1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah as if CP doesnt have enough on his plates already, lets give him babysitting duty. A 34 year old who has always put himself first over the team and is a chemistry wrecker.

B-Bob and YOLO like this.
  2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Or you could say had we had another proven scorer we could have, in fact, beaten the warriors.

We’re not beating GSW w defense. We need an unrelenting offensive attack. End of story.

Baqui99 likes this.
  3. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Goes from executive of the year to packing his back that quickly?

There are going to be a lot of "I told you so" on both sides coming from this thread if the Rockets get Melo for this upcoming season

Put me on the I think we could use Melo train and it might work out

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

your very post says enough..."you could say"

yeah someone doesn't understand the rockets system. End of story

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I would sign him only if bringing Jim B'heim in as an assistant.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, you’re damn sure not beating GS by trying to outscore or outshoot them, especially if your trump card for that is Melo...that notion needs to die

Rockets have to be elite defensively if they have any hope of beating GS...you are not outshooting Curry, Klay, and KD...it’s not happening

IvanLCPM, OmegaSupreme and mike2k132 like this.
  7. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

The bottom line would be
    1. Is Melo a better suit than Ryan for this team when line up against GS? I would assume yes.

2. Is this a low risk high reward deal? It seems like it. There are a lot of you saying Melo is toxic to the chemistry. Was he toxic in Denver back in his hay days when he was winning? Not that I know of. I think he would be alright in a winning system. There are going to be some reef breaks out on the court between him and harden just like with cp last season. I highly doubt much toxic is gonna spill from him if he joins us as we are a proven team. Even without Trevor Ariza, I’m Pretty sure we are Going to be top 4 if not top 2 in the West. Like I said, it changes everything when you are winning.

3. Are there anyone better on the market that’s available right now for us that’s better than Melo? Probably not, a lot of trade scenario has been throwing around but I just don’t see how they could materialize. Any trade would have to revolve around Ryan and the opposite team is going to ask for the whole farm to absorb his contract. Maybe we will be pull something out of the hat during the mid season before trade deadline?

4. Imagine a line up of cap/Melo/(jb or Otto)/harden/cp. it is a little far stretch but it is not impossible. That line up would be deadly against anyone including the warriors.

It is 95% that Melo is gonna wear a rockets jersey this coming season. It is where he wanted to go and still is. As a rockets fan, I can’t be happier consider we lost Ariza. If Melo signs with us, it only means we have one more capable rotational player that we can input to the cp3/cap(assume we will work something out with him at the end)/harden trio. I’m very optimistic about running it back against warriors! Let’s go rocks!

ArtV, Rashmon, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

All can be said of iso Joe, too

Zboy likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nope.

We need defense to stifle them and then have enough offense.

That is exactly how we got them to 3-2.

We have them figured of defensively. Our legs gave way because of shortened rotation and thus all those misses in second halves of last two games.

With Melo, Warriors keep attacking him and we keep giving up points and there is no way that chucker makes up for it on the other end. That series would have been over in 5 games with Melo on the team.

Warriors are practically begging us to add that selfish chucker to our roster.

Seriously, you guys must have not watched Melo for last 10+ years. Go read up on what Karl said about him in his book. You cant change this man at 34 years old. CP is a great player but he is not a shrink lol.

And dont bring up that Team USA garbage. Team USA did not play Warriors. The worst of Melo comes out when the team faces adversity.

fattz and YOLO like this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Offensive firepower is what failed Houston in Games 6 and 7.

He is the kind of player that can win you a game(or lose it)

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pretty much this.

Melo can still be the #1 option on a championship contender. He has the skill set for that. The problem is, he needs a team with other scoring options, but not good enough so that he isn't the #1 option. So cross off teams like the Rockets, Warriors, Celtics, Lakers.

Honestly, the Spurs might be a good fit for Melo. Their guards are good enough to handle the ball, but aren't the primary means of scoring (Rockets/Warriors), their forwards are good enough, defensively and aren't the primary means of scoring (Celtics/Lakers) and realistically, the Spurs can incorporate him into the system while letting him be the #1 option, while also LMA get his.

Most importantly to Melo, he can start in SA. But he'd have to buy into the Spurs system.

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

Watching him play in crunch time last year, the guy was a f****** train wreck. He's done.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Melo is one year older than Chris Paul, who played at an all-NBA level this past season. His offensive skills are not heavily predicated on elite athleticism, so unless you think he forgot how to shoot or get to his sweet spots on the floor, he can still be effective as a third scorer if used properly. I’m not expecting Melo to carry a team offensively night after night. But he’s someone defenses have to account for.

Also, Melo is one year removed from averaging 22 points a game with the Knicks on 19 shots a game.

Tfor3 and don grahamleone like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For the vet minimum? What's the worst that could happen?

DonKnock, Tfor3 and hieuytran like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

we need 2-way players...we need guys that can score and hold their own defensively...we don’t need guys who score inefficiently and are trash defensively

How much worse would our defense have been in game 7 if we were trotting Melo out there for 25+ minutes? Sure, he wouldn’t have gone scoreless like Ariza, but it’s not like he’s about to go out there and be an offensive beast against GS either. Then there’s the question of how many points would he have been giving up defensively?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

and Melo is not even close to comparable to cp3. I have still yet to see anything from you that is a positive for melo on this team honestly. alot of regurgitation of the past 25 pages

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Joe Johnson, while a really good player in his prime, has never been the same caliber of offensive player as Melo. Melo in his prime was like Kyrie Irving in Cleveland. A great offensive player but not interested in playing defense, and not good at making his teammates better. Kyrie underwent a major metamorphosis in Boston for the better, maybe being paired with his good friend CP3 could make Melo do the same.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thicc, solid, tight.

J.R. likes this.
  20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member