1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is sad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 1, 2018.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Clearly with the cap getting higher avg salary increases, that’s pretty obvious don’t you think?

What I’m saying is players like Capela are not worth 30% of the cap in any era, expect the last 2 years.

And you say the cap will rise which I’m sure it will but it’s not going to rise 30m in one offseason like it did 2 years ago.

Capela is worth 15% of the cap, he’s a defensive/rebounder who’s offense is boosted by playing with two of the best playmakers of all time who are transcendent in the pick and roll.

Find me a defensive player in any era who’s limited on offense making anywhere close to the max?

Look at how screwed up okc is because they have max money tied up in Steve Adams? He’s a very good center comparable to Capela but they are in luxury tax hell and don’t have any ways to make any moves at all. Houston doesn’t either but their luxury tax bill is lower and have a much deeper team. Losing Ariza doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me since we had his bird rights but I guess morey has a plan.

The thunder have 4 guys making 25+ a year the highest in the league. And two of them Adams and Melo are not close to being good value. Adams more than Melo obviously but still.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Even if you wanted to give him 30% of the cap he's not elligible for it. His max is 25%.
    And Adams hasn't signed a max contract.
    15% of the cap = only 16 mil and is a lowball for Capela and I won't blame him for taking the QO and getting a richer contract next season as a UFA.

3. Lebronto

Lebronto Member

So who can realistically sign capela? i think teams realized capela is only as good as your star playmaker. he has to be involved in the offense otherwise he is clogging up the paint.

after parsons and anderson, i think teams are wary about giving rockets players who shine next to harden big money. they know harden is the one carrying.

smp likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Give him a three year $54 million deal with a player option in year 3. If he outplays his contract he hits free agency the same time as Gordon and Anderson.

Rocket PR and Deckard like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

4 for 60. If he takes the qualifying offer this year that means to better that he needs to beat 3/55 elsewhere (average AAV of 18 and change next year).
    Looks like more teams with room next year, but that's not a guarantee that he does better than that. He could also have an injury, he's never made big money, and he's got, lets just say, offensive skills that require some help from playmakers to be beneficial. This seems like a good compromise deal, sets him for life in a way he's just not set for right now, and allows him to hit FA, made for life, at 27 million to end up with buying your own island money earned over the course of his career.
    Life lesson- never pass up guaranteed life changing money- in a place where you fit in and are valued, chasing marginal dollars that won't markedly impact your life.
    I assume the FO would be fine with doing a deal like this. They have the hammer and can use it however they like, but this seems more than fair. If they want to go to 4/72 or something like that I can't see how they turn that down. If their stance really is "go set your market" and nobody has room to offer him anything, that makes the QO legitimate and workable for him which is completely cutting off your nose to spite your own face territory for the FO, and too clever by half. I can't imagine them making this mistake.

I can't imagine something not working out for the Rockets and CC, longterm, and the team dodged a bullet that the Mavs didn't offer him 4/88 or something like that. I mean, that's just absurd that they'd rather have DJ for 1/24. Just a strange move by Cuban.

UTSA2step likes this.
  6. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

So, what's holding up CC's re-signing?

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

He wants more money than what the Rockets offered but nobody out there is willing to give him more, for now at least.

8. jogo

jogo Member

How much is Capela's QO?

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this smells like a DMo stalemate.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Capela knows his rights.

Remlap and lnchan like this.
  11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No team offered Boogie a contract. That's amazing! He called Myers, smh

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey didn't go after him?

13. Possum

Possum Member

Would you trade capella for CAT? Apparently Butler doesn’t like KAT. One needs to go.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I would

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He gets signed after everything else is finished...and forget about us bidding against ourselves. Now, it's true that he lacks certain things, but everyone forgets about the switching ability( the Adams comparison..please)...plus he's getting better by the day.

And, what's our record when Beard/CP3/CC play?

There's a middle ground here. They'll find it. (unless he does get an offer, then we'll match)

D-rock likes this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i was thinking the aaron gordon contract is similar to what clint should get. however if the rockets are waiting for him to get an offer so they can match... he might be had for even less.

only teams left with any space are the hawks (who said they just want to take salary for picks), bulls (who would have to settle their own cap holds first) and kings. i can see clint getting an offer from the bulls or kings but it wont be what he wants.

best guess: he takes a 1+1 deal somewhere between $15-18M from the kings or bulls, or he accepts a 4 year deal starting at $18M similar to aaron gordon.

D-rock likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Reposting from the other thread because it probably belongs here.

We've built up Capela's value all year long, now it is imperative for the Rockets to sign and trade him to maximize value.

The Rockets need a third star, and Capela is our most valuable trade asset. We won't be paying 4 players near max, plus Ryno. Sign and trading Capela is the only path to a third star.

Capela is a tremendous player for us, but he is a system player. He's worth the money in this system, but there are players you can get 80% what he gives on a MLE contract. And the biggest issue, he loses half his effectiveness against GS because they switch everything. You still get the ace rebounding and adequate defense, but he hurts you on offense against those schemes. And you can't pay someone that kind of money if he's going to be half useless against the one team you need to beat to win a chip.

Sign and trade Capela for a third star and sign Lucas Nogeuira for the mle and you are set.

smp likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

WTF???????

Stop drinking and please don't drive tonight!

19. Remlap

Remlap Member

Capela OWNED KAT in the Minny series.
    NO WAY would I make that trade unless absolutely necessary

D-rock likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Kings, Bulls and Atlanta are the only ones with money.
    Kings are going after the Bulls RFA Lavine so that will take 3 more days at least.
    Then let's see who the loser targets. For the Rockets it's better if the Bulls waste their capspace on Lavine.

D-rock likes this.