1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most teams wouldn't even try if they know they could suffer the shame AND NOT get the player. Of course they could respond with "we tried but after discussing with the rest of the organization we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be best for us".

2. Buck Turgidson

I was just talking in terms of MLB policy and CBA regulations, which I do not know anything about wrt this sort of thing.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're the one interpreting that he's being "rewarded"... the Blue Jays are also benefitting off of him by getting prospects.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe. But wouldn't you like to see the list?

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Money is money; if you make a sizable donation, it matters, regardless of the reason. No team operates behind closed doors; giving to hurricane relief, cancer awareness - it "looks" better - but it's rooted in the same place.

But, yes - I mentioned it being "craven" - having said that, the Astros made the trade and part of that process is to sell this to the general public. I don't necessarily "like" it - but it sure as **** beats the approach they took, which was far more damaging and wrong-headed.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think I'm the only one. I can almost guarantee you there would be less outrage if he was traded to the Rays.

7. Buck Turgidson

I'm enjoying watching this afternoon ballgame.

"Talk baseball" - cangrejero

houstonstime, King1, J.R. and 2 others like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Meh

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Osuna trade lighting a fire under the Astros bats similar to the Verlander trade last season.

:)

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why would the Rays trade for him though?

Its pretty clear that the only teams who would be willing to take the risk right now would be a contender... as are pretty much the only type of team that trades for a closer mid-season.

Why was he on the trade market while suspended?

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Buy low, sell high?

I don't know why he was on the trade market. Did the Astros call and offer the trade? We will probably never know who initiated the talks.

12. Buck Turgidson

So you're saying that firing up the internet equals firing up the dugout?

;)

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No team convinces another team who is unwilling to listen to offers.... to listen to offers.

The Blue Jays shopped Osuna last year. They shopped him again this year with a little more sense of urgency due to the suspension.

There would be a healthy faction of complainers in here had another contending team bought him low.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

If I had something I wanted to get rid of and you call me willing to pay for it; it's not going to take too much convincing.

There is always going to be a healthy faction of complainers here.

Anyways I'm personally waiting before deciding how I feel about him. I don't like the move by the team because of the bad pub and the message it might be sending but Osuna himself can sway me (and I bet a bunch of other doubters) with the way he responds in the first few weeks as an Astro.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he excels on the mound, fans will not only cheer for the Astros but will start to cheer for him as well.

If he doesn't, there will be backlash... which fans gave anyways to Giles who wasn't associated with these sorts of issues.

This is why sports isn't real life. Its fantasy-land. Its why I get annoyed when people try and drag moral issues into a fantasy-land scenario. We all know there's a major double-standard amongst athletes... and in today's twitter/media age, we have the ability to skew the narrative to whichever viewpoint generates the most clicks.

In some cases, a committed felon getting a second chance is deemed worthy of a reclamation story. In other cases, one suspected of foul play is convicted in the public eye, before any court appearance, and anybody who gives him a chance is deemed an accomplice.

Malaya and Nook like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Non-felony drug convictions. Good kids, taught them how to weld and fix lawnmowers and build fence and all kinds of good stuff that is in demand.

bigdaddy likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Do you really think the MLB has some board with rankings on it on how to address/punish a player accused? According to what, do you think? The length has nothing to do with the crime. MLB is trying to "CYA."

Now that is just my opinion. I could be wrong. Just stop acting like you know something for fact.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree, I’m really surprised at how poorly Luhnow handled the PR part of this and how he seems to have underestimated the backlash. He should have started by speaking directly about the elephant in the room. The “he’s sorry, he deserves a 2nd chance, his former manager vouched for him, if he messes up again, he’s gone” stuff should have come after the “He is going to donate to victims services charities, so are the Astros, here is the list of training/therapy he has attended” stuff along with a long detailed explanation about why the Astros believe in 2nd chances and due process in spite of the way social media (and the media in general) have changed how people view and treat those accused of wrongdoing. Instead they appeared to be trying to avoid talking about the real issue as much as possible.

20. Buck Turgidson

This may have changed in the last 3 years, but here we go:

MLB, MLBPA reveal domestic violence policy

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association have reached agreement on a landmark joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy, it was announced Friday.

"Major League Baseball and its Clubs are proud to adopt a comprehensive policy that reflects the gravity and the sensitivities of these significant societal issues," Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "We believe that these efforts will foster not only an approach of education and prevention but also a united stance against these matters throughout our sport and our communities."

Added MLBPA executive director Tony Clark in a statement: "Players are husbands, fathers, sons and boyfriends. And as such want to set an example that makes clear that there is no place for domestic abuse in our society. We are hopeful that this new comprehensive, collectively-bargained policy will deter future violence, promote victim safety, and serve as a step toward a better understanding of the causes and consequences of domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse."

In addition, the Commissioner's Office will implement additional policies to cover Minor League players, all employees of Major or Minor League clubs and MLB. The MLBPA will also implement an all-encompassing domestic policy for its staff.

The agreement is intended to provide a comprehensive policy addressing issues such as protecting the legal rights of players, treating violations seriously, holding players accountable through appropriate disciplinary measures and providing resources for the intervention and care of victims, families and the players themselves.

The terms of the agreement cover four main areas.

Treatment and Intervention:
    A joint policy board, consisting of three experts in the field and two representatives each from the MLBPA and the Commissioner's Office has been established. The board is responsible for developing a treatment plan.

Players may be required to submit to psychological evaluations, attend counseling sessions, comply with court orders (including child support orders), relocate from a home shared with his partner, limit his interactions with his partner, relinquish all weapons, and other reasonable directives designed to promote the safety of the player's partner, children, or victims.

Players who fail to comply are subject to discipline from the Commissioner. All information is to be kept confidential.

Investigations:
    The Commissisoner's Office will invesigate all allegations of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse involving members of the baseball community. The Commissioner may place an accused player on paid administrative leave for up to seven days while allegations are investigated. Players may challenge any decision before the arbitration panel.

Discipline:
    The Commissioner will decide on appropriate discipline, with no minimum or maximum penalty under the policy. Players may challenge such decisions to the arbitration panel.

Training, Education and Resources:
    All players will be provided education about domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse in both English and Spanish at regular intervals. Resources to players' families -- including referral information, websites, hotline numbers and outreach facilities -- will be made available, along with a confidential 24-hour helpline.

An annual program of community outreach will be developed. It may include public service announcements featuring players, domestic violence awareness days at ballparks and other activities designed to spread awareness on the issues.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-agree-on-domestic-violence-policy/c-144508842