1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets hopes for lebron haven’t changed (Plus team info)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 26, 2018.

1. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I have a feeling we find out Lebron does an opt-in and trade with the Lakers, similar to what the Rockets did with CP3. The reports that he won’t do free agent meetings, and the rumor that he may use the Space Jam 2 trailer to coincide with his choice are just too much to overlook. I think he has already made up his mind already. There’s just too much smoke to ignore at this point.

Bobsputin likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, the decision has been made and was probably made a long time ago.

Sajan likes this.
  3. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Yep. I think he has already flined the Space Jam promo in a Lakers jersey, thus all the confidence from the Hollywood side. I’m betting there will be a Woj bomb announcing he’s been traded to the Lakers in the next day or two. His trade will go through right before the final episode of Paul George’s decision documentary airs. And I bet that’s already been filmed too.

Sajan and Swiss Roll like this.
  4. basketballholic

No. Because Anderson's contract will have already expired by then.

5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I wouldn't be shocked if CP demands a sign and trade once two parts of the LA big 3 are formed. It would have to be a trade to dump Deng's contract, but im sure the Lakers would be ok with giving up some of their more redundant peaces ( Ingram, Ball, Kuzma) now that their all star equivalents have arrived.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Space Jam …. Space City …. Rockets ?!

joshuaao, dreamshakin and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That sounds good actually lol

8. CACH12

CACH12 Member

I actually think that houston's "all in" report its just smoke screen... LBJ not coming to houston

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

an opt-in and trade to the lakers wouldn't make sense for the Lakers. They would want to shed what money they do have so that would be Deng, and then give up some assets - Cleveland isn't going to agree to facilitate a trade to the Lakers where they get a bad contracts and fringe players like Ennis, Zubac etc. The Lakers do not want to give up their young core of Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma if they don't have to which they wouldn't necessarily to sign LeBron as a free agent. The lakers could do a trade into their cap space of course but that would still require them giving up some sort of asset (maybe a future 1st) if Cleveland just wants clear cap space but again its not necessary for the Lakers to do this.

Remember Gilbert was just as vocal about the whole CP3 to Lakers trade so I do not think he would still help LA create a super team again. There is no love lost between Gilbert and LeBron and I do not think either person will do each other a favor right now.

Sajan and IslandB.O.I. like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Three team deal. Deng to Atlanta with picks, fringe player to Lakers for Lebron and Korver.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Gilbert would happily do something if it gave him assets, but otherwise definitely not.

And to your point, why would the Lakers do it?? The Lakers only do this if they are in a position to get 3 players. Lebron, PG and fill in the blank. CP3 is a potential option for that. If they're at that point and trading Ingram/Kuzma/Deng in a package, they could shop that league wide, too. Eg. for Kemba. Or maybe the Wizards are potentially thinking about moving on from Wall (I would be, and would be open to a package that is Ingram/Kuzma/Ball/Deng for him... Ball next to Beal makes sense... and Wall, Lebron, PG makes some sense).

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's kind of funny... the Space Jam stuff. Of all the people who will watch Space Jam, like what, 4% will be from LA? It's not like Matt Damon has to be living in LA for people to go watch one of his movies.

adw, Sajan, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Seriously, more and more films are being moved to filming in states with better benefits like Georgia. I don't see players flocking to Atlanta to become the next Avenger... The studios may be based in LA but it's just a quick flight over to meet with executives or a quick face time call.

14. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

A Lakers uniform is much more marketable/identifiable than a Cavs or Rockets jersey to the non-NBA fan audience. Of course, they probably won't see the movie anyway but that's probably a big reason.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If CP3 leaves it'll be more like
    Lost in Space......Spaceballs......Rockets.

16. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

If Bron doesn't come to Houston, I hope he stays in Cle. I personally don't think he comes to Htown anymore even though the Rockets give him the best chance to win another title.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

FWIW I don't know if other GMs are clamoring to help the Lakers right now. Its going to require more than just a FRP to dump Deng and IMO i think he has value for a win now team as a 3 and D wing he just didn't fit in the Lakers youth movement plan. He has two more years left on his deal if Atlanta took him on it would require more compensation IMO because they are essentially then paying something around 35-36M for a FRP that would be in the 20s or maybe 2 FRP in the 20s. 18M for a FRP is a very high price to pay for a pick in the late 20s. I am pretty sure the Hawks could get other offers that would be better for their cap space.

I believe (mainly from hearing from my friends back home) that a lot of Lakers fans are in with the Lonzo/Ingram/Kuzma youth movement. I think they would want to keep all 3 and get 2 max FAs. And part of the attraction for stars to come to LA right now is to play with the young talent LA has.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

19. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Man ... That Georgia peach symbol seems to be on everything new I watch. They are into a bunch of shows and movies.

treyk3 likes this.
  20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Chris Paul's opt-in salary was $11M lower than his potential FA max so it made sense for the Rockets to take back less money. Lebron's opt-in salary is actually slightly higher than his FA max. How would an opt-in and trade be of any benefit to Lebron or the Lakers?