1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dipping Fries in Mayo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Jun 22, 2018.

?

Are you a communist if you dip French fries in mayo?

1. Yes

50.6%
  2. No

49.4%
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t mix the mayo with anything. Just straight mayo on my fries.

burlesk likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Yes! Aioli is just flavored mayo.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I personally love the tomato base infused aoli with finely juilienned pickled cucumber that resembles a great institution's secret sauce that I won't bother to name drop. :rolleyes:

burlesk likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The mayo they give you at the fry stands, unless you ask for another sauce, just tastes different in the Netherlands, and probably in Belgium, as well. Ordinarily, I wouldn't touch mayo on pretty much anything (more of a ketchup/mustard guy), but I have it when I'm in Amsterdam, or somewhere else in the Netherlands. Maybe it tastes better because I'm in Amsterdam. Hit the coffee shop and then load up on their great fries! Haven't been in Belgium long enough to have a firm fry sauce opinion (Bruges is wonderful! - image below), but I've spent many weeks in the Netherlands over the years. It's just a wonderful country.

[​IMG]

Bruges, Belgium.

Plowman and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

People lick body parts that aren’t genitals and your weirded out by mayo? Or a brown banana?

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

All this high horsing by one individual. Lulz.

'You can't like that! Why? Cause I don't like that'

burlesk likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A Freddy's in Southwest Austin, by Mopac and William Cannon, just went out of business. Could their Fry Sauce be the reason? :eek:

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

There's been a Freddy's for 100 years, this is exactly why people should not like Austin. Austin thinks that everything is amazing and everything revolves around them.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Find me a Hollandaise sauce that doesn't have lemon or vinegar in it. (I prefer lemon.)

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, I ate there from time to time. While I didn't use their "Fry Sauce" (yuck!), I did enjoy their fries. (yummy!).

Wait. Are you saying that everything doesn't revolve around Austin? o_O

By the way, I love L&P mixed with my ketchup. Anyone else?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Love the Belgium waffles too. Can't find that crispy exterior here.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

What is L&P? I hope you mean Lea & Perrins. It shouldn't be anything else.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Try Eastside Cafe when you're in Austin. Organic food (they grow a lot of their own veggies) and they have excellent Belgium waffles. While I doubt if they compare to those in Belgium, they're freakin' tasty!

Bingo! Yes, it's Lea & Perrins. My father loved the stuff and I got the habit. I mix it with my ketchup, and use it when I make BBQ sauce.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Both Reef and Little Bigs have my favorite sriracha aioli dipping sauce for their fries. Unfortunately, Reef is still rebuilding from Harvey & Little Bigs says ("says") they're moving to a new location, but are closed, as well.

Reef is targeting to reopen in November.

[​IMG]

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I understand. As a foodie, you're trying to explain how you view Hollandaise flavor differently than Mayonnaise But in the process, you are misleading by leaving out the main ingredient difference...which is truly the main flavor difference, too.

Cooks, or hobbyest like me who view study of sauces (and stock making) a live-long pursuit of passion, never say the difference between Hollandaise (a freaking Mother Sauce) and Mayonnaise is adding an acid to it, as it is very common for both. The main difference is in the fat used.

I mean, hell, you could argue wine and extra spices is the difference between Hollandaise and Bearnaise, too. But at the heart and soul of it, the intended big difference (as seen in the difference is preparation, ie., a reduction required) is the quantity of acid you add, the intensity of it, which allows the extra spices, and makes it suitable for powerful dishes/flavors like red meat. If you just add the same spices of Bearnaise to Hollandaise, it will remain too delicate for red meat.

16. body slam

body slam Member

using just mayo as a dipping sauce does not really appeal to me

Ketchup and mayo is is awesome with fried catfish

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ketchup and A1 work also as a dipping alternative.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm addicted to Raising Cane's sauce. Looked up the recipe. Ketchup, mayo, Worcestershire. garlic, salt, pepper.

Generally, I despise mayo. I put it on nothing...ever. But that sauce. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

The Boz likes this.
  19. prohibido

prohibido Member

Belgium isn't even a real country, is it? It's like a French protectorate I think. Who cares what they do?

20. Asian Sensation

What’s wrong with good ole Heinz 57?