value comes especially in handy in those games.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

14. HTown2017Champs

For the record, if we trade for Smoak:

Springer CF
    Bregman 3B
    Altuve 2B
    Correa SS
    Smoak 1B/DH (S)
    Gurriel 1B/DH
    Reddick RF (L)
    Gonzalez LF (S)
    McCann C (L)

Bench: Marisnick, White, Maldonado
    Rotation: Verlander/Cole/Keuchel/Morton
    Bullpen: Rondon/McCullers/Osuna/Smith/McHugh/Peacock/Pressly/Devenski; Valdez/Sipp/Perez battle for the last spot

Nice balance there, down to 5 RHH in the lineup, with two of the non-RHH being switch hitters. Jake is the pinch runner/defensive sub, White is the pinch hitter, Maldonado the backup catcher (could also start). I like the way the pitching is in my roster, just need more time to decide who the best LHR is. I LOVE Kemp, but it looks like he's cooling (or as another poster said, regression to the mean; I don't think his numbers in AAA were THAT high), and his defense is not as good as Marisnick/Springer/Reddick/Gonzalez.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nice showing for a guy who was pitching in the lowest level of minor league baseball three years ago.

16. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

[​IMG]

Excuse me

17. rdsgonzo13

Absolutely. At this point any win is gold. Only bad win is if it occurs with a key player getting hurt.

But a win that occurred despite some seriously poor offensive and defensive play that must improve if we are to have another deep playoff run against a loaded AL field.

The young pitcher saved our bacon tonight.

Tomstro likes this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

It's a dice roll. 1-4 are outs, 5 is a walk/non-HR hit, 6 is a HR. Mostly all or nothing, way too streaky. And I already explained why DH-only guys are a problem on a WS roster (Assuming we make it). Our hitting lineup is way too RH heavy, part of trading for Smoak is to balance it. I also feel like Smoak (or another trade for a bat) might just provide that extra spark we need, the way JV did that last year. If Gattis is red hot in September and White cools down considerably, then you can sub in Gattis for White, though it sucks that he can't play anywhere on the field at least serviceably.

19. Buck Turgidson

Did we win the game?

There's a thread or 5 already for your tradey stuff. Thanks for not mentioning Realmuto.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  20. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Nice to wake up to an Astro win this morning. After reading about it, it looks like we were lucky to win with all the DP's we hit into. No help from the Rangers. They truly ****. I wish I had time to watch the replay but we are catching a plane to the west coast. Going to the game Fri night against the Angels. I hope our hungry we want to win offense shows up and Keuchel throws a gem and doesn't throw gopher balls. Just like the offense is inconsistent you never know what type of game you are going to get out of him.