1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Rockets could aggressively pursue Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jun 6, 2018.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

you didn't answer my question. Why do you believe that PG13 is a good midrange shooter? Open looks don't really matter if you can't hit the shot.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I find it hard to believe that Westbrook cares about anyone but Westbrook. if I'm in the minority in thinking that Russ don't give two ***** about who he plays with because winning isn't priority 1 then i'll just have to accept that. Westbrook didn't complain when Harden got traded. He didn't complain when Ibaka left. He didn't gripe with KD bolted to GSW. So if George decides to leave because he has the option to why would Russ be mad? Keep in mind that in order for the Rockets to even trade for George, the best and most financially viable way is for George to opt into the last year of his deal, thereby forgoing the 10+ million he would make if he were to opt out now. Otherwise, if you're going to try and work a sign and trade for George, the Rockets will give up more meaningful assets than just Gordon..possibly PJ Tucker.

The thing about OKC is that they could have an opportunity to open huge cap space for the summer of 2019 when more attractive free agents hit the market, possibly including Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-free-agents-2019-2020/ . Why tie yourself to Gordon when you can let George walk, take Melo off the books, and "reset" for next summer? Because the team would be punting one of Russ' prime years? He's signed on until after 2023 so he's not going to go anywhere.

I mean, the possibility of Presti going full r****d and trading George to Houston is there but I will be completely floored if Presti decides to get screwed over twice by Morey in the same decade. If that happens I would call for Tillman to erect a statue of Presti outside of the Toyota Center after our championship parade, giving him the distinction of "Co Architect" of the championship team.

seeingred likes this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

[​IMG]
    "Olajuwon demonstrated superhuman abilities...abilities from some koind of advanced basketball civilization."

noppeper, smp, Joshfast and 1 other person like this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Gives Lebron more to think about.

Having to beat GS or Houston with PG will ensure Lebron probably never wins a title again. Philly w him on it ain't scaring anybody.

This is why the odds have swung in our favor. This ain't rocket science, guys. Pun intended.

Fullcourt and BMoney like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because OKC will not ever attract a big name free agent. They are not an destination city and their star doesn’t recruit.

Cash Cam likes this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

There are different type of midrange shots. Shots that you have to create off the dribble, with defenders draped all over you. Then theres WIDE open midrange shots that are created by other superstars from pick&roll, ISO or double teams. Which one are you referring too? Thanks

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The least likely scenario often becomes what the Rockets often pull of...Paul George would be a nice get, but Lebron makes a true title contender.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The odds of them attracting a player with a Max contract is better than Presti trading George to Houston

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Gordon will make 14M and will be expiring in 2020, he's not going to be a malus for them if they want to get one or two free agents next summer (likely one cause Adams and Westbrook will eat something like 65M, and tbh i don't see Kawhi, Butler or Klay going there anyway, but that's another story), they would be able to dump him easily while getting something back eventually. Meanwhile they would have a better chance to make the second round next season instead of getting their ass kicked in the first round (at best) and so have a better chance in free agency.

Presti going full r****d, like i said, i can agree with your view here, but that might also be more of a fan way of thinking, if i'm a gm and i can make my team better for the present and the future, i should probably do it even if it means making some sort of favor to someone who had the last laugh with me in another trade few years ago.

joshuaao and steddinotayto like this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

OKC got something back for Harden and Ibaka. He did gripe when KD bolted. He and KD had beef after that.

I’m only referring to PG opting in and getting traded here.

Ego would be an expiring in the summer of 2019, that’s easily moveable if they need to create more cap space so having Ego on the roster isn’t some hindrance to that plan. Also, OKC is not a free agent destination by any means, and the chance of guys like Kawhi, Klay, or any free agent of that caliber choosing them is extremely small. I’d say it’s a zero percent chance, but I guess anything is possible. OKC can’t just pass up getting a guy who can be their starting SG and average 20 ppg for them who is also on a good contract in return for losing PG. Presti is not getting screwed over in this case, he is actually getting some value back in a case where the alternative is getting nothing back while another star player leaves.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I'll say this again. Presti is smart. As long as they have Westbrook they can keep repackaging that trade chip, Victor for Paul George, paul George for my guess Ingram n or kuzma. People the best move for both okc n Paul George is l.a. it's gonna happen. Pg13 goes where he always wanted. Presti gets to rob magic for some good young talent. U get that young talent n develop it more until maybe turn those guys into Stars and presti can trade those guys once they have a year left on their contract and start the process all over again.

Hard_foul likes this.
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Since no big guy would ever willing sign there other then Westbrook u keep kicking the can hoping u can stumble upon a guy that turns into a star. N draft good. That's wha5 a small market team has to do. Make the best of what u have

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Come on y'all. All of this is just to make the Cavs think the Rockets want/can pull something off instead of getting LeBron.

#94 DM'sVP, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

No chance, Lakers don’t have to move any assets to sign PG for the max.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

this makes zero sense

LA has no reason to give up anything for Paul George when they can sign him outright with their available cap space. Presti isn’t robbing anyone.

If u could get something for free, why would u give up $50 for it? That’s basically what you’re saying LA would do.

luckyman76, DonKnock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Wrong bird rights my man okc has them. So if he wants the max it has to be a sign n trade. That why we got Chris. To super max him

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

See my other reply. Okc has bird rightz

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Huh? What does OKC having his Bird Rights have to do with LA having the cap space to give PG a max deal? The only team that can give him a 5 year max is OKC. He can’t get a 5 year deal by being traded to LA. Why would PG orchestrate a sign and trade to make the team he’s going to worse anyways?

20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

yes he can he has a opt in.