1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Major

Major Member

We (and she) have no idea because she doesn't have any of the facts or evidence of the case. She's making assumptions and giving her best guesses based on the publicly available information, just as others are. You're just choosing to rely on the public information she used (the charges) and not the public information HeyNow used (suspension, loss of income, etc). Both are cases of using public information to infer non-public information.

2. Major

Major Member

You realize this message board and Astros fandom is not a court of law, right? Do you only have opinions about people after they go through a court process? You had no opinions on Ray Rice or Osama bin Laden or the Vegas shooter or Timothy McVeigh until after they were tried and convicted, I assume?

rockbox likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Most sane people seem to understand that matters (private no less) like these are very complicated and logic, patience, and time are required. The media is not included in that group. They have segments, half hour, hour, shows to spew their rushed, judgmental, yellow journalism bullshit.

texans1095 likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Of course I had opinions prior but I didn't assume facts and I certainly didn't try to convince people that their opinions were wrong before any convictions. I also didn't judge the accused or the folks who waited for due process.

In fact I have an opinion on Osuna which is basically that it does not look good for him right now and if he's found guilty not only should he lose his job with the Astros but he should be expelled from baseball and be forced to apply for reinstatement. But until then he has the right to be free and employed and should be discriminated against.

5. CinematicFusion

She is making her best guess based on her knowledge and expertise of simple assault cases tried in Canada's court system.
    I would even goes as far to say she is an expert (being a lawyer) and I would trust her opinion over others.
    You are right, it's just her opinion and her opinion has been shaped by handling many cases dealing with simple assault in Canada.
    Yours and my opinion means little compared to hers for obvious reasons. Not because I don't believe your a super guy, she just happens to have more knowledge on the subject.

People would put her on the stand to explain these laws.... they wouldn't put you and I on the stand to explain these laws.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do we really have such soft fans that want our players to be choir boys?

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

As I stated in my post, I never said it was an "acceptable standard" - all I'm saying is there is a huge difference just as there is a huge difference between getting a DUI with a .09 blood alcohol level and a .20. Neither are good and you shouldn't be driving drunk but I can semi understand the .09.

Anyhow, since when did the amount of games the MLB, NFL, or NBA become an official way to measure how significant the crime must have been? That's a terrible argument - just look at the past suspensions handed down by each of the leagues and you'll see there is zero correlation between significance of the crime and the amount of games suspended.

Finally, that's one HUGE assumption you're making there. The flip side of that is he isn't good performance wise, which given how much time he's missed and the mental aspect of what he is going through isn't far-fetched, and/or he doesn't stay out of trouble and then the Blue Jays get nothing out of it and they catch the backlash we are getting right now. The only reason this trade works is Ken Giles - we clearly were not going to use him again and he's the perfect bounce back candidate for a team like the Jays where there is little pressure and a change of scenery. For what it's worth they've already said he was going to eventually close so it goes to show you where there line of thinking is coming from.

8. Buck Turgidson

"But look how short Jose Altuve is!!!!"

I can't believe yall are still doing this multi-page typical [poster formerly named as] verbal death match. It will never stop until you do. Or until his Jeffry Tambor pic goes away, 'cause you know, Tambor's a piece of **** too apparently.

#1028 Buck Turgidson, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm interested in who is the guy on this team who's got the balls to ask the question, "Did you do it?"

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You aren't trying to imply that Ric is incapable of letting go of an argument?

11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I left my comments to your "facts" bolted and itslisized in the quote.

I understand what you are defending. I defend it too. However, I think you are taking these "facts" and not being completely truthful with them/leaving tidbits of important info tied to these "facts" out. And you are doing it on purpose. Just to win the argument? I don't know...but in all honesty, it is weird behavior and it is getting annoying that you continue to post over and over and over again.

#1031 SS0101, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ian Howfield faints

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All the Boos and drama around his legal matter seem to have made him a better pitcher. He wanted to get out of there as fast as he could, so he only needed 5 pitches.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seriously... does somebody want to let him know that him continuing to use that profile picture is quite a CRAVEN act?

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

My bet - Alex Bregman... dude carries his balls around in a wheelbarrel.

Nippystix likes this.
  16. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

5 pitches, 3 outs. He's an Astro. Nothing else needs to be said.

banzai and raining threes like this.
  17. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

lmao i was thinking the same thing

18. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Osuna looked good though, dude wasn't messing around and went right after the batters. It's when guys pitch around the batter and end up walking them when they get themselves into trouble. Just like smith did last night with bregman and yuli

raining threes likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm not posting into a vacuum; I had 16 different responses to my posts yesterday (and several more mentions) - I'm engaging those responses/posters - is that not the purpose of this forum? Are you suggesting I shouldn't? Why - because you don't like my opinion on this topic?

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Him or Justin Verlander are the two I'd bet on