1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Per Woj : Melo expected to come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

no superstar alive is playing just 25 or so mpg during the regular season

CP3 will get at least 30 mpg as the Rockets push for the #1 seed again since our chances of beating GS without HCA are not good at all

#241 Reeko, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

There is low likelihood of CP3, Melo, Gordon, and Harden all being healthy at the same time

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but there is that great line about GM's and managers who listen to the fans end up sitting with them.

Richie_Rich and hakeem94 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

while we're at it, lets play harden 20 mins a night

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've been dogging Melo and will continue to, but right now it looks like he should start. Not be default but given the personnel. We need a power forward. Love Tucker, but at small forward. The only other competition is Anderson, and if he even sticks around he doesn't appear to be in the rotation. I hope we add a power forward soon, but right now it's Melo. Besides, given our double playmaker rotation with Paul and Harden taking turns running the offense, what we need Melo to do is to be the other second playmaker opposite Eric Gordon. My gut feeling is that Gordon gets paired with Harden and Melo gets paired with Paul. So, Melo will start with Paul and sit when Paul sits, with Eric Gordon subbing in for him.

Houtho and mathor like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you don't call Ryan's high pick for Harden a Pick n Pop play, I don't know what to say.

Maybe argue less, and try to find agreement. I was trying to agree with you, on how to ISO Melo vs GSW, specifically Curry. I'm just saying, we won't just dump it to Melo, like GSW does to Durant, requiring him to ISO his primary defender. We can get Melo ISO'd into switching mismatches via our high, pick n Pop play.

Just for clarity, here are some examples of Melo in High PnP...of course, no one is using switching defense in the Olympics, so no examples of using it to get Melo in an ISO off switching. But these should jar your memory of how Ryno pops.
    • Here is Paul and Melo running the classic Harden/Ryno High Pick n Pop. 1:20 time mark.
    • Imagine the defender closing out faster, then Melo doing a real, head-fake and drive, that Ryno can't do.

• Here is Klay and Melo doing a sideline Pick n Pop

• Here is Kyrie doing a keeper on the pick and Pop with Melo. 1:50 mark

btw: I also expect Melo to run DHO plays that we give Gordon.

You seem stuck trying to define Pick n Pop by where the pick is (i.e. Midrange?). This isn't the Karl Malone era that LMA is trying to keep alive. This is the era of Stretch 4s. If you aren't rolling after a high pick, you are popping in a manner that maintains spacing. In this offense, MDA only has Capela roll; everyone else either pops or looks to set/take another pick to flare. Melo actually might roll, too, in small lineups.

-------------------------------------------
    Lastly, here is Rubio talking about how well KAT can shoot, so they run both PnR and PnP

He uses both Roll and Pop terminology

Here's the high, PnP...two in a row to KAT

s3ts, clutchdabear, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

8. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Uh, J.R. Smith is in this video.

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

If I know my man MDA, CP3/Harden/Melo playing 40 minutes a night

smoothie likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Noticed that too. And he ran off camera like he didn't wanna be seen haha

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Ryno trade? I.D.I.O.T?

Mathloom likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's bc they're in New York at the Lifetime athletic sky where all the social media vids come from

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Ah, okay cool. False alarm.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not sure if brought up before but I noticed that Carmelo's name was listed on "The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon" as the first guest last night. But, they had Ryan Reynolds instead.

I guess Carmelo skipped out to sign his contract.

Why would you have Carmelo as first guest anyway? Thought it was weird.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's not coming off the bench for james ennis or ryno. its nice that he's open to the idea if someone bets him out for the spot, but no one is gonna do that on this roster.

even if we trade for a starting caliber F, if its before camp then sure he might come off the bench... but if its at the deadline and he's been starting for 45 games then i doubt they make that switch.

tl:dr- chances of melo coming off the bench are the exact same as chances of ryno being traded for a starting F before camp starts.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

Or not Harden has not broken down and missed large parts of season past. Harden’s playing time has always been really high since signing with the Rockets so let it be till it no longer works. Different players have different needs.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't think its about anyone beating someone for a spot. It's about what fits for the team and gives the roster that balance and versatility. You already have two guys who command the ball in their hands and rightfully so in this offense. Yet apparently another player that needs the ball in his hands to be effective is for some reason not the starter. One that also isn't a defensive player nor does any of the intangibles that is needed from the wing spot. Why that's puzzling to what seems to be alot of people is beyond me.

EG could easily beat ariza or tucker to be in the starting lineup but hes not bc thats not what is the ideal role is for this team. Its not about who is the better player. He just fits and contributes more to the team winning in a role off the bench

Houtho likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly, would feel great about this signing if he indeed is coming off the bench. Would show he's matured and understands that appearances don't matter + I WANT HIM TO PLAY HIS GAME and his game is not worth playing when CP3 and James Harden are both on the floor.