1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amick] LeBron James' free agency: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul or Paul George could sway decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I lean towards his mind is already made up. I'm pretty sure he's been filming a documentary about all of this as well this offseason, similar to what CP3 did last year. He'll want this framed in a way that makes him look as good as possible.

If he stays in Cleveland it will be about staying home
    If he goes to LA it will be about a kid from Akron fulfilling his dream
    If he goes to Houston it will be about teaming up with his friend to win more titles

A circus of free agent meetings would make that look worse in my opinion.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Would you agree that it's exactly what is needed if you are Houston? I mentioned some time ago that I did not foresee a Lebron free agency tour this time around.

3. justtxyank

Yes, but I can make the same argument for each destination.

Remember he didn't do a free agency tour last time either even though his agent was setting up meetings with several teams (including the Rockets.)

J Sizzle and sammy like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think it is bad for the Rockets overall because if James were the opt out, the Rockets wouldn't have a chance at all.

Having said that, it is pretty clear to me that James already has an idea of where he wants to go and I haven't seen anything that makes me believe it is the Rockets. I know that Morey didn't seem especially bummed out at the draft or the end of season review press conference but I wouldn't read too much into it. I also know some posters were talking about the Rockets almost being involved in a bigger deal at the draft that would have netted the Rockets draft picks. I took that statement to mean that Rockets portion of the trade would not have been the part discussed by the media. That doesn't mean the Rockets were getting back a star player in the deal.

Chris Paul I am sure has kept in contact with the Rockets front office concerning James. He will have a pretty good idea as to how realistic the Rockets chances are.

Vivi, joshuaao, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

Windhorst seems pretty strong now that we will know before July 4th. Repeated multiple times now. Prior to him saying that the general consensus among "media" was that it would be a drawn out decision with even WOJ saying meetings would happen and it would go to July 11th or so.

The first Monday after Windhorst reports that, Ramona reports that Lebron won't do a free agency tour.

I think the signals are pretty strong here that he's made his decision, might do some small meeting with an owner or something, and then get it over with.

Nook likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, except if he goes to LA it will be about him putting his family interests first. The James family pretty clearly prefers LA to CLV.

7. justtxyank

Right, good call. It will be a family heavy documentary. Wouldn't be surprised if his family ends up with a show of some sort next year.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. Pretty clear that James knows where he is going to go to play and what the basis for his decision is. I thought that he would have a number of pieces set in order, prior to making his decision (George or Leonard etc.) but it is very possible that James goes where he is planning to go, regardless of who else comes with him. James was able to make it work with the Cavs owner, he can work with anyone.

9. justtxyank

SAS reported that he had heard that he would decide on LA regardless of what any other star did. I just can't see that happening though. Is really going to join the Lakers without ANYONE else coming?

I still think all of this is elaborate ruse.
    -Paul George pretending he may stay in OKC to protect the Lakers from a tampering charge
    -Lebron will evaluate options to make for good drama on his documentary
    -Lakers leaking stuff about not being sure and maybe taking salary, planning for 2019, etc. to protect from tampering charges

mikol13 likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. "Home is where the heart is." He gone.

And IMO he is going to the Lakers.

mdoggnic likes this.
  11. justtxyank

Such a fake thing to say though, especially if he picks LA. If he goes to LA he'll be choosing it as a place he wants to LIVE. His kids would rather live there, his wife would rather live there, etc. Hard to say you are still at home in Akron if you want to live somewhere else. Not WORK somewhere else, LIVE there.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree that LeBron pretty much has his mind made up. Guess we will see.

I really have no feel on what LBJ is going to do either way, so much misinformation out there. While I’d be stoked if he chose Houston, I’m not really worried about.

I think DM has some things in place that should improve the team.

sammy likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wouldn't call that fake. I don't live in Houston anymore but I rep it more than any city I have lived in, including the one I am living now.

IMO, LeBron has made is decision. Thankfully, we will get a nudge in the direction on June 29.

joshuaao likes this.
  14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yeah it is looking like LA. A bit shocking.. they’ll win about 55 games and lose in the second round to Hou or Gs

15. justtxyank

I don't know why you left Houston, but if you left because you didn't want to live here anymore then it would be weird to "rep" it. If you left or job opportunities that's different.

By all accounts Lebron's family just doesn't want to live in Cleveland area anymore. They want to LIVE in LA. His wife likes it better as a place to live. I don't blame her, but don't give me the nonsense about home is where the heart is because their heart is in LA lol.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I left for business reasons. I expect LeBron to do the same.

It's not nonsense.

joshuaao, Rox_Mayhem and J.R. like this.
  17. justtxyank

His family isn't leaving for business reasons though. They want to live in LA.

Anyway, this is a silly argument for us to have. Doesn't really matter.

J Sizzle likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

This. Not fake at all.

Akron is home, has been & will continue to be. Just because he's not "working" (playing basketball) there means it fake.

This is bigger than basketball for him. He has his foundation there. He's about to open a school later in July there.

Deuce likes this.
  19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would be surprised if this happens. LeBron has been super protective of his family and they've stayed out of the spotlight pretty much his entire career. This isn't Ayesha Curry, LaLa etc. I mean only recently have you seen stuff about his son because he is making the rounds basketball wise on his AAU team. If Bronny didnt play basektball and was just a normal kid you would even hear less about his family right now.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think Morey and the front office knows they need to try to upgrade and tweak the team and getting LeBron would be huge but they probably spent more time on more realistic avenues to upgrade the team considering the additional hurdles needed for a LeBron trade. Given the success of this past season this is a situation where getting LeBron takes from from the bottom of the hill to the top, its more of a place where they are near the top and need 1-2 more smaller pieces to get them over the hump. Maybe they had that if Luc and Chris were not hurt.

They will do what they can to improve the team no doubt, but this isn't the same situation as it was even two seasons ago where they needed to swing for the fences and get another star along Harden.

Bobsputin likes this.