1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: CP3 Pushing for Rox to Sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If CP wants Melo, fine. But CP is in charge of feeding Melo and taking him on walks.

ArtV, NIKEstrad, Os Trigonum and 29 others like this.
  2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Since he will be on a vets min contract, Melo can be easily waived in favor of a Bobby Brown, Austin Jackson, or similar scrub if he sucks. There's nominal financial commitment and we are not giving up any picks

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

His defense will have to be damn good for him to be a starter and from what I saw last year, he will not bring it defensively. The Rockets became the team they were last year because the defense was so damn good.

4. gotsis

gotsis Member

All stats and information tell me it should be a pass on Melo and he is washed up. But I do admit, considering that we have to try and beat the Warriors, that I think Melo could be a high risk worth taking. He would be a defensive liability, but could provide some scorching games against GSW.

But, yeah. Rationally, think we should just pass.

napalm06 and B-Bob like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

did u look at the context? It was a reply to u saying "a player is always better off re-signing with the team that has his bird rights"...If a guy is not a max player - there are probably teams with cap room to sign him... just because his original team has bird rights and can circumvent the cap doesnt mean they are necessarily the best payday for that player - case in example Trevor Ariza...

#145 kjayp, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. txn

txn Member

Can’t be. Most likely before the season? Otherwise they can pretty much waive Melo the last day, what’s the point everybody talk about it then.

7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

It would evolve the offense potentially. Ariza is no Melo, more room for Harden/Paul to operate and Capela to work the middle. Another ball handler as well.

We gotta stop putting Melo into a box, he has a vast skillset that can be utilized. Turning him into a statue is the problem OKC had.

D-rock likes this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Thanks for your feedback, Carmelo. I agree, making you a black hole midrange volume shooter is the key.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

In our system, 3 and 4 is basically interchangeable. I agree that Melo guarding on the perimeter could be a problem. But OKC managed to have a top 10 defense last year despite Melo’s deficiencies.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

His defense will be fine. Utah started attacking him in the pick n roll and they weren't getting much more than normal. The key is knowing where to send the ball handler or instead of just switching the pick actually have the guard(Harden or Paul) fight over while Melo hedges and the other 3 defenders stunt and rotate back.

The whole Melo defense thing is overblown sure he's not Scottie Pippen but he's not a liability either. He could be better on that side of the ball however, instincts are important, he lacks those.

11. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

As long as you agree.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

evolve to what extent making hou suck defensively? no thanks. the rockets just had one of the best offensive seasons in not only their own history but the entire league. once again limited bench role or no thanks.

bulkatron likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

what does that even mean. and yet they got beat by a team led by a rookie.

bulkatron likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course hes a liability. im done with this. its obvious you're not even trying to be rational. just tunnel vision. thank you melo for trying to make a case for yourself

bulkatron likes this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Trevor Ariza didn't/wouldn't have... we had his bird rights - we weren't gonna pay him 15M - Suns were willing to... so he made more money signing with the team that didn't have his bird rights - rather than the team that did...

16. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

First of all it isn't your choice so the "limited bench role" or not thanks part is moot.

Second your team missed like 30 consecutive 3s in Game 7, offense still matters

Since guys love advanced stats

Ariza DRTG: 104.3
    Melo DRTG: 105.6

And Melo's went up as did the entire OKC team when Roberson went out for the season.

So again where is the issue?

hakeem94, D-rock and Cash Cam like this.
  17. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

He's not a liability, you just want to believe that because someone told you he was.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

most rocket 3s are wide open. Also cp3 gets you the ball exactly where you want it.

cant ever count out motivation level. I dont think he wanted to be there.

SWTsig and hakeem94 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

who cares about choice. it isnt your choice either so that was a dumb post.

LOL you realize the higher the defensive rating the worse you are on defense right? congrats you just played yourself. learn how to read stats before you post kid. good night

hopefully tomorrow theres less of the same regurgitated wishful thinking melo posts.

20. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Yes I know that but they're literally 1 point off of each other and Melo's was better before Roberson went down with injury or you unable to comprehend my reasoning behind posting the DRTG?

So how exactly did I play myself?

And I never said he has to start or come off the bench, I could care less as long as he utilized properly within the confines of the team. You out here giving ultimatums like ya last name is Fertitta, Morey or D'Antoni.