1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prepare for an insane off season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, May 28, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Well I'm saving money which is one good thing. But truth is I don't mind spending my money but I won't give away my money on something that claims to be open and fair competition but is not. That's snake oil salesman **** and I don't play that.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is playing starter's minutes, everything else is just superficial and trivial. He'll do what he got to do.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

How does two team over the cap do a S&T under the new CBA?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I might be with ya... but my 8 year old is a diehard!!

I feel bad for him, lol.

Though being 8... he also gets over it quicker. And will be back to NBA2K18 as soon as possible. He likes to play with the Warriors on that anyway.

ipaman likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sorry but clearly you must disown your son.

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Fantastic to see you posting. Hope you’re well.

Personally I attach two number ones if that is what it takes to unload Anderson. I don’t want any kind of cap hit whether it’s the two years left on his contract or a longer cheaper hit from the stretch provision.

#126 mikol13, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    chievous minniefield and saleem like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Using the stretch provision on Ryan makes sense. Cutting his salary from 20 M to 8 M would be amazing. I like Gordon, but moving him plus a lottery
    pick for cap space has become necessary. That would give the Rockets around 25 M.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Thanks.

There will be a cost to get rid of Anderson's deal. What you're willing to do depends on the player that it enables you to acquire.

Personally, I don't see Lebron coming here. I just don't think that his ego would allow him to. Who knows though. If they looked really bad in the Finals then maybe he gets desperate for a better chance at a ring. The consecutive NBA Finals appearances are nice but I'd have to think that he's closing in on the most NBA Finals losses too.

PG13 would be nice too but it would have to be a trade and I just don't see OKC being inclined to make that happen and we really don't have expendable assets that would make it worth their while.

If stretching Anderson got you one of those guys then you do it every day of the week. If it's just for a nice rotational guy then you likely don't do it.

9. aroundtheblock2

Um Paul George can opt out and become a free agent....meaning it's possible to sign him outright if you get rid of Anderson somehow.

10. jacoby

jacoby Member

We can't afford him even if we lose Ryan.

11. aelliott

Um, how are you going to create that kind of cap space with Chris Paul and Capela's cap holds? Those count against your cap until they are resigned.

mikol13 likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know, just like the Rockets did with the Clippers for Paul?

13. aelliott

Depends on what you can get with the money. The downside of using stretch provision is that it effects your cap for 5 years.
    If it got us Lebron then no problem. PG13 probably. Who else is worth that?

AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.
  14. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Thanks for the info! Love insights. I assume that Eric is open to moving because he believes (rightly) that he is a starting SG and will make a lot more money as a starter on his next contract when his numbers go up bc of starting.

15. BeardedWonder

BeardedWonder Member

Possibility we miss out on big fish FA, possible trades waiting on LJ to decide. If so do our FA wait or sign elsewhere? Either way this team will not look the same.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are u including the cap holds for CP3 and Capela? CP3’s cap hold in particular is enormous.

17. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

You got any inside info which way he's leaning?

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Eric Gordon brings a lot to the team. I like his role. I wouldn't move him unless his role can be replaced.

Likely any possible way of getting LeBron would be moving EG so clearly I am fine with that.

I am looking forward to Ryan Anderson being moved off this roster.

AroundTheWorld and mikol13 like this.
  19. jacoby

jacoby Member

Not really the case. LeBron's opt-in deadline is June 29th, which is 72 hours before Free Agency begins. Considering we have to operate over the cap to acquire him, he would have to forego free agency and agree to an opt-in and trade before or on the 29th. This is complicated for a number of reasons.

1) Ryan Anderson needs to move before any LBJ deal is made. I doubt the Rockets would trade Ryan for a bunch of assets if they didn't have confirmation or strong confidence that LBJ was headed this way. If he weren't coming, Houston would prefer to keep Ryan until the deadline and hang onto the picks they'd be forced to trade in hopes that another team is willing to trade us an asset to improve.

2) Cleveland is facing the repeater's tax, so it's unlikely they would be willing to make a deal that A) loses the best player of all time and B) takes back additional salary and no young players in return. A possible third team would have to get involved for Eric Gordon.

3) LeBron, the Rockets, the Cavaliers, and another possible team would have 2 to 3 weeks to get this deal done by the time the Cavaliers are eliminated in the Finals by the Warriors. This leaves an incredibly narrow window for Daryl Morey to clear Ryan Anderson's contract and still gauge how many picks/assets he's willing to attach to take on the contract without jeopardizing Cleveland's potential interest in making a deal afterwards. With LeBron in the Finals right now, he's obviously not committing to any team.

4) As I mentioned before, LeBron would have to waive his free agency rights to get a deal done, which means that if he wants to become a Rocket, he wouldn't even be able to talk to Philly, LA, SA or any other team. That's not an easy decision for him to make, but it's the only way he can get a potential deal done with Houston.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. The LeBron opt-in date of June 29th is crucial. So the Rockets should know before FA if they are getting something done there or not.

saleem likes this.