1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas Summer League 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 22, 2018.

1. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Agree 100%. Adel appears to play within the offense and has a good combination of finesse and athleticism. His three point shot money. At one point he was five for five and I think he ended up five or six for the entire summer league play. I would love to see him play with Harden and CP3 because they can set him up for the open shot and it appears he can knock it down. Very efficient. He also has a nice mid range game. His fake pass and turnaround jumper in the lane was a thing of beauty for a guy his size.

Overall Adel is fluid, efficient, and doesn’t force shots. And based on what I saw, he’s a pretty damn good passer, often finding players when they were open. This is just the opposite of House. While he’s a decent scorer and able to fill a stat sheet in smunmer league he tends to put his head down and doesn’t look for other players once he starts driving to the basket. He had a few passes the other day but needs to learn the concept of ‘team’ basketball. Same can be said for Hunter and Brown are far as that goes. Both are extremely selfish. Brown in particular is a joke in my opinion. Dude jacks up everything and almost never looks to pass. As for Edwards, I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe he deserves a 2-way contract. His shot looks horrible and he’s much smaller than listed. I’d say he’s more like 6’5”. No way he’s 6’7” as he looks a few inches shorter than Adel.

#1061 RocketOrg, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...akeaways-from-the-Rockets-Summer-13075764.php

1. Danuel House seemed to be too advanced for the G League last season when the Suns scooped him up off the Vipers roster and gave him NBA playing time. That seems even more the case after his Summer League run with the Rockets.

House's best game of the week came on the way out of town when he scored 30 points on 10 of 20 shooting. House showed his ability to finish inside and knock down 3s. He carried the Rockets when they misfired their way through the first half, much as he steadied them on Wednesday.

There just does not seem to be much room on their roster for him and a return to the G league might not be the best option for a guy that seems to have developed as much as he can on that level.

House, who is from Missouri City and played at the University of Houston and Texas A&M, said it would be "a dream" to get a chance to play in his hometown. The Rockets could bring him to camp and have G League rights to him. But if they sign Carmelo Anthony, they will be up to 14 players on the roster without including Isaiah Hartenstein.

Hartenstein played last season with a G League contract. He would seem to need to get time with the Rockets to make his next steps and could be a candidate for the third center spot, depending on what he shows in training camp.

House looks ready to stick in the NBA and perhaps contribute with the right situation. Things can change for the Rockets between mid-July and the start of training camp. But if nothing else, he showed out well for scouts watching the Rockets in Las Vegas.

2. Had De'Anthony Melton gotten a few more shots to fall, he might have taken the Rockets to the Las Vegas quarterfinals on Sunday. Be he already had offered plenty of evidence of why the Rockets see so much potential in him and Daryl Morey said they viewed him as a top 20 pick.

Melton, taken with the 46th selection in last month's NBA Draft, struggled on and off with his shot on Saturday, but plays with so much exuberance and energy, he again seemed to assert himself in a variety of ways, anyway.

He did the "little" things that come from playing every moment, from getting deflections to winning loose balls. He did a nice job on the boards and moved the ball well. It would have all looked better had he shot well, but it is important for a young player trying to make an impression not to let his success as a shooter determine how he plays the rest of the game.

Melton tends to play with such a joy – he smiled as if amused when he was called for a foul on what looked like a clean block of a Collin Sexton drive in the first half – he seems to constantly seek ways to impact the game. After a slick finish inside, he deflected the inbounds pass and chased down the rebound. After he missed a free throw following a no-look flip he swished, he grabbed the board of his own miss.

He needs to get a better feel for when he can score inside. He was not getting to the rim often on Saturday, he sought to finish over big men inside, a challenge that will be considerably greater against NBA rim protectors. There were other possessions late when his move did not work and he forced things off the dribble or with a contested 3.

Melton should be able to make those adjustments. He is so smooth with the ball, he does not seem out of control. Rather than frantic, he appeared to be making decisions.

He had better games in Las Vegas than he did on Saturday, but even while making 5 of 17 attempts, Melton had 17 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists and four blocked shots in his 29 minutes, showing his ability to contribute in many ways.

3. The Rockets brought last season's two-way players, R.J. Hunter and Markel Brown, to Las Vegas. Both seemed to need more time to make the jump.

Both seem capable of shooting better than they did in Las Vegas, but in five games, Brown made just 7 of 30 shots, Hunter 19 of 47.

Hunter had an outstanding game against the Warriors when he made 8 of 14 shots, but never quite consistently made the shots he did that night the rest of the way.

The only player taken in the first round of a draft (by Boston) on the Rockets' Summer League team, Hunter still looks like a player with potential to put it together, but might need more time. He made sure to give himself that chance to develop.

Hunter was given a choice between a one- and two-year two-way contract last season. He chose the two-year deal to work on his game.

He still could have that deal converted to a standard contract. The Rockets have Gary Clark, who did not play in the Summer League while rehabilitating an ankle injury, and second-round pick Vincent Edwards as options for the two-way contracts. Hunter, however, did not put pressure on them to find a place for him on their regular-season roster.

That could still come in the fall as he continues to look for that next step.

#1062 J.R., Jul 14, 2018
    slothy420, D-rock, mockster and 2 others like this.
  3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

got sent down to d-league lol

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was hurt
    He was at game watching from the side

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

House about to show the world he’s on Paul George’s level :eek:

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Value your opinion saleem. You are probably right and the remaining portion of the MLE going towards Melo.
    Just a “what if” Houston clears some space via Nene/Nanu/ other Rocket(s) & Capela tries to hold the Rockets hostage.

Here are Capela and Nogueira numbers: per basketball-reference.com (17/18)
    Player......PER...ORb%....DRb%.....Blk%....USG%....mins/gm....DRtg....ORtg....2-pt %ast’d....Dunks Md
    Capela: ...24.5....13.5........30.8........5.7........19.4...........27.5.........101.......126...........819................213
    Nogueira: 17.3.....4.9.........18.1........8.2........11.4...........8.5............98........123...........818.................29
    Dunks Md = number of successful throwdowns

So the rebounding is a question with Lucas N. Is Val and Ibaka taking away rebounding opportunities from Nogueira?
    Mins?

Capela previous year without CP3 (w/Harden-D’Antoni.....16/17)
    Player.........PER....ORb%....DRb%...Blk%.....USG%....mins/gm...DRtg...ORtg...2-pt %ast’d....Dunks Md
    Capela: .......21.4.....12.5........24.5......4.1..........19.9...........23.9.......106......122............826................163

(15/16 w/Harden-D12....No D’Antoni)
    Capela: .......18.3......14.4........22.7......5.2..........16.1...........19.1.......104......114............667.................98

Again rebounding is a concern but hard to tell with so few mins and lower USG% than Capela.

17/18
    Lowry: 6.9 ast/game..............30.9 ast%.......................vs...................CP3: 7.9 ast/game...........40.9 ast%
    DeRozan: 5.2 ast/game.........25.0 ast%.......................vs...................Harden: 8.8 ast/game......45.1 ast%
    _______________________________________....................___________________________________
    Total of 12.1 ast/game and combined 55.9 ast%..........vs..................16.7 ast/game & combined 86.0 ast%

I have no doubt Nogueira would benefit from picture perfect lobs. According to stat/nba.com
    PnR (Roll-Man)
    Nogueira (17/18): 42.1% frequency............1.44 ppp......................91.8 percentile

I expect Capela to return......but I’m not against bringing in Nogueira for defensive purposes like covering up Melo’s
    defensive flaws (Lucas N. rim protection).

https://thedynastyguru.com/2017/02/09/digging-for-diamonds-lucas-nogueira/
    Article from 2017 with some interesting info on Nogueira as far as overload off bigs and some +/- stats w/Raps

#1067 ApacheWarrior, Jul 14, 2018
    saleem and fckbandwagons like this.
  8. Dash

Dash Member

I'm gonna give Edwards a pass for his shitty game, sprained his ankle only a few days ago . He shouldn't even be playing, he probably rushed himself back since Adel is about to steal his roster spot. Probably will end up playing for vipers for a full year

saleem likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I value your searching for bargain basement players - not sure we can realistically clear 'cap space' (ie, get under the salary cap line and use cap space to sign a free agent). We could PERHAPS hope that Toronto rescinds his QO OR is willing to entertain the idea of a S&T for a vet like Nene (at his QO kind of pay range).

Bebe would be an interesting fit as an athletic rim protecting big, and if he takes his QO with Toronto he will essentially cost them double due to their tax situation (I think that's right?) - so they wouldn't want to pay him more than that?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Summer League Wrap-up: I really enjoyed watching this team play. Overall, I thought this was encouraging SL. We seemed to have drafted, signed and developed some young talent that can strengthen our bench/depth.

Melton: Wow, kid has real potential and showed steady improvement offensively until this last game (appeared to force it more than other games). Great defensive player who can be disruptive with his hustle and anticipation. Clean block on Sexton today was beautiful. He has some unique finishing capability and a decent outside shot that just needs a bit more refinement. He took a lot of contested threes in SL play, but should have open looks if he gets some time in our rotation. He's decent ball-handler and passer, but could use more time running an offense in the G-League to feel more comfortable. Overall, this young man looks like an absolute steal at #46 and should be perfect compliment to our team as 4th-5th PG/SG this year. Great pick Morey!

Hartenstein: Solid big man, whose game is progressing nicely. Should make the roster, but needs more time in G-League. He gives us a 7' 260-pound center that isn't a stiff. Has a good feel for the game and can rebound. If we sign him, he'll be 4th center on our roster, which may mean someone may be traded, we stash him overseas or another G-League year. I doubt the latter will happen.

Qi: Is making progress, but could use a little more good weight and more time in the G-League. He may become a trade chip if TF isn't as hungry for those Chinese dollars--having him on your team is a nice bonus for the Marketing team for any club.

Adel: Nice/smooth player. Wanted to see him get more time and he did today. His body type, slashing style and solid offensive game reminds me a little of former Rocket Lewis Lloyd. However, Adel appears to be a much better defensive player than what I remember of LL. I could definitely see him as someone that could win a roster spot at the end of the bench as a 3&D guy, with more offensive upside.

House: As a 25-year old with some NBA game experience, its clear he had a lot of confidence going into the SL. Personally, when I first saw him, I thought he's a solid G-League player, but his effort, skills and range grew on me. He has the score first mentality and definitely appears to be a fairly consistent 3-pt shooter. He'll probably get an opportunity with someone, I'm just not sure its us.

Edwards: Didn't look good tonight, but wasn't terrible in stretches during the SL. Has some range and all around skills, just nothing really popped off the screen.

Onuaku: Another big who appeared to make some strides. Best passer of the 3 bigs in the SL. Has some skills and would probably be a better version of Tarik Black, I just don't see him being a better option then Hartenstein or Qi at this point. Maybe becomes a trade sweetener. Although I'll miss his underhand FTs--they're fun to watch.

Duval: After GM1 he appeared to be the UDFA steal (now Adel probably is). He has the RAW talent, but he'll need coaching and playing time. He would be the perfect 2-way contract, I just don't think we have a slot.

Brown/Hunter: Wish these guys luck, but I think we have some talent better than these guys for the big club. Could be G-League filler or sign elsewhere.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Unless Hartenstein signs a 2 way contract, Duval or Deng should be able to get one too. House is a local guy, I like that. His NBA experience gave him an edge, but he isn't versatile. I would pass up on him too. Morey might not. I think Morey may not give Deng a chance, because he believes Edwards is better. Deng definitely has more upside than Vince does. I don't have much faith in Daryl Morey, I admit. I do like Melton and Clark. I'm excited to see them progress. I do give Morey credit for that. Brown probably will be cut. I think House will beat RJ to the post.

#1071 saleem, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If Gordon is indeed in the market? You have to keep House since he seems the most offensively geared out of the SL. He could come in and get you 10-12 ppl off the bench. Reminds me of Marcus Thornton

13. Progs

Progs Member

I think once Edwards had that 20 pt game vs the Clippers, he clinch his spot for a year. I like Adel better too as he is a year and a half younger and knows how to play in an offense. I want to see him in training camp in September to see how much more he has improved. With Paul & Harden at point guard he can look even better. Melton is excellent in the defense of end. Just continue to work on that offense to untapped that upside he still has.

Cstyle42 and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

If I'm not mistaken Edwards had signed his Exhibit 10 contract before that game. Getting hurt after the 20 point game slowed him down, but a 3 point effort against the Cavs was very poor. Adel should definitely be given a chance in training camp. I hope the Rockets will sign him and Duval to 2 way contracts soon, at the expense of Brown and RJ.

Melton should be signed to a guaranteed contract as soon as possible. He is a hard worker. CP and Harden can help him a lot.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for the breakdown. I agree it's time to say goodbye to Hunter and Brown. I think you are understating Zhou Qi's improvement though. To me, he was the 3rd best player on our squad this summer league, right after House and Melton. I think his upside is off the charts. Got to find a way to retain control of Deng and Duval.

D-rock likes this.
  16. rocketseagles07

The thing with Melton’s shot was I was expecting it to be terrible. It’s already improved significantly from his 1 year at SC... we drafted him for defense

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

From what i've seen and read here, I think the players that did well are Melton, House, Adel, Qi, Hartenstein and Duval. All should be signed one way or another. They have showed that they can play well together. I think it sucks that they couldn't go further after having such a good start but thats the system.

saleem likes this.
  18. saleem

House can make it to the team, but he won't get many minutes with Harden and Eric. I think he will do better on another team.

19. saleem

Unfortunately, there isn't room for all of them on the Rockets.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My problem...understanding how to evaluate SL players is in those few words: '...NBA experience...' That, it Shirley means to me, gives one a decided advantage over an 18 or 21 year old professional novice.

As I suggested, however, my problem. I just undervalue the effects of SL successes (or failures, even).