1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets confident they will sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 9, 2018.

1. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

This a game where PG was in foul trouble and they featured Melo a bit more

Fullcourt likes this.
  2. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

You're just doing the thing Ive noticed negative people do. They sit there and criticize everything and say how it wont work, so if it doesnt they can sit here and say I told you so, and if it does work you can say hey we are winning yay and completely ignore your past negativity.

3. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Vehemently?? I have never been described as such before...thank you

Melo succeeding here comes with him being incorporated properly with him also buying into the system. CP3 being here is huge, if he wasn't I'd understand the concern.

4. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Hahahahahaha

Give me a break man. I'm allowed to voice my very valid concerns, while also hoping that my favorite team succeeds

Corrosion and don grahamleone like this.
  5. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

This is why we hope it is different here:

"I think the player that they wanted me to be and needed me to be was for the sake of this season," Anthony said. "Everything was just thrown together and it wasn't anything that was planned out. Wasn't no strategy to me being here, me being a part of the actual system and what type of player and things like that."

OKC has no structure there. It is do what Russ wants first second and third the sprinkle in some PG. Sure Melo missed open shots in OKC but overall stats said he made them also. There is also a bigger difference in the way Russ passes to a shooter and the way CP3 and Harden pass to shooters. Many times you see OKC shooters have to reach or bend for the ball on passes from Russ. He very rarely puts the ball for a clean catch and shoot. Also the ball moves when Russ or PG wanted it to move. I seen games were Melo goes an entire quarter with 1 or 2 touches. Then all the sudden he misses a couple wide open shots because there is not flow to the offense. Never know when you are going to get the ball. No real system in place it is just Russ ball.

6. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

This.

7. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

True. With a guy like Cp3 the Rockets can afford to take a risk on Me7o! Cp3 has proven his point god level leadership skills that the Rockets clearly believe can get the best out of him.

bj3175 likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We already have MoF's and we don't even have M! Nice!

YOLO and Easy like this.
  9. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Very true! I remember noticing cp3 putting the ball perfectly in Rhynos hands and made him look servicable for a while.

10. bmd

bmd Member

Two things I don't like about Melo's game, and you can see both in those highlight videos.

1. The main aspect of his game is isolation post-ups or face ups and taking long-range 2's. He's good at it, but it's still not a high percentage shot. Harden and Paul are the two best in the league in isolation. There is no room for Carmelo to also be playing isolation basketball... and doing it much less efficiently compared to Harden and Paul.

2. This one may be even more important... but Melo doesn't hustle. At all. He's walking up the court or barely even jogging and everyone is passing him up when his own team is trying to push the ball. And on defense, he's not paying much attention to his man, and lazily going for a rebound without bothering to try to put a body on someone. This aspect of his game worries me the most of all. The lack of caring for the team as a whole is not how you play winning basketball. Players who care hustle and try. Carmelo doesn't. He inefficiently gets his points and gives little effort outside of that.

Corrosion, Gri, mikol13 and 1 other person like this.
  11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I hope we land melo and I want him starting at the 3 with Pj at the 4.

His last few years in NY and lone season in okc were all a mess.

That why I’m surprised PG13 stayed in okc. Russ is impossible to play with. It has nothing to do with not enough shots to go around it’s that there is no shots to go around in an actual system.

One game Russ gets 20 assist the next game he takes 35+ shots and the crazy thing is I’m not exaggerating.

Here we run the same thing over and over again with 2 of the 5 best playmaker/passers in the nba.

Melo fits perfect offensively in this system and it’s why Morey,cp3 and harden wanted him so bad last year and also why MDA is okay with being reunited with him.

Think of all the times Ariza and Luc either a) passed up a semi open 3 or b) put the ball on the floor because the had the advantage on a close out but we’re unable to finish? That happens a lot every game with their two.

With melo he’ll be good about from 3 if not better than both of them but he’ll be 100x better at attacking the scrambling defense. That’s what gets me most excited. Having a guy on the wing who can actually put the ball on the floor and get a good shot off from the attention cp3 and especially harden draw when there in attack mode going down hill.

On D he has to buy in no doubt about that but I think being on a true team that can win the chip and with cp3 and a true mvp in harden he’ll bust his ass and at least try on that end of the court.

If that happens watch out Houston will be much better than last year.

Capela/nene/hartenstein
    Pj/Ryno
    Melo/Ennis
    Harden/Gordon
    Cp3/MCW/melton

That team is better than last year and deeper with some younger legs.

I also expect Ryno to contribute even if it’s just 10-15 min a night with the second unit being a straight gunner. He’s still and asset and he’s still and elite shooter and decent rebounder. No reason he shouldn’t see some minutes.

The real question is can Melton take MCW minutes. If he can the rockets are right their with GS because now we got a guy who can defend and really help out if cp3 needs rest or gets hurt. Last year we had no guards besides harden and Gordon when cp3 went down. Now we have two guys who can at least play and take some minutes away from JH and EG if CP can’t go. That’s huge.

lilbird20, dlite316 and H-Town Melo like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think melo could eventually be willing to come off the bench . Even if not , we can sub him out quickly and put him back in during the right spots .

Winning cures a lot of problems .... and even if we don't win 65 games again . We will be doing a lot of winning . The regular season Is for building momentum and chemistry .

13. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I agree with both points but sometimes you gotta go with them especially when he's feeling it. The key is for him to get to certain spots and avoid pull up 3s. Harden and Paul have advantages over Melo in their Isolations. Paul keeps defenders on their heels, Harden is a crafty finisher and also keeps defenders on their heels. Melo has great footwork and his 1 dribble pull up is money, I hate that his 2nd dribble doesn't go anywhere, i.e. it should lead him towards to the rim.

He's never been a high motor guy and I think he's got to anticipate more IMO but instincts defensively come natural to players, its not something thats learned. I def think he could move more on both sides of the ball, when he does he's much more impactful on both side.

Great points BMD.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

yes, give me the black ryan anderson

Corrosion likes this.
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Melo would never play hot potato with the basketball. Take that as good or bad lol

mikol13 likes this.
  16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

yup, melo would rather hold the ball for 20 seconds than pass it quickly.

jab step...
    jab step...
    jab step...
    jab step...
    rinse, repeat...

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

From one extreme fatality to another extreme fatality lol.

At least they are both equally horrendous on defense.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Brooklyn sent Lin to the Hawks with nothing coming back in return. They have 10.6M in cap space.

Thunder get- Allen Crabbe
    Nets get- Carmelo Anthony plus whatever compensation the Nets deem worthy

It costed the Nets 2 2nd round picks and cash to rid themselves of Mozgov's deal so I'm pretty the 10M difference and basically huge savings for the Thunder will start there.

I'm thinking a future 1st unprotected and a couple 2nd round picks should suffice.

Thunder could then either waive Crabbe as well or just keep him on the books for a year. Nets would clearly waive Melo.

Something to look forward to tomorrow, I think we get a resolution by Monday.

Cash Cam likes this.
  19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Equally my ass

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Not much worse than when harden pounds the ball for 22 seconds and says oh here ariza you jack up a shot and ruin your percentage lol

typically when nba players do that , they are taking a breather on offense.

napalm06 likes this.