1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In one game, Martinez swung at the first pitch after the first two batters made quick outs. Porter benched him for the remainder of the game. when Porter was asked about it at the post game press conference, he told the reporters they’d have to talk to Martinez about that. JD had to get up before the press and talk about it. My main problem with this is that Altuve did the exact same thing a couple of weeks later. No repercussions. Now, perhaps Luhnow gave Porter a good talking to, but, who knows.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

3. Buck Turgidson

If I was a school like Rice, I'd try to hire Morgan Ensberg in a heartbeat.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  4. raining threes

They should just give Berkman his dream job.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bad choice.

Rice had a very established program which was successful until lately. They would be better served finding someone who is already a successful college coach who knows how to coach and recruit.

raining threes likes this.
  6. bobrek

Clyde Drexler faints

Creepy Crawl and No Worries like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Too lazy and lacks leadership qualities. I know it would be a popular hire but I just don’t think he would be a good hire. It is an attractive job to the right person. Personally I would speak to Biggio. I found Biggio to be a bit preachy when I was around him but he was/is a strong role model, worked very hard and genuinely tried to help people in his own way.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's kind of sad when the merits of hardwork can be illustrated so obviously.

Berkman - extremely naturally gifted at baseball but lazy: good but not HOF career.
    Biggio - less naturally gifted but a grinder: HOF career.

You're absolutely right in saying that Biggio is the better role model. Berkman's coaching would probably go something like Michael Jordan's coaching career.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Don't get me started.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Teoscar with another homer.

In 216 at bats so far, he's slashing 259/.309/.841, with 11hr, 31 rbi, 32r, 16 doubles, 5 triples, 3 sbs...

Having a fantastic campaign so far this year. Really liked him as an Astro, having to cut him loose just shows how deep we are. Luhnow's ability to identify and acquire talent is insane. I've been expecting a Villar-esque regression, but it hasn't come yet. Also, hindsight is 20/20, but interesting to think how Teoscar would fit with this team over Jake.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The flip side is Domingo Santana... after a superlative year last year (30 HR, .875 OPS), he's got a .674 OPS and only 3 HR in 187 ABs.

Teoscar struck me as a very streaky player, and it would have been tough to get him regular ABs. His overall line looks great, but essentially he had a great April, terrible May, and great June... basically it'd be like having another Gattis in the lineup.

awc713 likes this.
  12. The Drake

The Drake Member

msn likes this.
  13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Liriano also got an out in Game 7, so that trade was a success as far as I'm concerned.

msn and NIKEstrad like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Former Astros among mlb fwar leaders for position players:

16. JD Martinez
    33. Jed Lowrie
    71. Ben Zobrist
    92. Teoscar Hernandez

Pitchers:
    12. Mike Foltynewicz
    14. Josh Hader
    21. JA Happ
    33. Vince Velasquez
    84. Bud Norris
    101. Wade LeBlanc

I knew Folty was having a good year but didn’t know he’d been that good. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Houston make a run at Happ to replace Keuchel although Happs price is rising rapidly.

Hader was always the one prospect they’ve traded that I hated to see go.

raining threes and vince like this.
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

Absolutely not saying it wasn’t a success. It obviously was a huge plus with how things ultimately played out (BOS heart attack aside).

Pondering Teoscar vs. Jake and obtaining Liriano are not dispositive. We most likely could’ve traded Jake for Liriano and then some.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

True. I'm just not too upset with watching Teo succeed up there. Even if he were still an Astro he likely wouldn't have had the every day opportunity he is getting in Toronto.

awc713 likes this.
  17. bobrek

You really think the Astros should have traded an elite defensive outfielder slashing .259/.339/.543/.882 while also having one of the best records in baseball? No way the Astros trade Marisnick at the trade deadline last year.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Chris Burke has been working the CWS, he's on the UT/Florida game that's about to start.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gah damn the Gomez trade is still so hard to swallow. Hated it then hate it now. Hader would be so perfect. Ahhhhhh well we did get Bagwell for Larry Anderson. Such is baseball.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Trading for Gomez was part of the sequence of events that eventually led to a World Series winning roster.

Not hard to deal with at all.

bobrek likes this.