1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Salsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Do not buy the Italian rose refrigerated salsa. Gross

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I think that's the stuff you can get at Sam's. If it is, holy hell, that **** is disgusting. It's like they chopped up some tomatoes and squeeze an equal amount of lime juice in it. Stay away.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

It was at Walmart, so potentially. I ate 5 bites and tossed it.

4. Buck Turgidson

Uh, yeah, 'cause I know when I expect quality, I go to ****ing Walmart.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We like Mark's a lot. I'm not a big salsa eater but my wife will go through at least 1 jar a week of Mark's medium.

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I like to buy the fresh pico that HEB makes (in the produce area). Get the kind labeled HOT. Then I buy an ear or two of corn, a can of black beans, a jalapeno, limes and cilantro.

Roast the corn and shuck it. Combine the shucked corn, black beans (drained and rinsed), and the pico. Add lime juice, salt, pepper and cilantro to taste. I'll dice the jalapeno if there's not enough heat and add a little at a time.

Better than any salsa I've ever had... but it ain't "sauce."

7. donkeypunch

Tried the raved about Arriba Hot and it was alright but nothing to write home about. It was definitely spicy to sit there and continuously eat, and I usually eat pretty spicy.

Also tried Hazelwood's habanero. It was gross - had a sweet taste but an oddly satisfying smokey hickory flavor to it.

All about
    [​IMG]

K mf G and Blatz like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Recently tried the medium. They also had "Restaurant Style" but I don't know what that is.

It's good, very tomato-y. My wife liked that because it gives the illusion of freshness, which is nice when you're dipping chips from a bag into sauce from a jar.

Also had this recently. Red (medium) and green.

Green was ok, nothing amazing, but would have again.

Red was very good. Had a tangyish aftertaste which both the wife and I liked. Liked others have said though, it's really not spicy.

9. Buck Turgidson

This stuff is the t***:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/VPLMQ"><a href="//imgur.com/VPLMQ"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This stuff is completely inedible. Worse than Pace. I thought this was a famous restaurant?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/jvBX6"><a href="//imgur.com/jvBX6"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can understand the fascination with Joe T Garcia's, because the location is magnificent. But that's where it ends. Probably the lamest Mexican food I've ever had at a restaurant in Texas, not counting one in Hemphill, TX I went to. That bottle you bought is probably exactly what they serve at the restaurant.

btw: does anyone else thing Rick Bayless' Frontera line has taken a noticeable drop in quality, in the past 2 years or so?

DFWRocket likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Bought a jar of this on a whim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't have any chips, so I can't give it the chips & salsa test, but it was outstanding on my fried eggs this morning.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I like Pain Train's Perfect Hot salsa.

[​IMG]

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My current brand of choice is Clint's Texas Salsa Hot. Granted, I haven't tried all the store bought brands but this one is better than most. I used be a Texas Texas Salsa guy but they stopped carrying the particular one in the brand I used to get at my grocer.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I made the mistake of buying some HEB brand salsa that was sweet onion based.
    Not a fan of sweetness in salsa.

[​IMG]

However, this stuff is excellent.

15. Buck Turgidson

Yep, that's been my go-to since I started this thread. I don't eat chips often so I've been going with the Hot. The Hatch version (green label) has great flavor, I just wish it was hotter.

16. donkeypunch

Trader Joes has one called Fall Harvest, when I looked at it, I was like WTF? It has pumpkin, apples, and butternut squash in it; not typical ingredients of a salsa. Out of sheer curiosity, I grabbed one and have enjoyed it very much, surprisingly.

17. Buck Turgidson

Rocket River likes this.
  18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Joe T's has excellent atmosphere. Absolutely gorgeous place. But I wholeheartedly agree about the food - while I thoroughly enjoy their salsa, the rest of their food is just average at best. You go there for the drinks and beauty, definitely not the food.

I disagree about the store-bought Joe T's salsa though. We love the salsa at the restaurant where it's fresh, but it definitely taste different in the jar - Pretty sure they add some types of preservatives and it definitely changes the taste.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. body slam

body slam Member

Hell on the Red use to be great but for some reason I have not bought it in a long time.

20. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely not as good as you remember it. Old man used to love that stuff back when I was a kid, so I tried it again recently....thumbs down.