1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC's Westbrook ft. Paul George & Carmelo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The only way to get around it is to sign a player to an extension and then waive and stretch them. So the Rockets could theoretically sign Anderson to a 4 year $10,000,000 extension and then waive him and stretch him. The rule is "Twice his contract length + 1". So the Rockets could then stretch Anderson's old contract ($41,683,000) and his extension ($10,000,000) and have it stretched over 9 years. The Rockets would have a cap hit of roughly $6,000,000 a year for the next 9 seasons. Anderson would do it to get guaranteed money and know he would be released to sign elsewhere. The Rockets would do it to decrease payroll the next few years by about $10,000,000 each of the next two seasons.

This is all hypothetical anyway, I highly doubt Silver would allow it for a variety of reasons.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They hand out documentary deals to Second Bananas nowadays .

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think opting in was ever an option
    Either he gets paid somewhere else or in OKC . .. but he was going to get this payday

Rocket River

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is talk he may sign a 1+1 with OKC instead of committing long term. Considering what happened to his leg, PG should sign a 5-year max and be done with it IMO.

Rocket River and B-Bob like this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

His leg was a freak injury that he's completely, 100% recovered from. I doubt he's all that worried about something like that happening again.

Reeko likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How much sense does it make for PG to return to OKC? He can live in his hometown LA and play with LeBron or return to OKC with WB. IMO, there is no comparison however you look at it.

I consider this one still open.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Based on the documentary clip they showed on Sportscenter earlier today, I think there’s a real possibility he stays. In the clip, he talks about first being excited about playing with his fellow Los Angeles native Westbrook immediately after the trade, then how tight their bond became, and feeling like he left something on the table because of the way the Thunder’s season ended. It would be a total dick move in the final installment to then say “gotcha,” I’m taking my talents to the Lakers.

Also, you are underestimating how tight George and Westbrook may be. They are around the same age and both grew up in Los Angeles, so they probably have a pre-existing bond from playing high school/AAU ball against or with each other.

10. gotsis

gotsis Member

Thought that only Dwight Howard and Josh Smith were AAU teammates.

11. BackdoorHarden

Part 2 he said he only cares about winning a championship. Money isn't important, but winning a championship is.

Then he asked Lebron's best friend what he would do. And Lebron's friend said you have to go for the championship. No one cares about Triple Double and MVP. People only care about Championship.

Guess he's going to join Lebron in LA.

Unless he really thinks he can win a championship with Westbrook....I mean...really...As long as Westbrook is in OKC, he will never win a championship

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

It could all be a show so that Thunder fans don’t think he had eyes on LA from day 1 and so everyone will think it was real hard for him to leave.

13. DVauthrin

Not sure that Westbrook and George were AAU teammates. But it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they, at a minimum, played against each other in high school and on the circuit.

14. BackdoorHarden

Good angle.
    He's giving mixed message

1.) WB is my guy. I love playing with WB. WB makes the decision pretty easy

Right there he's saying he's staying

2.) I Love LA. I grew up dreaming of playing as a Laker, not a Pacers or OKC

3.) Winning a championship is all that mattter. That's all I care about, not the money

So now he's saying he's going to LA since he's going to leave money on the table if he leaves OKC and there is no way he will ever win a championship with OKC. OKC will have $200 million in salary if he signs, so they can't add any free agent...not that anyone would go there.

Jontro likes this.
  15. DVauthrin

In this day and age anything is possible, but it would not be a good look for George to ultimately sign with the Lakers after spending part of the documentary saying he has unfinished business after the bad way the season ended in OKC.

16. DVauthrin

Just because you or I think that a Russell Westbrook led team can’t win a championship, doesn’t necessarily mean Paul George feels that way. Westbrook does have an MVP award and back to back seasons averaging a triple double on his resume.

That said, my initial point was that the documentary clip they played on Sportscenter supports the idea that George is seriously considering staying with Westbrook in OKC. Of course, he could ultimately opt to go to the Lakers in the end.

17. BackdoorHarden

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We would "get" to pay the chump $6,000,000 for 9 years? That sounds like a nightmare scenario to me. I would prefer something less drastic.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Extend and stretch is a hypothetical, nobody has actually done it. But it is a loop hole waiting to be exploited.

Nooks math is a bit off though, you can only extend a player up to 5 total years, and you would extend him for minimum, not ten million.

So only 4 million.....for 11 years.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I knew it was a hypothetical, but heck, $4 million a year for 11 years sounds awful as well. Haven't we suffered enough?