1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. jsingles

jsingles Member

I must be missing something, I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and thought Rogue One was the best since the original trilogy. I thought Solo was a bore, plot was terrible, acting was sub-par, I didn't care about a single one of the characters. I found myself almost falling asleep during the screening several times, because it was so boring. The action was almost non-existent and the introduction of Chewy was as cringe-worthy as seeing Hayden Christensen attempt to act.

Looking at the box office numbers, people are staying away.

Edit: Now that I sat here and thought about the movie, there was a fair amount of action, but it was so bland and unimportant that I simply forgot.

HeWhoIsLunchbox likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It didn't have over-the-top action, except for the black hole sequence thingy (Kessel run?) But that was fine by me.

I think its box office fizzle is a combination of burnout. Avengers-Deadpool-Solo. Solo being fairly unnecessary overall and released only six months after the underwhelming Last Jedi.

EDIT: And Ron Howard, God love him, has been box office kryptonite for a long while now. They can’t all be “Apollo 13”. And they haven’t been.

#202 ROXTXIA, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    B-Bob, jsingles and Jontro like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I enjoyed it. My second favorite Disney SW film behind Rogue One.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Good movie, sad that it's not a good box office

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'd 'Like' this post 3 times if I could. It happens to match my outlook. Comic & sci-fi fans notoriously are over-critical. But, something more is going on - in fandom and in general society - making people go extreme in beliefs. Its like the world is less "Hangouts", and more "D & D" here x 5 (and infested into SW fandom)

Somehow Star Wars got considered to being an institute of high-brow, avant-garde, artisan & technical "sophistication", the high point of filmography itself. Okay its made sh** tons of money, but its forgetting its just neat action MOVIES with some cool TOYS, and expectations should stay in line with that lol.

(And history is ignoring those 80's spinoffs. Imagine those TODAY, my GOSH)

B-Bob and mikol13 like this.
  6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes, I find it odd how that same EVIL master corp Darth Disney that runs SW is also running that favorable Marvel franchise. Buts its different feelings on each one?

Volume of work has little to no effect on Marvel acceptance. Besides source material & production teams, the main difference is the FAN base. (I feel fans are showing true hidden attachment to those "Ugh, Skywalkers" lol)

The main impact elements of TLJ is the handling of Skywalkers. It isnt "bombs & space" physics, & "Rey's parents" like claimed. Give Skywalkers good treatment, its probabably like any silly SW movie where you mock the flaws. Take them out or mishandle them, and it takes the heart out and sh** gets "real".

#206 Shroopy2, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You must of not saw Clone Wars. Maul never had a chance to get his position back. And everyone knew Anakin was The Chosen One. Makes sense that The Emperor would always want to keep Vader and wanting to replace him with Luke.

Yung-T, B-Bob and mikol13 like this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

Damn. Sideous leaves him for dead, kills his brother, kicks his ass, and then expects him to serve. No wonder Darth Maul is so mad all the time.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Nero

Nero Member

You know, there's something people are not factoring into all this.

Movie tickets are expensive. You're talking around $12 a pop nowadays. And this year, it's been one 'tentpole must-see' release after another.

It's not so much that people are deciding they hate certain movies - heck, how do you hate a movie you haven't seen? - BUT, I have heard more than one person say things along the lines of 'I had to decide what to watch - Deadpool or Solo? I picked Deadpool since it came out first.'

If you have a family, let's say two teenagers.. and you all enjoy going out to see movies.. you're talking a $50 night out JUST FOR TICKETS. That doesn't count eating out, or concessions, etc.

Now let's throw the film-going families one big blockbuster after another in about a 6 week period.

I'm sure there are some families who can easily fit about $300 per month into their budget for 'entertainment'. But there are a heck of a lot of them who cannot. People have to be judicious in their spending. So, you want to see Avengers? Ok, but we probably won't also be able to see Solo, we'll have to wait for that one to hit Netflix or Redbox. Heck, I am to the point now where I will wait for Tuesday after a release ($5/ticket at Cinemark ) because the drain on the budget is just not worth it. With so many ways to get entertainment so much cheaper now, I don't necessarily think ticket sales is a particularly good way to judge the quality of a film.

Having said all that, I waited to see Solo until $5 night, and I enjoyed far more than the expectations I had based upon all of the doom and gloom and dire predictions about the film. It was fine. The performances were fine. But I can certainly get that it was not a 'necessary' film. And a 'Boba Fett' movie will be more of the same. The 'Star Wars' saga has been off the rails since the last closing credits of ESB.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

As a vocal Last Jedi hater, I think it's great that Solo isn't doing well. Maybe it will force Disney to realize they actually need to make good movies instead of just churning out garbage and cashing the checks.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Disney has already stated they have Star Wars movies planned through 2030.

This ain’t changing.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They'll just give it to Marvel studios.

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The "plan" is predicated on the assumption that it will continue to be profitable. If they lose a lot of money on Solo, you bet they'll take notice.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hopefully. Disney has somehow managed to make Star Wars boring. A true feat.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A lot of tactical mistakes were made in the release of this movie.

For one I don't understand why they changed their successful December release model, and went not only summer, but immediately on the heels of Deadpool and Infinity War. Can't build hype with those 2 hype suckers coming out.

Second, recasting an established and beloved character was a bad idea in the first place .Rogue One was completely isolated, so they had a blank slate with the characters. I don't remember some massive groundswell for a Han Solo origin story in the first place.

And lastly, yes Star Wars fatigue is a thing. We usually have years in between releases so appetites have time to grow, this one had 6 months. The movie itself wasn't bad at all. If this were the MCU, I would judge this as another entertaining, if unspectacular entry, but it isn't.

After episode 9 comes out they really need to take a break, and move away from the Skywalker saga. I still want Star Wars movies, but this story is told. We need something fresh. To go from billions every movie to a loss has to make them reconsider everything they are doing, this isn't just a small hiccup, and as I said, the movie wasn't bad either.

17. Nero

Nero Member

It's not going to lose money. It's already made back its production budget, and it will easily recoup its marketing budget in video sales.

It's just not going to make as MUCH money as they were hoping, but it will still turn out to be quite profitable in the end.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think I’ll watch it eventually, but I’d rather watch Deadpool first. Word of mouth and choice are helluva things.

I think it would’ve done better if it was dumped right after Han died. Need to maximize the cash grabbyness, Diz.

If they are smart, they better stop thinking of the long con and deliver a great third movie that meets what people expect out of a trilogy. No quadrilogy or loopholes for 2020+. They need to get that people are already watching the loopholes, and all that’s holding it together are the vibes from the main product and the Lucas originals.

#218 Invisible Fan, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What numbers are you going by to claim this. It is almost certainly the most expensive SW movie ever made and no production budget was officially released. If the original budget was 200 million, and Howard reshot 80% of it, and those Super Bowl commercials weren't free, it will be tough times. Already widely reported to being a money loser so curious why you think it will turn a profit.

20. Nero

Nero Member

I don't remember where I saw, but the number I saw was @ 250mil, and it's already made 270 . Even if it was a 300mil budget, it will still be a money maker in the end. Ticket sales are not everything. But it's splitting hairs, without question it is not going to make as much as they had hoped.

If this causes them to take a step back and put a little more thought into the scripts, that's a good thing.