1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 9, 2018.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I did. still waiting on your research for your claims.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

An eye for an eye... but in this case, a whole group, including children is automatically assumed as worthy of being treated inhumanly. If we are to behave this way, we should no longer outlaw revenge and actually encourage it. Revenge could be use a a deterrent of future crimes. But we know what that led to. An endless cycle of hate and violence, often toward innocents people.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get how you people are able to fall for this anecdotal "one immigrant was bad, therefore all immigrants are bad" logical slight-of-hand.

I saw a news story the other day about 2 air force officers convicted of selling drugs. Using your immigrant logic, the appropriate action would be to fire the entire military and shut down all the armed forces.

As with all people, most of them are OK, a few are great and a few are terrible. in America we judge people on their own merits.

To be that illogical requires you to willfully ignore logic, right? Or are you all really that dense unless someone explains it to you?

Deckard and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. tallanvor

one illegal immigrant. Not immigrant. That word has meaning.

Also nobody says they are all bad, but you keep slaying those strawmen.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO dear god lol

7. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Apparently a lot more for you, if you believe that one word makes collective punishment defensable...

I should also point out that an illegal immigrant is a subset of immigrant, so your statement excluding illegal immigrants from being immigrants is factually incorrect. Legal immigrants and illegal immigrants are both types of immigrant. That isn't particularly up for debate, unless "the sky is blue" is now a good D&D topic which, given the recient hysteria, it may soon be.

BTW, I'm all for not allowing murderers into the country be they legal or illegal immigrants. Are you telling me you are in favor of letting in legal immigrant murderers?

#867 Ottomaton, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  8. tallanvor

i don't and never said otherwise, but again you keep knocking down those strawmen.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Very interesting data. The overall denied rate is ~50-60% over the past few years. Denial is dependent on representation. Denial is also very dependent on nationality. And the biggest and craziest issue... the article point to a serious issue (see below). With such a wide range and issues, I don't know how anyone can make any good conclusion on why denied or granted.

http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/490/

The outcome for asylum seekers continues to depend on the identity of the immigration judge assigned to hear the case. If you, for example, were one of the 6,922 asylum seekers whose cases were decided in the San Francisco Immigration Court over the last six years, the odds of denial varied from only 9.4 percent all the way up to 97.1 percent depending upon the judge you had. For the 1,233 individuals whose cases were heard by the Newark Immigration Court, the odds of denial ranged between 10.9 percent all the way up to 98.7 percent depending upon the judge you appeared before. Stated another way, the odds of being granted asylum could be as high as 90 percent or as low as 3 percent in these two courts depending upon which immigration judge you were assigned.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

We can’t prevent crime and murder by US citizens, but we could prevent crime and murder by people who do not have the moral or legal right to be here in the first place.

When an illegal alien commits a crime, it’s doubly tragic and frustrating because they should not even be here. Innocent blood is on the hands of the Pelosis, the Schumers, the Ryans, the Obamas, and anyone who attempts to make it easier for them to remain here, to come here in droves.

They don’t have the right. They were not invited. Americans were never asked.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Amiga likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm trying to understand then, what the point of trotting out these murdered people is. That seems to be the tacit statement - an illegal immigrant once murdered someone, therefore all illegal immigrants are bad and should be considered murderers.

Maybe I just don't get it. Can you ELI5 it for me? Why did they showcase these people?

BTW, accusing everybody of building up strawmen to "get" you is, ironically, a strawman itself.

13. NewRoxFan

Odd, I don't think you will find too many Americans that were asked if trump's grandparents should come into the country. Or Rubio's Or the flotus for that matter, no matter how spicy her pictures were.

And do you know what I find doubly tragic... people, specially school children, that die due to gun violence. Maybe we should do something about that?

14. tallanvor

To show that lots (but not all) of illegal immigrants are dangerous (thus why they don't go through the legal process) and therefore its important to lock up the border.

why is 'get' in quotes? i never said you were trying to 'get' me. I said you are arguing against positions nobody holds like all immigrants are bad because one is bad. nobody hates immigrants.

15. NewRoxFan

"Lots"? When studies consistently show the immigrant community, including undocumented, have lower crime rate than the overall population? I am all in favor of reducing crime, but is separating children from parents the best way to do this?

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. NewRoxFan

meanwhile, trump throws out unsubstantiated numbers that seem pretty specious...

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

illegal aliens do not have a lower crime rate than the overall population. that's nonsense.

19. NewRoxFan

Here's one

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Illegal alien murder 5.5%

Illegal alien homicide 1.9 %

That makes them far more likely than the overall population without mentioning drug trafficking or kidnapping which is their bread and butter.