1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Daryl Morey, a game is agony until it is over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Daryl Morey cannot watch meaningful games in person anymore. He slinks away before tipoff to search for peace that he rarely finds.

At Toyota Center, he leaves the game, heads out through the tunnel, goes up a flight of stairs, weaves around metal detectors, opens a pair of double doors, walks down a ramp and reaches the practice court.

He crosses the baseline and enters a small weight room, where two televisions above the doorway broadcast the game.

The Rockets' general manager needs to escape one cauldron, so he can stew alone in another. His sense of control goes out the window once the ball goes up.

RELATED: Looking ahead to Rockets vs. Timberwolves

"It's a peaceful spot for me," Morey said. "It keeps me from doing something stupid."

It is a sanctuary in the same way that a prison is. Morey can get away from others, but he locks himself up with anxiety. Inside the weight room, the jovial, self-effacing, celebrity GM that usually charms with wiseacre humor and the engaging insight to back it up, can conceal his transformation to Mr. Hyde.

He contorts and cusses, thrashes and sweats, watches and wilts.

'I don't think I'm going to enjoy the playoffs this year' – Daryl Morey

He keeps the sound of the televisions off. Last year, when the Spurs eliminated the Rockets from the postseason with a 39-point trouncing in Houston, Morey could not hear the home crowd boo the most humiliating defeat in franchise history. He did not need to. He drummed up enough ire on his own.

"I just ..." Morey said, searching for words, "I have a tough time."

While reliving the memory of a game, Morey squeezed and smeared the right side of his face, and then wiped his hand on his slacks.

He cannot wrench away the agony. Not after overseeing more than nearly 1,000 Rockets games without an appearance in the NBA Finals.

Now entering the postseason with the most talented team he has ever assembled, he will have to endure at least 16 high-stakes games, but likely more, for the Rockets to win the title.

They start against the Timberwolves on Sunday. Morey expects to need a lot of alone time.

"I don't think I'm going to enjoy the playoffs this year," he said.

[​IMG]
    You won't find Rockets general manager Daryl Morey in the stands during the upcoming playoffs. He favors a quieter space to experience those tension-filled contests. (James Nielsen | Houston Chronicle)
    'You either have pain or relief from pain'

Seeing Morey yuk it up in the seats used to be common. His seclusion has become increasingly habitual in 11 seasons of running the Rockets.

He hid from every playoff game at home and most on the road in 2017.

In 2015, he did not witness the miracle of Josh Smith raining 3s to mount a comeback win over the Clippers in Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals. Instead, Morey circled the block on foot around the Staples Center and followed the game on his phone.

The Rockets won a franchise record 65 games this season, but Morey no longer experiences the joy of winning so often.

"I wish there was more of that," he said. "A head coach one time described it best: you either have pain or relief from pain. Those are the two states. It's depressing but true."

Each misplay is another paper cut. Deficits eat away at Morey to the bone. Even when victory is likely, indubitable odds give him the shakes. Twenty-point leads – the Rockets led the NBA with 32 of them – still leave a small probability for a collapse. He is not freed until time expires.

"I have the most trouble watching when we're up 20 in the fourth quarter," he said. "At that point, the result that you want is there. It's just, like, moments away. That's when it's hardest for me.

"The only thing that can happen at that point is something not good. That is how I feel. But I'm crazy, so it's fine."

Morey suggested that most executives toil like him, but only Jerry West, who cannot handle watching games, offers a comparison as severe.

"That's unusual for the profession," said Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace, who worked with Morey for three seasons with the Celtics. "Daryl's a little more to the extreme than I am."

[​IMG]
    After years of turning over the Rockets' roster, Daryl Morey found his franchise cornerstone with the acquisition of James Harden before the 2012-13 season. (Melissa Phillip | Houston Chronicle)
    Game-changing role

It would seem that Morey has plenty to celebrate. He had been so unknown as a Celtics analyst that media outlets had to publish his Facebook profile photo in stories about the Rockets hiring him.

Since then, Houston has won the second-most games and Morey has become the face of a basketball movement.

"Daryl was at the forefront of the league's universal adoption of analytics," said Golden State Warriors general manager Bob Myers. "He also has been a leader in challenging the norm, as far as trade policies and rules. His aggressive approach has become a very successful style."

Before the NBA set records for 3-pointers in seven consecutive seasons, Morey proclaimed the value of shooting them early and often.

"It's now a staple," Wallace said. "He's also as good a big game hunter there's been in the NBA."

Morey turned over the roster like a conveyor belt until he scooped up James Harden, attracted Chris Paul and loaded up on versatile role players.

Along the way, Morey grew the Sloan Conference from "a couple of classrooms at MIT," Wallace said, "to now it's the sports analytics Woodstock."

In a position that typically neuters personality, Morey has increased the specter of his celebrity but remained approachable.

"His sense of humor makes him easily one of my favorite GM's to interact with," said Dallas Mavericks general manager Donnie Nelson.

'Pain is all there is to tell me I'm still here' – From 'Small Ball' the musical

Esteem is easier to get when you build a title contender. Morey does not view himself as a luminary. He always has preferred being a disruptor.

2. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

He still brings up his old nickname, which he received as a doubted, baby-faced wonk. It equated him with a chess-playing computer program.

"Deep Blue," Morey said, with a vengeful chuckle.

He said he still senses that "basketball people" think he is a gadfly that does not belong, hears that the rise and fall of the Dwight Howard era debunked his approach, and gets as much criticism as praise for the data-driven direction he has taken the Rockets.

"As many people that are rooting for it, there's a lot of people rooting against it," he said. "They just think we're trying to take the heart out of the game or whatever."

He dislikes the stereotype that he bases every decision on "a spreadsheet," but he comfortably admits that he prioritized talent far above chemistry because the roster rarely had been good enough to focus on improving an intangible quality.

"They're right," he said, "when we're not a great team, we're not going to care as much about chemistry. That's not as important. But when we're a great team – like hopefully we are now – we're going to spend a lot of time worrying about how that guy could impact the locker room."

[​IMG]
    Veteran point guard and likely Hall of Famer Chris Paul was the centerpiece addition of the Rockets' offseason makeover. (Karen Warren | Houston Chronicle)
    Will offseason moves be enough?

Morey did not have to watch Harden miss nine of 11 shots in person to understand what more was needed after the Game 6 embarrassment last year.

"If you think about it, we're all going to have very long careers," Morey said of his responsibility to Harden. "He only has this very little window where he's the best player in the league.

"We were putting too much on his shoulders. Even if we win that round, we're almost for sure not winning the next round. We didn't have the weapons to beat Golden State. Game 6 or not, we were going to have to update the team."

Morey finally had the luxury to improve both talent and chemistry last summer. He credits Harden and coach Mike D'Antoni for landing Paul, and the three of them for recruiting 3-and-D veterans P.J. Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute.

Tucker immediately recognized the roster's versatility: "That was the beauty of it."

With two Hall-of-Fame-caliber playmakers and lineups that could switch interchangeably on defense to guard various opponents, Houston wielded the NBA's most useful Swiss Army knife.

"They were a great offensive team last year, I don't think that's changed," Thunder coach Billy Donovan said. "But they've gotten substantially better on defense. Getting Mbah a Moute and Tucker were a large part of that."

"This is special," Tucker said. "Our goal was to win 60, 65 games, get No. 1. We said that. Now that it's happening, it's something we wanna keep pushing."

'You're ripping the heart from this beautiful game' – From 'Small Ball'

Unfortunately for the Rockets, the math does not favor them or any team pitted against the defending champion Warriors, who Morey said should have won the past three consecutive titles.

They, more than the Rockets, are the manifestation of Morey's model. He concedes that four elite Warriors should be favored over the depth on the Rockets.

Morey assumes that Warriors guard Stephen Curry will return from a Grade 2 MCL sprain of his left knee in time for the late rounds of the playoffs.

Mbah a Moute will miss the first round because of a dislocated shoulder.

Morey still said he is "more confident now than at any other part of the year" about matching up with the Warriors.

The Rockets won the season series, averaged the league's highest point differential and gained an "8 to 15 percent" edge, according to Morey, because of home-court advantage.

"He said repeatedly the last couple of years that every waking moment was about finding a way to beat Golden State," Wallace said. "We'll see where that goes in the playoffs, but it seems to me that he's clearly closed the gap."

Wallace admires and sympathizes with Morey.

"Your public persona is these wins and losses," Wallace said. "That's why the games can be nerve-racking. They define you."

Daryl Morey's musical “Small Ball,” starring Julia Krohn and Orlanders Jones, is playing at the Catastrophic Theatre through May 13 and may offer the deepest insight into the Rockets' general manager.
    (Anthony Rathbun | Houston Chronicle)

Musical offers insight

The critics are never far from Morey's mind. He fretted about one a night after his basketball-inspired musical "Small Ball" premiered.

"I can't tell if he likes it," Morey said. "Theater people who know him say, 'That's his way.' I respect it. He doesn't want to be limited by what he says."

Morey hoped the theater critic would write a favorable first review that would influence others.

"If he writes something bad," Morey said, "it could create a different trajectory."

RELATED: "Small Ball" review

It is clear how math has shaped Morey's worldview. Numbers are definitive. They are unemotional. They serve sports well.

But "Small Ball" — which Catastrophic Theatre is running through May 13, just before the conference finals begin – offers the deepest insight into Morey. The characters search for a place to call home. They thrive but are not accepted. They include a "Director of Analytics."

"Your cold calculations," a traditionalist coach sings. "You're ripping the heart from this beautiful game."

The coach lies on a table, stares at the sky and says: "Pain is all there is to tell me I'm still here."

"That's the key moment," Morey said, laughing at the morbidity. "Come see it! It's uplifting!"

Of all the times for art to reflect Morey's life, it is ironic that he, an NBA executive known for weathering rosters rife with drama, has produced his most harmonious playoff team this year.

'As many people that are rooting for it, there's a lot of people rooting against it' – Daryl Morey

"I don't see Daryl as having anything to prove," Wallace said. "He's had a decade-plus of very high-level success."

Morey does not see it that way. If he did, he would not validate his critics or embrace that old nickname, the one about a program that innovated but could not take over a sport.

Morey sees himself like the coach in his musical. Every Rockets game remaining this season will give him pain or relief from pain.

"It isn't rational," Morey said. "It is emotional."

He will leave the crowd before tipoff Sunday. In between moments of anguish, he will check the time on a clock above the practice court. It will remind him that a world is rotating beyond the grip of basketball.

Then he will return his attention to the TV and wait for it to all to be over. He might feel joy for a change.

"The championship," he said. "That's it."

D-rock, alethios and hakeem94 like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good to see Daryl and I share the same approach to Rockets playoff games. I can only handle gut punches so many times! The heartbreak of high expectations and letdowns and injuries for 25 years leaves a mark. I don't think my heart rate during playoff games is medically approved.

D-rock and alethios like this.
  4. baubo

baubo Member

In some ways the most fun seasons as a fan are ones like Hardens first year or Yao’s first year with us when there’s no pressure and everything is great win or lose.

This regular season has been fun but now each game is just about how to avoid disappointment.

amaru and OTMax like this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol u disappointed how far we gone last year and this year considering we are not a superteam?

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Good read!

7. baubo

baubo Member

I was not a happy watcher during the Spurs series and game six was an atrocious memory. But if that game happened in 2012 I wouldn’t have even been disappointed. So yes, last playoffs was not as enjoyable as those years I mentioned when I could just enjoy seeing young players grow.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

hakeem94, J.R. and Snow Villiers like this.
  9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dude be getting them double meat burrito's from Chipotle with extra cheese

Stormy1234 and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is it wrong of me to suggest he take a trainer along in those trips to the weight room?

Seems like a double good way to relieve stress

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

we need more boring wins for a healthier dork elvis

D-rock and Stormy1234 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

very good article!

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still got all hair on his head.....there is some time till they go grey.

Gandolrey.

14. SuraGotMadHops

This was a great read. Morey gets the same anxiety us die hard fans do, and it's refreshing to see he is so invested emotionally. His pacing around, desire to watch games in solitude, cussing, and wilting exactly describes how I watched the Astros playoff run.

Let's go freakin Rockets!!

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

good lord i hope harden and cp3 don't catch what he's got, we need them loose and confident when games get close

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Great stuff! He definitely won’t be satisfied with anything less than a championship, good to hear :)

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Daryl has worked hard over the years and sleepless nights, phone calls for trade proposals, until trading for Harden. Traveling overseas for prospects, scouting the NCAA, G League, this roster is his vision and Rockets Front Office Work. Great Job Rockets.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m the same way. The bigger the game, the i prefer to watch games alone. I get irritated real quick and easy when the game is in doubt for us to win. Specially when the game is on the 55inch ultra he TVs fun pol walk right up to the tv and ask me what the score is..?:mad:

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The difference is that Morey doesn't have control of the game whereas players do, at least to a much greater extent. Morey is basically like if you play any sports game as GM and you sim the season. You feel you may have made the best decisions but in the end whether your team wins is not up to you. It's one thing to believe that 3 pointers are good because in the long run your effiiciency is better. It's another to see your team go 1-10 from 3 knowing there's nothing you can do besides hope they shoot better. The lack of control is what makes it agonizing.