1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tobias Harris turns down $80M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2018.

1. andersongo

andersongo Member

The stupid GMs handing out dumb contracts are the Ying to the Yang of the equally dumb players saying "LOL NO!!!" to said contracts. And yet people are still saying that there is not enough balance in this league.

#21 andersongo, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Wait till this fool gets injured. IT like

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably going back to Outscoring teams 130 to 120. Have PJ switch on everyone all by himself.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Maybe it’s not just about the money. Could be he just didn’t want to sign long term with the Clippers.

steddinotayto, hvic and ramotadab like this.
  5. MD_in_Training

Players and agents still think it's 2016.

Most teams don't have that kind of cap space, and the salary cap didn't go up like expected. This is just being blind to the harsh truths of reality.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe... seems like at worst absent a bad injury, he'll get that exact same offer again next year.

Everyone on here acting like Tobias is a scrub or something. Sure, he could be a better rebounder and defender. But he's a 3/4 or 4/3 that put up 18 ppg on 41% three point shooting last year (5+ threes a game). He's 25, and never really been on a good team where he gets open looks. He can create his own shot. He also shoots too many mid range jumpers, which is just a get in his ear philosophy thing.

Someone mentioned Aaron Gordon and they are somewhat similar. Gordon's a slightly better rebounder, and slightly younger. Tobias is still just 25 I believe.

da_juice likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lots of teams with space next year. A few guys will make more than they're worth, no doubt.

A_3PO likes this.
  8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

From what I've gathered with Tobias, he's definitely not really gambling in regards to not signing the extension with his current team. I'm sure there's at least 1 team that's willing to sign him next offseason to a contract that's similar to the one he's being offered now, without the extra year. His impact to a team reminds me of an All-star over a franchise player, but then again someone signed Parsons to a near-max deal recently and he's.. well his reputation and long list of injuries speaks for itself.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Was it a 5/80 or 4/80 extension? If it’s 5/80, then maybe he wants to see if he can do better next summer. If it was 4/80, he should’ve snatched that up so quick...

Rocket River likes this.
  10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Someone just earned themselves trading block walk. I like his game, but I wouldn't go over that amount for him.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He's probably going to the knicks eventually...
    Kyrie
    Butler
    Tobias
    Prozingis

12. Rocket_Man_2.0

If it was me..I'd take the money and run! Too many sad stories of players getting injured and missing out on there payday. Isiah Thomas for example...tomorrows not guaranteed...this is what Capela needs to think about! Turning down 80 million...I wouldn't be able to sleep well at night!! Too risky!!

#32 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

His current contract expiring next summer is for $64 million (4 yrs). The guy already has money in the bank.

He will probably increase his scoring ave to over 20 ppg. Even 25 is within reach. All he has to do is maintain his stellar shooting % (esp. from long range) and teams will fall over themselves.

Unless something weird happens, Tobias Harris will get well over $100+ million in next summer's crazy FA market. Could be a max deal. It just takes one team.

Does it make sense now?

#33 A_3PO, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

26, Gordon is 22 though, also way more athletic, better defender, he has still room to improve...Harris on the other hand is a good player, but pretty much a one side player and at 26 i think he is who he is. Gordon's contract btw is like:

2018/19: 21M
    2019/20: 19M
    2020/21: 18M
    2021/22: 16M

I'd take Gordon with no esitation if possible over Harris.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

All you guys saying you would snatch this up quick, and Tobias is dumb:

• This is an extension offer. Likely means LAC will offer it again, but right now, they are trying to lock him up to prevent UFA.
    • Maybe he doesn't want to sign with the Clippers...plus, he probably has confidence they will offer it again. So this is a Cake and Eat it Too, scenario. He turns down extension, so he can go shopping next year, while also having an LAC fall-back offer.
    Dude's only 26yrs old. I would *not* sign an extension like that with the rebuilding Clippers, and give up all hopes of landing with a legit, contender for my entire first 10 yrs in the league. Plus, he could get a better offer, regardless of team.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Capela is going to be holding his dick in his hand next summer with all these All-stars and scorers going into free agency.

There will be teams with cap space but they are going to ignore him until everyone else is signed. He'll lose out on $14 mill this season if he signs the QO just to bet on himself.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

After 2016 I kind of understand why. Most of these guys don't study economics. They just know that X player that isn't as good as them got that ridiculous contract and believe that if X player is worth that than they are clearly worth more. It's not irrational, it's just not necessarily how the market works.

napalm06 likes this.
  18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

here i'll take it. where do i sign?

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Their agents know economics, but sadly I'm sure they're playing on the player's ego to chase max dollars. It's also game-theory - a lot of these guys get screwed by the agents playing hardball and chasing the max, ending in a lose-lose scenario, instead of taking a more medium deal around their actual worth. (See: Donatas Motiejunas, Isaiah Thomas)

The NBA contract market is a crazy place. You have your true max guys (Lebron, Durant, Harden, etc) and then your vet minimum guys. Everyone in between doesn't get valued properly because they all want to get closer to the maximum than the minimum, nevermind that $10M/year is a stupid amount of money for even a lavish lifestyle. There would be a lot more parity in the NBA and a lot less guys bolting for Golden State if guys were willing to take #3 and #4 roles in a rotation and be paid accordingly.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No one has learned from the IT effect within the past two seasons.