1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Screaming Fist

I suspect that two wrongs don't make a right.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or he could have been right down the hallway... while the rest of the team is in Seattle.

rockets1995, Nook and RockFanFirst like this.
  3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Innes had Osuna's lawyer on this morning and he said they are pleading not guilty and pushing for a peace bond. Also said that Osuna was granted an exception to the restraining order (that is standard for any assault allegation until the court date) so Osuna could attend the graduation ceremony of the younger brother to the assault victim.

Whatever transpired, it wasn't so egregious that her family forbade him from attending a family gathering when he's not technically even a member of that family. I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong, but I found that interesting nonetheless. I have a daughter and if she was ever abused in any way by a guy, I would not be as forgiving as her family appears to have been in this instance.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Please read my entire post. I absolutely agree that bullpen help was needed. I'm questioning whether all the extra crap associated with this guy also was.

5. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Sorry. "I just don't understand the necessity of this move," told me you didn't think we needed the help.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And literally one sentence later, I said, " I've been as vocal as anyone in our need for bullpen/lineup help, but I'm just surprised that the front office felt that THIS guy was worth the bad press and the risk of disturbing a legendarily solid clubhouse. "

8. Malaya

Malaya Member

Didn't Altuve and Correa both travel with the team?

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It’s like wishing on a monkey’s paw

You get a dominant closer, buuuuuuut he beats women

10. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Altuve did not they said he stayed back to deal with a family matter.

11. Malaya

Malaya Member

We are not a ''sexy" team. Nobody in the media liked us before we won the WS. Well, maybe only Ben Reiter.

We are held to different standards compared to the Yankees and Dodgers.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep could be. I would say that you can see and feel concern on the faces of Astros players.

Hope Osuna has one helluva talk when he addresses the team and it turns into the players giving him a chance.

Seems to have stirred up things more than I expected, at least early on. I get it, you don’t want to be associated with things like this in any way. Just seems to be a bit curious as to why the national guys are killing the Astros like they are when I don’t really remember the Cubs getting hammered for the Chapman deal.

13. Malaya

Malaya Member

You can imagine the pressure on Osuna in his first appearance on the mound (if ever he gets cleared to play).

Once he gets through that, people will gradually forget and go on to the next controversy.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Ray Rice is married to the woman he beat. It's common for the abused to go great lengths to protect their abuser.

This is disgusting and I've never been more disappointed with the Astros. The "Our zero tolerance policy only applies to players in our system. This happened before he joined the Astros" technicality excuse is so cringy.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did you just skip my post on this same page LOL.

jsingles likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

When I said this about Bryce Harper last week:

"If I can root for Roger Clemens I can root for almost anybody if they put on an Astros jersey."

I didn't realize they were actually going to test me on it.

17. Malaya

Malaya Member

Whatever ... JV won't be here long. We won't re-sign him, not when he'll be after another huge contract.

18. Malaya

Malaya Member

Oh sorry, I didn't read it. Do we have the same opinion?

Oh well, Astros better start winning again. So we can talk about something else.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing on Jose Torres (100 games)
    Nothing on Hector Olivera (82 games)
    Nothing on Jeurys Familia (15 games)
    Nothing on Steven Wright/Red Sox (15 games)
    Jose Reyes (51 games)

BigMaloe, everyday eddie and Marteen like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-...-valuable-and-other-trade-info-140445080.html

The Chicago Cubs are making the first spirited push, acquiring Aroldis Chapman from the New York Yankees and offering 19-year-old Gleyber Torres, arguably their best prospect, in addition to two other players, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Chapman pitches only one inning at a time, and Chapman is a free agent come the end of the season, and Chapman’s history includes an ugly domestic incident, and still, the Cubs are willing to pay a price rival executives see as excessive.

Why? Because they’re the aforementioned team winning more than 60 percent of its games. Because they’re the only could-be alpha dog among a bunch of betas. Because they need relief help. Because Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo. Because they spent years rebuilding their farm system and now are in a position to use its capital on luxury items. Because they believe Joe Maddon can integrate even the worst reprobates into his clubhouse. And, mostly, because …

1. Aroldis Chapman throws 105 freaking miles per hour, and only one other pitcher in the world, a 20-year-old Red Sox prospect named Michael Kopech, ever has reached that level – and Kopech’s was on radar guns, not a computerized pitch-tracking system that measures to the tenth of an mph.

Yes, Chapman is, all due respect to Zach Britton and Kenley Jansen, the single most dominating force at the back end of a bullpen in 2016. His average fastball this season is 100.1 mph. Of the 524 pitches tracked by Statcast this season, 254 were 100-mph-plus fastballs. He is a freak of nature, and freaks of nature are valued more for their freakishness than they are dinged for their issues.

And make no mistake: The notion the Cubs are trading for a player suspended for 30 days earlier this season for bucking off gunshots in his garage and allegedly assaulting his girlfriend is off-putting. No charges were filed. That doesn’t lessen the stigma that accompanies domestic violence and the tacit admission that championships sometimes cost more than money or prospects capital.

The Cubs get to deploy Carl Edwards Jr. or Pedro Strop in the seventh inning, current closer Hector Rondon in the eighth and Chapman in the ninth, with Travis Wood, the recently acquired Mike Montgomery and Trevor Cahill or perhaps even the resurgent Joe Nathan rounding out what suddenly looks more like a strength.

[...]

Dodgers president Andrew Friedman faces some rough decisions over the next week. Remember, he could’ve been the one with the Aroldis Chapman problem until he nixed a trade at the Winter Meetings after the police report on the domestic incident surfaced. Eight months ago, Aroldis Chapman was completely toxic. And whether it’s to the Cubs or elsewhere, the Yankees are going to get paid handsomely for offloading Chapman.

Of the four young players Cincinnati received, only pitcher Rookie Davis is expected to have a shot at sticking in the major leagues – and even he’s striking out just 5.1 batters per nine in Double-A this year, a major red flag. Essentially, the Reds gave away Aroldis Chapman, and the Yankees got a top prospect still in his teen years, plus other pieces, for the same guy.

Baseball is the same as all other sports, willing to look past any moral or ethical conflict so long as on-field performance doesn’t wane. And that is how Aroldis Chapman and his powerful 105-mph fastball will end up wearing something other than pinstripes. He is just what the Cubs need, just what the Nationals need, just what the Indians need, just what everyone needs. And when the muddled middle is so crowded and anyone can win a World Series, the power of the need, no matter what may stand in its way, is the most powerful thing of all.

BigMaloe likes this.