1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prepare for an insane off season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, May 28, 2018.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey found a way to unload Brewer’s contract so I can only hope he can do the same with Anderson’s. He has turned out to be 10x worse than I could have ever imagined, and I already had hated the signing at the time it occurred.

Gordon pulled it together at the end of this series, so I’d like to keep him if possible.

Paul is the biggest question. While his talent would normally make resigning him at any value a no-brainer, his inability to stay healthy means we’re always at risk of losing one of our two most important players. Can the Rockets afford that when our other top player doesn’t have the motor to make it through a full game or series without wearing down? On the other hand, can we actually afford anyone that’s better?

Cappela is the 2nd biggest question. He’s going to get some big offers, which he has certainly earned. But given his limitations, can the Rockets afford to spend that much on someone who can’t really win games himself and when there are clearly too many holes left in the team.

I’m hoping the Rockets can find a more traditional PF to add to the roster. Someone who can be a second (or third, depending on your view of Tucker’s ability on the boards) reliable rebounder and an athletic defender/finisher.

In the end, there was simply too much cap money sitting on the bench during the GS series. That has to change next year, which means anyone who’s getting more than the minimum but didn’t play consistent minutes must go.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we are 100% maxing paul and capela. doesn't matter if there are better moves out there. paul took less money to come here and the rockets will make him right for that. that was definitely part of the deal. clint was one of the reasons we were such a good defensive team, which is how we almost won the championship.

ariza will 100% be back for his relationships with the star players. he might get a similar deal as tucker. it might be less than he could get elsewhere but why would he want to leave. gordon isn't getting traded he is a perfect fit and paid well below market value. same for tucker.

with all the spending we will have to give up a pick(s) to get rid of ryno. my bet is the kings. he's from there and they offered him the same contract we did, he just chose to come here instead. they have his exact cap hit in cap space this summer. his money will go to clint, but CP3 and aria's raises will hurt.

if tillman really wants to go all in, spend the MLE on a 7th man. boy did we need one this series. and buy a pick for cash. we will need cheep talent with this expensive team... and young athletes for this aging team. a PG would be great for paul to mentor. at this point we can only offer vet min deals, so its possible we lose green. someone will offer him the LLE at least, if not half the MLE. luc and joe will probably stay for the vet min again. we will have 2 roster spots left for vet minimum ring chasers or undrafted rookies...either can be non guaranteed so they can be cut during buyout season.

leaves us with a roster of:

clint - nene - black
    tucker - luc - qi
    ariza - MLE - joe
    harden - ego - undrafted rookie (non guaranteed)
    paul - draft pick - vet minimum

for the MLE i would target tyreke evans, will barton, kyle anderson (although i'm sure the spurs will match), thad young (he probably gets more to stay in indy), wilson chandler, rudy gay, ersan illyasova, danny green.

then you just gotta hope you're healthy.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You can't just say Gordon wants out and then offer nothing else on it....

4. illwil29

illwil29 Member

I think we may lose Capella and wind up with DJ. I like Capella but it’s the nature of the business

5. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post smoothie but that lineup ain’t gonna cut it but it’s reality :(

6. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

That wouldn’t be all that bad if
    he’s cheaper

7. s3ts

s3ts Member

Ryno is gone, but will require sweetners to allow it to happen.

Ryno is like a pound of sriracha sauce. It hurt going in, and it def gon' hurt going out.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Scola was cut using the league's one time only Amnesty provision. The option of using the strech provision for Anderson's contract is still there. It just means there would be dead cap money without Anderson on the team for four years instead of having him on the team for two.

jevjnd likes this.
  9. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Worst contract ever. The kind of contract that can keep a team in mediocre purgatory.

I really hope we can creatively find a way to cut ties with him. Zero upside to keeping him.

10. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

With what cap space? Houston can go over the cap to re-sign Capela.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets can stretch Anderson’s contract if they need to. I think they will try hard to deal him and my understanding is he isn’t adverse to moving on.

If the Rockets decide to stretch him his cap hit goes from 20 million next year to 8 million.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

We should try to free up enough to trade for Demarcus Cousins. He would be a perfect fit here

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Nets have Deron Williams taking up cap space for two more offseasons FYI. The stretch provision is a risky proposition if you got a better chance in free agency in a year or two versus the immediate summer.

But look, as I mentioned in the other thread just now, its all circumstantial with Ryno. You gotta tell me what they are getting before I tell you whats worth paying to move Ryno.

Q Rockets fans need to ask themselves with Ryno... If you are dreaming up these scenarios just because you can't stand the SOB and think he's a garbage player, stop. You should just ask the team to bench him and stay home instead of doing something premature that will hurt the team more in the longrun.

Nobody is ready to see Ryno in another uniform sitting the bench more than I am FYI, but I hope Morey is more rational about what to with him than the fans are. I totally get the sentiment though. The guy is hot garbage, but his contract is worse than he will ever be as a player, but it will get worse if we have to feel the affects of it longer than necessary by stretching him for no reason for however many years, or seeing another team snag good talent late in the first round with our draft picks that we gave up to get nothing.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think if healthy it would. if we had CP3 we win tonight. even without him, if we added one of those MLE targets to play instead of green/joe/ryno i think we win.

Rox Addict likes this.
  15. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

You don’t think Tilman says “fk it” and goes over the luxury tax to win?

16. MyLateRegistration

Rockets rather he play elsewhere.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Explain yourself about Gordon, @Nook . I've literally never heard that rumor anywhere.

mockster likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Tillman mentions money ALOT during interviews even in a joking manner that I think has a bit of serious undertones to it. I think he's going to take a few years where he isn't watching every penny until he can trust Morey & Tad to keep him in the black.

So no, I don't see Tillman being the type of owner to sign off on deep luxury tax at this stage. I think he's going to want to know all his options and want a say so in the financial directions they take with player transactions.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i hope so!

we will be there next season for sure. we know we're maxing CP3 and capela for better or worse. we know we're keeping ariza probably with a small raise. its too late on the east coast to look it up but i think that puts us over the LT.

adding a player with the MLE will be going over the top, but we will need it!

Rox Addict likes this.
  20. igotwhipscollectingdust

Lebron and CP3 will accept team-friendly deals.