1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHX pursuing Trevor Ariza (UPDATE: Ariza signs one-year, $15M deal with Phoenix)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2018.

1. bevo202

bevo202 Member

So we have the taxpayers MLE and the vet minimum to get a starting small forward, backup power forward, and backup point guard?

2. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

Marcus Morris took a dece on the Morey curse while playing a huge role for the Celtics last season lol.

saleem and daywalker02 like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not sure if another vet minimum is left after GG signed to a 2.4 M deal with it.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no such thing as a Curse.

It was well known to anyone that Morey was kicking the can back then, looking for elite talent.

I might not agree with the players that he let go or signed but it was a weary process.

Imagine if we missed out on Harden.

And he would chase the star player for years. Would not want to go there.

5. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

And now he's gonna and try and cover Booker's deficiencies lmao.

saleem and BigShasta like this.
  6. Asian Sensation

Our MLE is around $8.6M per year right? If this is the case and assuming that Jazz writer’s prediction is correct (seems about right) we’re right there.

Again, obviously he’s not a sure thing and but I’d say he’s worth the gamble. Especially considering what’s left on the market and more importantly our own need. It’s a famine when it comes to young, athletic talent on this team. Capela is our only guy under 25. Harden and Gordon are pushing 30 and everyone else that matters is already on the wrong side of 30.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...t-should-he-be-re-signed-and-at-what-cost.amp

“Since he has missed half his career with injuries, the sample size or the body of work is incomplete, making Lindsey’s job of determining what Exum’s next contract should be worth extremely difficult.

His next contract most likely will be around $7-10 million a season for two or three years.”

7. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

Jesus dude, why don't you read this and see if you feel this same way after

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23597463/zach-lowe-trevor-ariza-houston-rockets-2018-nba-playoffs

j@amc likes this.
  8. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Just like @BimaThug have said: they are going to trade Anderson and first for Bazemore contract.

The same amount of money, considered a bad contract, zero interest among other clubs

Hawks really do want to unload him to develop Prince and Rockets would get him and would turn unplayable 20M into a starting role-playing 3-pt shooting greatD wing, who is 4 years younger than Trevor and has developed his 3pt shot, ability to put the ball on the floor and pass out of a simple situations.

The most important thing, Hawks are tanking for the next two seasons at least and they definitely doesn't need any 27-30 years of age played, who could help them win some games

BigShasta likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wished we had targeted Taurean Prince.

10. saleem

Using the 8.57 non tax payer MLE will impose a hard cap on Houston. That is put them at the apron. The Rockets won't be able to sign anyone after that, not even their rookies. The smaller 5.29 MLE is all that Houston has apart from trading Ryno or EG. I don't want EG to be traded. Ryno is of course untradable, as we all know.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Wow.

Not sure why they let him go...but best wishes to him. This team just lost a fundamental piece.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

meh...he was up'n'down and not widely expected back BTW. He's 'just a guy'.

13. Asian Sensation

Do you see any realistic scenarios to free up $3M or any amount of money? Not necessarily for Exum but it seems like we have a lot of holes to fill with hardly any room to do so. Was the deal for Green our Vet min?

How does a buyout for Nene effect our cap space assuming he agrees and someone picks him up? He looks done.

I don’t want to trade Ego either but it’s looking like we might not have a choice. He’s our best movable asset left. I wonder if packaging Ego along with Anderson becomes attractive enough for somebody to take on while giving us room and or useful pieces.

As of now we need a Starting SF, a Starting PF, a backup PG and backup C. In order of importance.

14. Asian Sensation

It wasn’t so much us letting him go but rather Ariza running to them. $15M for 1 year. That’s crazy money for him.

15. saleem

No, I don't see any realistic options for a 3 M opening. Even if it was possible, it would not be enough to acquire any player of significance. Buying out Nene won't change anything with the cap situation. Yes, Gerald Green was signed with the 2.4 M vet minimum. I also feel that it is unlikely to acquire a useful player with the 5.29 M MLE.

16. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Man. That’s a pretty big blow. Surprised that he wouldn’t have considered a 4/40 or that Houston wouldn’t have offered it - the CP signing locks us into a 4 year window, need to capitalize.

I would think Morey is confidentin his ability to land a replacement. I hope...

17. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

I think morey already did, with his draft choices

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

Well, Ariza played fewer regular season minutes than he ever has. And at the end of the season, he was playing on fumes.

He was a solid, core piece and a winner. But good fits can be found. Tucker wasn’t even on this team last year.

I loved how Ariza led by example and played hard ever night. He’ll be missed.

Deuce and Stormy1234 like this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Welp...told you there could've been some teams willing to pay him ala Reddick for one or two years...

This sucks.

@ch44 unfortunately was money again.

Bazemore for Anderson and sweeteners makes even more sense now.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Played really hard for us.

I’m okay with this. Trevor Ariza was a great rocket, and great team mate. If someone wants to pay him 15M for 1 year of basketball, we should be happy for him.

He deserves it for the work he put in with this team.

Patience and kevtse like this.