1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Was the job you hired them to do better than the job they had prior to their conviction?

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

His suspension isnt over until past the trade deadline.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Assault in Canada can be a multitude of different things, I’d expect someone to call the cops if they see a dispute in a public place, the MLB and every other pro sports leagues are saving face woth suspensions being dealt before any actual facts of the CASE are out.
    There are not FACTS out yet

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If facts do come out that he was involved in some heinous acts, and not just arguing or light grabbing, then Osuna and the Astros deserve all the negative attention they have already gotten plus more. That’s my problem, everyone wants to prove their moral high ground and ride that high horse before any actual facts have been released

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Do you honestly think the MLBPA, one of the strongest unions in all of sports, would have agreed to a 75-game suspension if it was simply "arguing or light grabbing"? Come on...

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes I'm aware.

7. Buck Turgidson

It would be very easy for the Astros to just cut him if it comes to that, once all the facts are out, and everyone should be ok with that outcome.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So then why suggest we should have waited until his suspension was over to go after him?

9. Buck Turgidson

I would pay exactly zero attention to the length of any MLB (non-PED contractually mandated) conduct suspension. Pay attention to the court.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then you might as well turn your ire towards the Blue Jays for offering him up.

They wanted to get as much value as they could for him now, so they made him available for trade. If they were truly morally reprehensed by his actions, and didn't want to "reward" him with a second chance, they could have done nothing till his suspension ended (which was conveniently after the trade deadline), and then just make him languish on the roster.

Its not like Osuna asked to be traded to the Astros... or asked to be traded at all.

Nook likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not a suggestion. I'm just pointing out that part of the outrage is because he is "benefiting" while being "punished".

12. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I don't know the CBA, but is it possible that a player is not allowed to appeal a suspension deriving from a DV arrest?

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

In today’s society? Without a doubt, everyone including the unions number one priority right now is social enlightenment.
    I’m not saying the dude is innocent, but I’m not going to say he’s guilty until the facts of the case come out. You can make your decision off hearsay all you want, I won’t

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not my ire. The media's. And it is being directed at the Astros not the Blue Jays. Right or wrong, I don't know. But I'm not at all surprised. When I read about the trade, I expected a major backlash towards the Astros. Like I've said before, I hope he joins the team and proves to the world that he is not the person they're making him out to be.

15. Buck Turgidson

I could be way, way wrong, but I believe "conduct" suspensions have a whole bunch of leeway with the league, as opposed to drug suspensions which are ironclad in the CBA.

Someone should look this up.

16. Hey Now!

Frankly, it shocks me how unprepared the fastidiously diligent Astros were to announce this trade:

- Luhnow mentions their unprecedented due diligence - but never references them seeking out female voices;
    - how, if at all, did they engage females within the organization and the potential message this sends about the workplace?
    - why did the Astros not engage local, prominent voices/organizations in this arena?
    - craven, perhaps - but a sizable donation (say equivalent to Osuna's salary) to a local women's shelter is low-hanging fruit;
    - have a plan in place for Osuna once/if he's reinstated: he will do this community-driven initiative; attend this domestic violence outreach program, talk about his incident to raise awareness, etc.

PR can be a slimy business (I'm in it) - but the Astros made the trade and selling it to the public is part of the process. They were either arrogant (winning cures all) or tone-deaf stupid. Neither is a good look.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

He's allowed; his reported reason for accepting the suspension was to drag an appeal out into next season.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What would be fair would be to make full disclosure of every team that tried to get him. Every team on that list would share equal guilt.

I bet the narrative changes then.

19. Hey Now!

Buck, he loses salary... Do you know any... well, human who would willingly accept 3 months of not being paid if they were innocent?

Also, I'm no lawyer but there are so many factors at play with a court case, most notably the victim's willingness to cooperate and, when millionaires are involved, the power of money to make things go away.

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Well, to start, the majority of these acknowledge (at least indirectly) that Osuna is guilty. I had to listen to an hour of sports radio analyzing Luhnow's use of the word "remorseful." You don't think they would have jumped all over Luhnow for trying to "buy over" the fanbase by donating to a women's shelter?