1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"We are a better team than last year," says the Tillman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we are not (a better team than last year), but we're close.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. mockster

mockster Member

Please explain why?.

We lost Ariza and Mbah, that’s it.

Mbah was nothing in the finals. Ariza offense is very replaceable. He had good defense and high energy but I think his defense is more replaceable then you might think. Durant still scored all over him and the high energy plays were contagious anyway.

We got Melo who can score more [and mark my words will have a fantastic season] and Ennis who’s basically mbah but possibly better. We also got Melton who will either play or be trade bait. Improved capela and possibly zhou getting some minutes

And trust me we’re getting something out of Anderson either it be a trade or improvement. Rockets won’t let Anderson rott on the bench if we keep him, they will try dam hard to make the most out of him this year. He’s shown he can play before and will get some production out of him. I guarantee it will be a focus if he stays.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

The financially troubled Tillman is trying to sell tickets & get fans out to thee Tillman Center. @Carl Herrera

SamFisher, hajkov, TexAg713 and 7 others like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Tilman has been a Saint.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think we CAN be better, but we aren't yet.

look at the minutes an injured luc, green, ryno, and nene played in the WCF:

replace them with melo for 24-28mpg and we are better.

however, with no replacement for ariza, we are not as good as last year. lets see what morey gets for ryno. give me johnson or bazemore and ill say we are even better than last year.

Mathloom, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

"no ****" says rocketsballin

macho GRANDE likes this.
  8. penny1magic

penny1magic Member

Couldn't have said it better...right on

jevjnd, hakeem94 and mockster like this.
  9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He is supposed to say that we got better, but I truly think we have gotten better offensively but defensively is still TBD

D-rock likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are not winning 65 games again next year.

Are the Rockets better? Moute and Ennis are a wash.

Ariza and Anthony are not comparable, but the Rockets need another 3 that can switch and defend.

Let’s see what shakes loose with Anderson trade talks.

I don’t think Cousins will help GS as much as some think.

Good job by TF taking a swipe at Westbrook and Ariza in one quote.

Deuce, IvanLCPM, jevjnd and 4 others like this.
  11. BackdoorHarden

He wasn't willing to pay $60 million in luxury tax to pay for Ariza and Luc

Tilman in Financial trouble- clutchfans.com

Madmanmetz and hakeem94 like this.
  12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

100% unproveable.

Ariza is better than Carmelo

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

In what term...???

Game7 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

It is 100% unprovable that Ennis and Moute are a wash... but it IS provable that Ariza is better than Carmelo Anthony?

You didn’t happen to eat the peeling paint off your grandpa’s old house, did you?

15. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Are we better than last year? Ask yourself these questions:

1) Is it possible or do you think our MVP can improve upon his game once more and be even better this upcoming year than last year?

I say I think probably so. Check!

2) Can CP3 stay healthy enough to not miss as many games as last year, but more importantly not get injured during the playoffs?

I say I think and hope so, although his history says otherwise. I think this year it will be even more of a focus than last. But you can't plan for bad luck also. I'm still going with he will be available for all of the playoffs this year and not miss more than 15 games in the regular season. Check!

3) Can Clint ACapela continue as he has every single year in the NBA and improve even more this year?

I think he definitely will. I don't think his getting paid will affect him as it has some other players in the past. On the contrary, I think he will still push to improve and expand his game and show he belongs and earned his contract. I think the article about him and his mentality about the game growing, will also be a big factor in his confidence and ability to dominate regularly. His playoff success should show greatly throughout the regular season. Plus adding another serious offensive threat like Melo means that Clint will likely feast on all of the teams other than GSW during the regular season.

4) Does adding Melo make us better or worse as a team during the regular season and playoffs? (#notanothermelothread)

Forget about the salary, that doesn't matter anymore for one argument or the other. The only thing that matters now is will he help this team win? I think many underestimate how deadly adding Melo to our offensive arsenal will be. Anderson started most of the year last year, I'm going with Melo starting in that spot, although his position title is meaningless in our offensive and defensive schemes. He will do what Ariza and Anderson never could offensively. I think he will average over 18 points a game simply because we know that everyone that leaves Westbrick gets better, and he averaged over 16 per game there. He now has MVP and CP3 that will get more attention than him, but will distribute the ball to him 10 times better than Westbrick and PG13 did. As long as he hustles, which I think he will, we will hide his weaknesses on defense. Ultimately I think the plus on offense will be greater than his negative on defense, similar but not to as big a degree as Harden is. Check!

5) Does losing Ariza hurt us so much defensively that we are a worse team?

Yeah, I'm not mentioning Mboute because while when he played he was important, he missed too many games in the regular season and was a no show basically due to injury and mentality during the playoffs. Of course Ariza will be missed greatly, as he is an experienced vet with Championship experience and a great locker room leader. But lets not kid ourselves, on offense he could get hot and no one could outscore us in those games, but when he was cold he was ice cold and that was more often than not, especially in BIG games like game 7. Sure we wish we could have kept him, but for the money, we had to let him go. I don't think Ennis will be as good as Ariza, but we don't need him to be overall. We only need him to role play and replace about 20 to 24 minutes of amazing defense that Ariza gave us on a 38 minutes basis a night. Now THAT I think Ennis can do. Not to mention, Morey isn't finish yet and can possible get us another defensive wing with the amazing Anderson contract. So I say while this seems to hurt us, with 24 minutes of great defense by Ennis and the additional offensive power of Melo, losing Ariza to me is a wash. Even

6) Does having most of our rotation guys already signed before training camp, plus our big 3 of CP3, MVP and ACapela (what something like 42-3 record?) having a second year of chemistry together make us better or worse as a team this year?

We all know that everyone said that CP3 and Harden wouldn't work, yet they not only worked but were amazing together! That was their first year together. Now they have even more chemistry, know each other's game better, what to expect more, and have an improving Capela locked up into a contract where everyone can just focus on winning a CHIP. I don't know how anyone can not see that that means they will be BETTER than last year! Plus we have Melo and GGreen, not at the trade deadline or coming in at some other point in the season, but for an entire training camp.....along with Ennis and MCW also for now. I fully expect this team to come out in the regular seasons dominating from the beginning and showing that no one is really in their class except the GSW.

TL;DR version: If you don't recognize that we are already better than last years team, even before a possible Anderson trade, you are not really paying attention and recognizing what The Morey has done for this team!!!!

16. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

How is it provable that Ariza is Better than Melo. Are we talking defensively or overall...Cause you cannot prove that Ariza is better than Melo as an overall player...

I can assure you Melo would win in a 1 on 1 game

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m interested to see just how good James Ennis is. He might drop Ariza from memory like Ariza did Parsons.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The Rockets aren’t just better. They’re MUCH better.

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

We were so damn good last year when Ariza and Mbah were out. And Anderson sitting. Now we have Melo playing instead of Anderson sitting. And we have Ennis. It’s so silly how people are saying we aren’t better. Melo has to be better than Anderson and Ennis has to be better than Green.

And we’re not even done! We are destination #1 on the buy out market. We’re still working a trade with Anderson. Frankie says relax.

20. baubo

baubo Member

Waiting need more undercover clutchfans to get Fertilla drunk again so he can tell us what he really thinks about Melo and the team.

iconoclastic and hakeem94 like this.