1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 9, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't think the team is in trouble. And don't think I need to re-evaluate...if I trust that the guys are going to be back and healthy soon. And I do. If that's wrong..then I'm very worried.

jordnnnn likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

There was no way for Luhnow to know Altuve, Correa, Springer, McCann and Marisnick would all be hurt at the same time. Any team missing 3-4 starters in the field would struggle. However the lack of depth in the line up has been known since last year. Still, we almost got Pham and there really were not many bats moved that would have helped us so Luhnow tried.

However at this point, we are so beaten up in the lineup that I admit I am surprised we haven’t added someone that has cleared waivers. We are giving playing time to guys that shouldn’t be getting time on a competitive team. That puts us at a disadvantage.

I agree we don’t hit at home but I don’t think it would have mattered where we played. Look at the lineups and holes in the lineup.

As for the pen, there is nothing more Luhnow can do. He added a top 5 closer and a high strikeout middle reliever to the pen. The Astros pen now may be the deepest and most talented in baseball. If it fails, that’s on them.

I hope we are talking to teams about guys like Beltre, Castellanos, Dietrich, Smoak and Donaldson. None of them should be overly expensive and can always take a lesser role when everyone is healthy.

4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

To me it just seems like the offense and pitching can’t get in sync. First game this series we got 6 runs and the pitching wet the bed. Then we got three straight quality starts and the offense wet the bed. I believe in the power of positive pessimism. We are in a critical stretch now (it shouldn’t have been) and we have no horses in the stables. Bregman has gone in the deep freeze. Gattis is worthless as a DH now. He shot his wad earlier this year. Reddick? Whatever. Correa when healthy has been meh this year. When Altuve comes back how long will it take to get back in rythym? Springer? Will we be on the outside looking in?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  5. Malaya

Malaya Member

Dimensions of the ballpark, esp. the left field?

Domestic duties? like family time, taking care of young kids. On the road, they're solely concerned with baseball.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. HTown2017Champs

Beltre: He's really up in age, and has had a down season this year. I doubt he wants to leave Arlington (they've signaled they're looking to extend him) and he has the right to veto a trade.
    Castellanos: He's having a nice year, but I'd prefer a lefty or switch hitter to balance our lineup.
    Dietrich: I like him, and his versatility, but I have the feeling if he was going to be moved, it'd have happened already.
    Smoak: This is my dream acquisition bat, since Dickerson is on a (surprisingly) contending team. Play him at first, move Yuli to DH. A solid hitter, and a switch hitter.
    Donaldson: I'm a hard no. Guy can't stay healthy to save his life, and Toronto may want us to pay a pretty penny of what's left of his contract this year, and it could end up being all for naught.

7. Buck Turgidson

You use the word "however" as much as I do.

Whatever player they may want to get better play 1B or LF or DH, 'cause I don't know where else they can put anybody.

...again...once...if...everybody gets healthy.

8. Buck Turgidson

The fact that they are demonstrably worse at MMP this year is all I care about. Nobody can explain it.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Gotta get this taste out of our mouths.....it's quite putrid. On to the next one.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

It is a Venezuela deal.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Time to wake up guys!! Batting practice!! Film study!! Time to evaluate yourselves, and what you are doing wrong at the plate. It's not too late!! Injuries happen, but most of our big guns are struggling this year. If and when they do what they are capable of, then this team can beat anybody. Time to focus, coach better, and play better! No excuses.

Last year / This year

Reddick .314 / .249
    Gonzales .303 / .242
    Correa .315 / .261
    Springer .283 / .250
    Gattis .263 / .236 (DH?)

And these guys are even worse than before:

Marisnick .243 / .217
    Fisher .212 / .167
    Davis .226 / .176

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that they play more loose on the road. Perhaps they tighten up unintentionally at home trying to impress or live up to the expectation of repeating. This team has always flourished when having fun and letting the game come to them. At home, they press more.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Castellanos & Dietrich aren't likely to clear waivers.

14. MrBear1

Who cares about guys like Fisher and Davis.

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True, but if we have to use them they aren't much help.

16. MrBear1

White and Kemp have been good though, you can't expect every kid you call up from AAA to produce.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree. As for the others...........well.

18. Buck Turgidson

Lucky for the Stros they'll be the road team in every series if they happen to make the Postseason.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Then we are positioned perfectly :eek:

20. Buck Turgidson

Right where we want 'em?