1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Running Backs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Aug 2, 2018.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

9ers are signing Alfred Morris, who was released by the souther oklahoma team. Wouldve been a nice addition for camp to see what he still has left. Dont understand the sitting on hands part for RBs.

This Alfred is definitely better than the current one rostered and wouldve also played ST, so theres no excuse.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

We like our running back room John. Good group of guys. They come out here & work hard, getting better every day.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Repeat for TEs and OL.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Do you honestly think they need to go out and get more TEs?

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I’m actually having good vibes about the TE position , both Jordans are beasts and the one in the 6th round is supposedly even better

red5rocket and UTSA2step like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

*better

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Seems a little quick to judge. Everyone wanted them to address the position in the offseason, they spent 2 draft picks on it. Some even argued that was too many. People wanted us to address the OL in the offseason, we brought 3 new players to start and didnt spend our entire cap on one player. Couldn't we at least see the rest of preseason. I mean OL you can say we have seen the players, but the TEs they have been nothing but praised since they got here. We needed to address the secondary.. got honey badger and arguably one of the best safeties in the draft. also got one of the best slot corners in the game. All while getting Watt, Mercilus and Covington back.

I swear I think some people will just never be happy.

TheFreak likes this.
  8. showa13

showa13 Member

Welcome to the Texans fan base, where they could go 19-0, blow out everyone along the way, and still have a section of fans who complain about everything

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

My favorite is the ragging on John Harris for his sunshine and rainbows outlook. Like it's not enough to be pissed at the franchise and team for one reason or another, but we also have to complain that other people aren't complaining.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They'd have some still call it "mediocre" because one of the blowouts was only by 20.

11. donkeypunch

All this with no first or second round pick and still plenty of cap space to sign released players.

The one poster that mainly complains is a Ricky smits fan boy and loves to argue for the sake of arguing. Hes calmed down a bunch but he'll rear that ugly head again.

Smacktle, TheFreak and houstonstime like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL It's not that serious. It's the preseason. Everything said during the preseason is pretty much hyperbole. Including the praise the tight ends have received from camp. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying the Texans could use better tight ends. If you ranked all the position groups, even the biggest optimist would rank tight end near the bottom of the list. If the Patriots offered the Texans Gronk/Walker/Kelce/Olson/Graham/Rudolph/Reed/etc for a mid-round pick, they take that trade everyday and twice on Sunday. That's a better tight end. Even with all the praise they're giving the ROOKIE tight ends. We've heard this before. The same people gave the offensive line praise last off-season.

And about the draft picks. I've stated that I wasn't impressed with the selections at the time. Selecting two draft picks doesn't mean much if at least one of them turns out very good. I didn't think either of them would but I've also stated I'm willing to eat crow if I'm wrong.

13. Mr. Clutch

I don't think Nimo argues for the sake of arguing

donkeypunch likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Exactly, the TEs could be good, but one is a development pick and the other isn't really known for blocking. So yeah I think signing a solid vet would have been a good idea.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I finally learned a few years ago not to give any credence to what's said in or about preseason.

Bobbythegreat and Nimo like this.
  16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Don't we still have to sign Clowney, eventually?...

I mean, I'm sure the course they're taking (in terms of cap impact and huge contracts signed) is let's wait and let him play out the final year of his contract. If he keeps this elite level of play and of course if he exceeds that level of pay, he will become worth of every penny.

Cap flexibility isn't something that's often coveted by NFL teams, since the player's contracts in large part are not guaranteed or fueled by incentives.

I'm hoping the Texans are taking a bit more of an analytical approach to the team. Especially with RB and knowing how short their shelf life(s) become in the NFL.

We have; Lamar Miller, Alfred Blue, D'onta Foreman, Tyler Ervin, and Troymaine Pope currently in the stable. Why add more risk and questions than answers to an already unclear backfield?

We're one preseason game in and people are already throwing b****fits on our RB, TE, OL play. It would be smart to go ahead and let the preseason play out instead of signing some outdated plodder of a recycled RB to add to our already tumultuous group of RBs take that same wait and see approach.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hang on, let me come up with an argument against that.

Smacktle, houstonstime and Mr. Clutch like this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Clowney's injury is very concerning. He had a knee scope in Jan I think? And he's still getting brought along slowly. I think the defense has enough to be pretty good without him, so no need to offer a risky contract at this point. Although I can't imagine he's happy about it.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree with the injury and contract portion.

But not about the portion of our defense being pretty good without him. Not while JJ Watt has yet to prove he's back to full strength JJ or even half strength JJ for that matter.

If we happen to lose JJ AND Clowney through one season, our defense could be looking to fill in some critical production on our D-line. That's not an easy task to fulfill within a season.

20. donkeypunch

JJ is already locked into a contract, so we have to hope he is back to JJ. This gives us this year, for the wait and see with Clowney. Dont forget about Whitney, hes got his contract and coming back as well. This Ejifior kid looks like the real deal too. So, I think this defense would be fine without JD.

Personally, I wouldnt be surprised if Clowney isnt on the roster next year. It would be an embarrassment of riches and a waste of money at that point if everybody is healthy and back to their old selves.