1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets Extend Eric Gordon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

He'll be dumb if he's not talking Ryno money

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I was wondering about this as well. Hope it happens soon!

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If they extend him for a big deal the Tilman is cheap narrative should finally die. I know it won't because the Le$ one never did, but if they extend Gordon they will have Gordon, Capela, Harden and CP3 costing close to $100 million in salary for the 4 of them alone. Add in any other role players and you are talking about a team that will blow the luxury tax into smithereens.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if he keeps coming off the bench but not playing starter minutes, he's a really good long term player to lock in

i dont think any team would offer hima huge deal when his contract is up. he's gonna be 31 or 32.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hopefully it's happening, makes sense for both parts.

7. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I knew it! I mention this in another thread my post was 9:57 am.. people thought i was a fool! "
    I didn't want to start a thread so i'll add a little observation here.. I see that Eric Gordon "liked" Sportscenter's post on twitter about Earl Thomas gripe with the Seahawks.. quoting " Offer me an Extension. Or Trade me to a team that wants me to be part of their future." It was just some rumors about Morey offering Eric Gordon an extension, perhaps he wants be traded.. who knows..

#152DaonlyLA, Today at 9:57 AM"

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There are always going to be degrees. @heypartner pointed out in the Nanu trade thread that they could have just cut him and accepted that LT hit.

Is Tilman cheap?
    Will Tilman pay the LT recklessly with no limits?

It is not black and white. There is a degree, a threshold. Perhaps he is willing to pay the LT MORE for value added components rather than detritus.

I guess we'll all find out through this journey.

Why not?, Corrosion and clutchdabear like this.
  9. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

No brainer if we keep it at 12M. But I doubt it....
    He showed to be durable (after years of injuries) and starter material for at least 90% of NBA teams.
    The market will pay more...

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He has two years left on his deal and is injury prone. Unless the extension is very team friendly I think this might be jumping the gun. He was very healthy this year, but one good year after like six banged up ones.

11. justtxyank

He paid money to save money. I know HP went on a rant about it.

If you are going to dump a player like Onuaku why wouldn'y you do it in the lowest cost way possible?

We needed to clear him off the roster. Cutting him costs $5+ million, trading him costs less than $2. The concern about draining the asset pool is misplaced. We still have over $3.5 million in cash to use in trades which is more than we needed this year. There was also NOTABLE hesitation from teams this year to sell 2nd rounders.

joshuaao, Vivi and Deuce like this.
  12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Seems good for us fans, but if I'm EG... give me the 3-4 years, 4th year partial guarantee.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes been pretty healthy since joining the rox in 2016 though. If you thought he was very healthy this year, he was even better before in his first

hakeem94 and Rockets FTW like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am on record as saying I agree with, and understand, the Nanu move. It is the outcome that I expected. And I trust Morey has a firm handle on his talent horizon to make that move and be willing to deplete cash reserves.

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I wonder how people would feel if they extended Gordon for Capela-type money. Something like 4 years for 65-68 mil... I think they would be lucky to get for 4yr/60m.

I'm also starting to wonder if they are looking to start Gordon. They could try to blitz teams in the first quarter with CP3, Harden, Gordon, Melo, Capela and then use PJ, Green, Ennis and MCW off of the bench to lock things down defensively.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. basketballholic

@treyk3 has been on top of this for a while. He does good research.

BHannes2BHonest and treyk3 like this.
  17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Iko's tweet and the fact that Morey is in the same city as him has given me tempered excitement

Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if Murray is in Vancouver does this mean he has given up on Carmelo? #theobviousconclusion

19. justtxyank

Gives me reason to think something might happen, but I won't say I'm excited.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope an extension will go smoothly soon, that will be mutually beneficial for the team and EG.