1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yup Osuna was the fastest to reach 100 saves in the history of the MLB... surprised we would take on the risk but if he stays out of trouble and returns to form we could have our closer for years to come.

#281 K-Low_4_Prez, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    mrm32, rockets1995 and AleksandarN like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Chapman beat the **** out of a woman, hasn't stopped anybody in Chicago or NY from rooting for him.

I'm just not sure what I think about Osuna yet. Everyone deserves a second chance but damn....

The Beard and rockets1995 like this.
  3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I’m waiting to see or hear the first solid, concrete, non-speculative fact to emerge about what actually happened.

My only real takeaway thus far is that Luhnow and Crane are more competitive than I realized. They are staking most of their post-WS credibility capital on this extremely high risk, high reward move. And that’s fascinating to see, no matter what Osuna did or didn’t do.

They’re certainly not effing around.

mrm32, Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Luhnow came straight out and said they did all of the possible background checks they could, I would think that with the nerd cave that would be pretty extensive.

I just don't know yet. People have been guilty and people have been railroaded, beats the **** out of me.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure the point. That may reflect on him having a better future or having more potential, but age is generally irrelevant to who's better right now or when comparing with results that were b****ed about in the past. People weren't complaining about Giles because he's 28 or whatever - they were complaining about his results. If Osuna blows a save, no one's going to say "well, it's fine because he's 23 but it would have sucked if he was 28."

The Beard likes this.
  6. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Lol. Good luck going back to back with an unhappy club house

7. Buck Turgidson

Given the fact that the twit you posted misrepresented what Morosi said...I'm guessing the "texts" involved are pretty much bullshit. In the future I'd look to more reputable sources. Multiple sources, if you will.

I could be wrong and maybe this random guy is an internet savant.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. HookemHorns1250

Yuli’s over here like “...man, why couldnt y’all have left this alone. Now they’ll be talking about my stuff again.”

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

They wouldn't have done this if they weren't confident that they could rehabilitate his image. And yeah, I don't know what they do, but I know enough that they vetted Osuna as extremely as they possibly could.

That being said, they'd better absolutely nail this. This is an ungodly amount of faith they're putting into hoping that this reprehensible character can truly turn a new leaf.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Why are the Astros acting like Angels, every player has done a sin before. Just Shut Up and Compete. Even Hall of Fame Baseball players have done more tragic things than Osuna. Dennis Eckersely getting drunk, Ty Cobb outspoken Racist, dirty player spiking guys, Babe Ruth drinking, committing Adultree during his marriage. Craig Biggio getting drunk while driving got pulled over bribed a Cop, got arrested. Hunter Pence was drunk got Arrested. Derek Bell gets drunk arrested, Scottie Pippen assault charge from wife, one time got arrested in Houston being drunk while driving. Michael Jordan cheating on first wife during Marriage and had kids. No Athlete is Perfect. Dig deeper on every Astros Player there are some drug users, drinkers on this team.

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Don't forget how Drayton didn't want black players on the team. I'll hang up and listen.

BigMaloe and Dankstronaut like this.
  12. conquistador#11

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know some of our guys responded on Twitter

#292 conquistador#11, Jul 31, 2018
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You mention a lot of guys being bad because they drink

I know everyone has different opinions on morals

But in general, people look down at beating women more than they look down at someone getting drunk peacefully

Htown Stros likes this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We have a legal concept in this country called due process. Innocent until proven guilty. The law affords him this right. Same in Canada. There's a reason why public opinion and mob rule are not a part of the civilized world -- it's a horrible way to make judgments and render punishments.

If you think his image cannot be rehabbed, then I'd remind you of the case of Kobe Bryant, who was accused of raping a hotel employee in Colorado. Here he is with his wife and kids at his retirement ceremony.

[​IMG]

houstonstime and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Morning after thoughts:

I learned long ago that it's a fool's errand to idolize athletes for anything other than their performance on the field. The unfortunate reality is that many of the athletes associated with your most important memories are most likely not people you would enjoy having a drink with. And that's fine, these people are only in our lives because they are good at playing a game that we like to watch. They shouldn't NEED to be anything more than that. Because of this, I won't have an issue with Osuna. I mean I probably wouldn't hire him or allow him to date my daughter, but I'm not suddenly going to hope we lose just because he is on the mound. I hope the description of him as remorseful is true and that he lives a productive life moving forward, on and off the field.

THAT BEING SAID, and this is a new feeling that didn't emerge until this morning, I just don't understand the necessity of this move. This message board aside, we aren't a desperate fan base. No one would be calling for Luhnow's head if we didn't win it all this year. I've been as vocal as anyone in our need for bullpen/lineup help, but I'm just surprised that the front office felt that THIS guy was worth the bad press and the risk of disturbing a legendarily solid clubhouse. I've doubted Luhnow before and he's proven me wrong almost every time, so there has to be a good reason for it. It's just surprising, and maybe the first time one of his trades has made LESS sense to me as time goes on.

#295 Baseballa, Jul 31, 2018
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing that makes sense is if video comes out much closer to “harmless argument” than Ray Rice / Danry Vasquez, and the extreme suspension was not really justified.

If there’s a video that’s anywhere close to that, this gets ugly fast. I know we need to upgrade the pen, but that’s a serious gamble to take (with a pretty decent outbound package). I’m not sure that same package wouldn’t have gotten a half season of a Kelvin Herrera (or been that far from Britton?).

If they actually added an outright scumbag to a World Series team that was built around chemistry, that’s just quite the way to destroy so much good will and camraderie in one fell swoop.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Theres no worse conversation here than speculative domestic violence as it pertains to an athlete conversation.

My main concerns is how long is he going to take to get into game shape. Does he have any mechanical issues that warrant tinkering, as Stromm has done with every new pitching acquisition. Will the Astros ever be in position to save a game again?

Those sorts of things. People analyzing the Canadian justice system, and whether or not a video will exonerate him, along with the Astros "deep vetting" process... a lot of bullshit floating in the air, with some of the windbags even more full than normal.

Also, please stop using "chemistry" as it pertains to a freaking baseball team. There's 25 men on the active roster, all with very different training schedules, game roles, and backgrounds. They do not all hang out together. They just won a WS with freakin head-case Ken Giles... so unless he was the life coach glue holding this roster together, no amount of ******* is going to move the needle from a "chemistry" standpoint.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’d love to see the guys turning a blind eye to this and claiming second chances in a situation where their mother or sister were the victim.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s not that black and white; “Osuna and Luhnow are human feces” and “Who cares” aren’t the only choices. I think most sensible people are reserving judgment until more details about the case/incident come out.

eric.81 likes this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

So from what I'm seeing....not much is known about the incident? The court will have it's say and I can't imagine a scenario where the Astros haven't received some sort of confirmation that his charges are being dropped or dismissed somehow. Give the court it's time, that's what it does.

On paper, in baseball terms....seems like an absolute steal. Masterstroke.

Even for the current Astros...maybe a small reminder to them to keep two hands on the wheel?