1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kent Bazemore meeting with Rockets as we speak (UPDATE: Signs with Hawks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t see how he helps us at all. We can’t play a 6’5” SF. Essentially he plays the same position as Gordon, Harden, and Green. SG is our position of strength. What would we even do with him. We need someone taller with more versatility that can play SF PF and C in a pinch.

2. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

similar???

Bazemore is a more consitent shooter, and a good defender. WTF u saying? Green and Bazemore are similar? LMAO

JHarden713 likes this.
  3. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I think Green is a better shooter. Bazemore better defender for sure though.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the kind of analysis that drives me nuts.

PJ Tucker is far and away our best defender at the 3-4-5, and he is actually closer to 6-4 than 6-6. It's not NBA 2k. If you can play, you can play.

Bazemore can hang against 5 positions. It's his greatest strength.

Hui, TheRealAllpro, Blurr#7 and 2 others like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey puts a lot of stock into wingspan, not height. you can get away with being a lot smaller if you have long arms. Bazemore has a 7'0'' wingspan (same as Luc).

Despite being a small PF, Trez has a 7'4" wingspan :eek:. That length makes him a very good finisher. He should be a better rebounder and defender with that wingspan, but he is effective because of his length not his height.

look at PJ (6'10.5" wingspan) and even Chuckwagon (6'10" wingspan) before him short (for their position) defenders with long arms.

#1125 DreamShook, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Deuce and TheRealAllpro like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Horrible comparison. PJ Tucker is thiccc and plays physical defense and is really good at boxing out. He’s also really good at guarding 4s and 5s and not that great with quicker players. He out weights Bazemore by close to 30 lbs. Bazemore is more finesse and barely weighs 200 lbs. I don’t want to see him playing 4 or 5. We would get crushed on the boards.

elmotsangtt and clutchdabear like this.
  7. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I'm with you man. Sure Bazemore brings more defence than the others but that SF/PF/C spot is more of a need IMO.
    To be fair it's not like there's a lot of options out there.

So our line-ups/Rotations with Bazemore would look like:
    CP3, Harden, Melo, Tucker, Clint
    Then
    Harden, Gordon, Bazemore, Melo, Tucker
    Then
    CP3, Gordon, Bazemore, Ennis?, Clint?

Those question marks are what bother me. Is Ennis able to play the 4 with Clint backing him up? And would Clint even be playing that many minutes, which would mean they would need to play Nene, or Hartenstein... which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Pat and clutchdabear like this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Melo and Tucker will take literally all of the PF minutes.

We need to replace the SF that can defend PG's quota that Ariza gave us.

Bazemore is one of the best available for this job.

Deuce, Blurr#7 and Chamillionaire like this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'm beginning to wonder how much you have seen Bazemore play.

It's not about weight and height. It's about defensive consistency and awareness. Kent Bazemore has a massive wingspan and his lateral quickness is unreal. For a switching defense he is a top 25 defender in the entire NBA.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  10. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I understand the need. I really do.. But isn't that what we got Ennis for? And MCW who at the very least will hassle the **** out a 1s and 2s?

The rotation doesn't quite fit, again because Melo said he didn't want to play the 4. Now that's not ruling out him playing backup 4. But if that's the case then.. both Melo and Tucker would start. Tucker to the bench, Melo to the 4. I'd assume Tucker will come on to cover the small ball 5, so when Melo needs to come off, who fills that 4 spot? Which is why I asked if Ennis is supposed to fill that spot which, not being to familiar with him, I'm not sure if that's a position he can play on a team that wants to win a tittle.

That's why I think a switchy PF/C type (if there is any available) is a bigger need than another SF/SG.

11. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

BigShasta likes this.
  12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

inb4 kent bazemore finals mvp

BHannes2BHonest and BigShasta like this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m confused, what you just said he did is exactly what I said. He uses his quickness and is more of a finesse defender. Good against guards and quick players which is the exact opposite of PJ Tucker. I like him as a player he just has no role on the Rockets cuz we are soo deep at his position. You don’t want to see Bazemore defending centers and pfs. And I just don’t see how he can contest Durant shots giving up almost 9 inches. He’s be perfect if he grew 4 inches.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Didn't Bazemore sign with Atlanta? Am I missing something? Maybe this should be moved to Dish. Maybe, maybe no.

saleem likes this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we have to update the thread title to start with "[BUMPED]..."

fooled me twice today and i know he isn't a free agent!

hibbetts and BallSoHarden like this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The speculation is mostly bazeless.

Bobsputin, DonKnock, Will and 4 others like this.
  17. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

So what your saying is, this is baze-ically pointless to talk about?

Bobsputin, DonKnock, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

How did Eric Gordon and James Harden contest Durant? How about 6-4 PJ Tucker? How about when CP3 defends Centers? It happens quite often with the Rockets defensive schemes.

We switch everything, so individual matchups are pretty moot. Bazemore can defend on the perimeter, and in the post. He is a strong defensive player everywhere on the floor.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I wonder what Atlanta will want for Bazemore, considering Anderson and his contracts are a wash, basically.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yeah that's the big question. Ryno+1st Rounder would be highway robbery.

Considering we just lucked out with Melton, I am 100% down to deal some picks.

saleem likes this.