1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] White Sox @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 5, 2018.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I would stay away from moving springer out of of the leadoff spot...you may wake up @bobrek

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why? We won it and are looking like a pretty good bet to repeat. The White Sox have no tie to us other than that series 13 years ago. I can't equate going 7-0 against them in a regular season against a team in the middle stages of a Astros-like rebuild to losing the World Series against that same team 13 years ago.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yankees playing a make-up game today with a doubleheader.

I'll accept a split right now.

4. raining threes

Why are you moving Gurriel who has the highest BA with RISP in the league down in the order?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also moving the reigning AL MVP and current leader in hits out of the 3rd spot. Also moving one of the hottest hitters in baseball out of the two spot. Also changing things around for the team that is second in all of MLB in runs per game. Guys get used to batting in certain positions and get comfortable in those positions. I don't understand why folks want to change things. And if the argument is "they could do better", I'll counter with "they could do worse".

eric.81, raining threes and NIKEstrad like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gurriel will move down to 5th when Correa gets back.

Having said that, no need for any lineup f**kery right now. One player is in a slump....lets move around everybody.

raining threes likes this.
  7. bobrek

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if Hinch keeps Gurriel cleanup when Correa gets back.

raining threes likes this.
  8. raining threes

Agreed, you dont want to mess with the chemistry this team currently has. With that said, if Springer is still slumping a month from now moving Springer down should be an option.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Because he would be hitting behind all of our best hitters

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Altuve would be great in the 2 spot. Hes made for it. Bregmans on base pct and incredible ability to work the count makes him a great leadoff hitter. Springer has been effective as a leadoff guy but he’s a cleanup hitter. It was just an idea. You guys that get your panties in a wad over batting order suggestions make this board a bit pedantic

11. raining threes

You would think that having the best BA with RISP you would want to get him the most chances possible to drive in runs. Springer is badly slumping and you want to put him in a RBI position ahead of the best RBI guy in the league. # Crazy talk.

BTW, Gurriel is a better hitter than George is. Go ahead and flame me, but watch some Astros games and tell me I'm wrong. Even Yuli's outs are usually hard hit balls. There's nobody except maybe Bregs that I would rather have hitting in clutch situations than Yuli. You want to get him more AB's not less.

jim1961 likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I'll counter with "Guys get moved around and do just fine". Unless the player in question is a mental midget, he can manage a change in BO as well.

Tomstro likes this.
  13. bobrek

You threw a lineup suggestion out there. A few of us commented as to why not maintain the status quo. Isn’t that what a discussion board is all about? Are we supposed to just agree? We can’t have our own thoughts?

14. bobrek

So...you really think the second highest scoring team in MLB should change their batting lineup? Again? If they’ll do ‘just fine’ by moving them, then why move them?

bigdaddy likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The lineup has already changed. It evolves and changes every year. Why do you pretend it doesn't?

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Sure. Still, springer is a 4/5 hitter. Bregman 1 and altuve 2 is better

17. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Not that I have any dogs in this fight, but you’re confusing the natural evolution of a lineup over a full season to a sudden complete overhaul just for the sake of making changes

18. bobrek

Changed how? When healthy they were hitting Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, just like last year. Yuli essentially moved from 6 to 5 and the other 4 kind of bounce around depending on who is playing and who they are facing just like last year.

19. bobrek

How do you know that? Bregman and Altuve both have around a .950 OPS in their current positions.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What? When did I suggest this? All I am saying at this time is that we shouldn't be tied to a specific BO merely because of precedent.