1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starbucks closing stores after 2 black men arrested

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

No, you probably missed the non-story of how a loiter vacated the premises when the authorities asked them to leave instead of staying around and arguing with the police.

Sure, the two gentlemen got an 'ah-ha' against the Starbucks store manager, but they did it at the expense of antagonizing the authorities. What do you think would happen if we all started resisting the authorities? Ah wait, we already know. They become more militant and hostile.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Which question is left hanging? Is it why aren't the police in trouble? If so, the police apparently did nothing wrong. I don't believe I ever said they did. There is, however, a problem with two guys being detained for 8 hours for a misdemeanor citation situation.

I have focused on you saying that there is nothing wrong with race being a factor in this. Personally, I think if it was racially motivated on the part of the manager, that is wrong. You have stated you have no doubt race played a factor in the manager calling the police and there is no problem with that. There is.

Not sure what **** I talked.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hey old man

I have restated I said it doesn't matter.. Not it's okay or whatever. Take your meds.

It doesn't matter because apparently the police were right in the arrest

We don't know what is in the clerk's head. So it doesn't matter talking about it

We do know he was in the right to call police because the police apparently made a justifiable arrest

Step by step

You talked **** when you talked about me jumping on your memory

I have more to memorize cause you ask more obsessive questions so I can be forgiven for one forget

4. bobrek

Did I answer the question you claimed I didn’t answer? You said I was avoiding answering it. Therefore, I answered the question I thought you might be talking about. You can get back to me at your convenience. I don’t have to worry about going to work so I am able to answer most any time. I can go to sleep when I want and wake up when I want without worrying about going anywhere. Generally I have a training session at 11:00 AM so I may not be able to answer between 10:45 and 12:30. I tend to go for a run in the late afternoon.

Today, I’ll be watching the Astros since I am retired. Also working on some stuff for our annual church gala, so I may be a bit more inconsistent than usual. Just got back from Las Vegas, so we won’t be traveling again until May. Florida with the grandkids. Looking forward to that one. Then, no travel until mid June. Going to Texas for a couple of family reunions. Mixed in is a lot of golf and other activities. Back to Los Angeles in August for a charitable trip. Then nothing until late September. Paris for the Ryder Cup. My wife will be heading to LA for one of Ellen’s 12 Days of Giveaways shows. I hope to go with her, but I may be watching 5 of the grandkids by myself. Then nothing until Maui in January.

It’s hell getting old.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They neither antagonized nor resisted the authorities. Ignorant. Funny that it took a store full of cops to handle this.

JayGoogle and justtxyank like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I believe they argued their side of the situation (which they should be allowed and expected to do), but the whole reason they were arrested is because they resisted the request of the police to leave.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's important to point out that no one other than the 2 men themselves wanted this to end in an arrest. The cops did their best to just get them to leave on their own so that they wouldn't have to arrest them by those 2 guys were just douchebags, so that's how it goes.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Your consistent under-informed character/value judgments against the perps in all these scenarios are just as stupid and tiresome as the kneejerk racism screeching from liberals.

I'm not sure if it was justified to call the cops on these guys. Maybe the manager was having a bad day, maybe these guys were acting like degenerates, maybe the manager is actually is a racist whose trigger was a little quicker for these fellows because of their skin color, maybe these guys are race-baiting attention whores. I don't know.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you are the one that is "under-informed", if you knew more, you'd understand why I said what I did and that it is 100% accurate.

The reason the manager asked them to leave was because they asked to use the restroom and were told about the rule about it being for customers only and they still refused to become customers, at that point they had drawn attention to themselves as people who had no intention of becoming customers and that's when they were asked to leave, it had absolutely nothing to do with race. At all. Like, not even a little bit. After they refused to leave and were disrespectful to the manager, she called the cops who then told them they needed to leave and they were disrespectful to the cops who still gave them multiple opportunities to leave on their own....but they were douchebags so they refused every opportunity to where the cops were forced to arrest them.

If these 2 guys weren't complete pieces of ****, there would have been no problem.....but feel free to ignorantly jump to the defense of these assholes simply because of the color of their skin.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The only way to become heroes within their community was to force an arrest. These guys are sharp. Leaving the establishment would have just been business as usual but they saw an opportunity and seized it.

11. bobrek

So...Philadelphia police department will be looking into changing their policies. Police chief apologized as they were unaware of Starbucks allowing folks to linger without purchasing anything.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/19/us/starbucks-arrests-police-commissioner-apology/index.html

"Ross said he was not aware that Starbucks allows people to sit in stores without making a purchase.
    "I can appreciate, in light of the Starbucks policy and how well known it is to many, why these two men were appalled when asked to leave and for this reason, me, I apologize to them,"

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. CometsWin

A matter of semantics. They were asked to leave and they said no. They were arrested without any resistance whatsoever.

Facts of the case are pretty clear. People often use Starbucks as a meeting place or as somewhere to use their Wifi without purchasing anything. They were targeted (for some odd reason) to leave the store despite the fact people who exhibit the same behavior are always welcome at Starbucks. The CEO of Starbucks himself has apologized and will shut down all of his stores for re-training. That's about it.

The only people in this thread upset about this whole episode are the ones who constantly use willful ignorance to avoid the reality of what happens in this country with regularity.

#252 CometsWin, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  13. CometsWin

Those sneaky blacks, tricking the police into arresting them. Damn those sneaky blacks.

superfob likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

For those playing along at home, I've highlighted every instance here where Bobby has made an assumption with limited facts, an assertion with no supporting evidence, or attributed intent or motive where none can be known presently.

Rashmon and CometsWin like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah well I'm thinking about a Galveston trip sometime in the next year or so.

bobrek likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The facts of this case are that some non-paying patrons were asked to leave a business. That's really the only relevant facts we have ATM.

This whole episode is like an ink blot test for racial hypersensitivity.

Do you see a protest-worthy episode of racial injustice? Congrats, you're biased.

Do you see "2 complete pieces of s*** being douchebags"? Congrats, you're also biased.

What a match made in hell.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not true, when I stated the reason the manager asked them to leave it was based on what she said, again I know we have a lot of misogynists here, but I prefer to believe women....especially when they are talking about the reason they did things.

The second thing you highlighted is just an extension of the first thing, you feel like you can't believe women when they tell their stories, I do.

The 3rd and 4th thing are well documented facts, perhaps you just don't know enough to know that.

The final 2 statements are facts based on their actions and how they handle themselves in public. They clearly are "pieces of ****" or "douchebags".

Clearly the problem here is that you don't know enough about the situation, but you feel a need to play white knight based on the color of the 2 men's skin.

18. CometsWin

We have a lot more facts than that. The police chief apologized and is formulating a new policy to handle similar situations and the CEO apologized and is closing all his stores for re-training. Facts.

Apparently you didn't read the article I posted that showed racial disparities in this area. Facts are biased.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/us/starbucks-arrest-philadelphia.html

#258 CometsWin, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not so sure they would be considered heros. And I doubt the community gives a ****. Further, they now have an arrest record. Stupid.

There are two distinct incidents. The first being the interaction between the employees and loiters. The second was between the authorities and the loiters.

We have little facts about the first interaction. We do not know if the loiters were rude to employees. We do not know if the employee has a racial tendency. We do not know how tolerant the store is towards loiters. We can reasonably assume locked bathroom doors (a common practice with Starbucks) is an indicator loiters are not welcome.

The second interaction tells much. We hear the guys complain about discrimination. We see the guys resisting the officers peaceful request to leave the store. There was no aggression from the officers. They were given ample time to leave the premises. We also know the officers can't forcefully throw them out. If an officer touches a person in an unwelcoming manner, its almost always going to lead to jail. The two loiters were clearly in the wrong in this situation. The loiters should have left the store and had the conversation with the officers at this point.

What we can also safely assume is that a fair amount of patrons of this store are blacks. They come to this store w/out incident. Enough to show there is not a racial bias. We also know Starbucks corporate does not tolerate racism.

We also know the Chief of Police also stated his officers did nothing wrong and they handled the incident properly. Regardless if the case was dropped by the DA (which is reasonable), this has nothing to do with the police action towards the loiters.

The shame in this is the two individual pulling the race card is pissing all over the history of the black community who truly suffered through racial prejudice.

Astrodome likes this.
  20. CometsWin

LOL :cool: