1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He forgot one.....

Being 1 strike away from winning a World Series twice and not being able to finish.

Marteen, MadMax and marks0223 like this.
  2. plee

plee Member

Might change the title from September to April the rate they are going...

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My son just sent me a screenshot of a tweet from a baseball writer saying the Rangers already have a trade partner for Hole Camels. It's April 10.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I would like for the Rangers to actually win some games this year. 81-81 is a terrible result for them. Losing 110 games would be a better season, assuming they have a GM capable of nailing the #1 pick. I honestly hope they’re good enough to be buyers at the deadline.

5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Do you guys hate the Rangers more or less than you did the Cards or Cubs from NL days? I honestly think the hate flowing through me is about the same.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It is approaching Dodgers level hate for me from the NL West days.

SooneRockStro likes this.
  7. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Ah I was born in 1984 so I really never got to experience that. I hated the Cardinals with a passion, especially Pooholes.

CometsWin and texans1095 like this.
  8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I cheered for Lance Berkman and the Cards in 2011 over Texas so I guess really I hate the Ramgers more. What was really irritating is all the new fangled Rangers fans that popped up over night when they went to the WS.

donkeypunch and CometsWin like this.
  9. msn

msn Member

I'm in the minority, but less. I'm slow, though: I still hate each of the Dodgers and Braves more than the Cards and Rangers combined. (but not the Cubs. I hate the Cubs.) Now that the Rangers are irrelevant again, I can't even hate on them. It's like stomping a piss ant. Why bother?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The fact that many here still hate the Rangers, and are reveling in their irrelevance, makes it even more of a true rivalry.

When the Astros were irrelevant... not a single team (or fan of another team) cared.

kaleidosky likes this.
  11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I never hated the Cardinals....they were like the Colts in the NFL for me....I just respected them. Now all the years of battling for the WC and 2nd place in the division with the cubbies.....that is the team I despised. I think the Rangers are approaching that level now....

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For me, I have more interactions with Ranger fans than I've had with Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, and Mets. It was weird how Ranger fans really didn't exist that long ago. Also, Ranger fans have a lot of overlap with Cowboy fans, and Cowboy fans have been obnoxious pricks for longer than I can remember.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

A local sportscaster here made a joke...that might be prophetic. He asked whether or not Gallo would hit more home runs than the Rangers get wins. it might be a good race.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya, Dallas is big on bandwagon fans (I live there). Those and people who relive the Cowboys glory in the 90's, as if the previous 20 years didn't happen.

desihooper likes this.
  15. HTM

HTM Member

What is unique about the Rangers rivalry... unlike with the St. Louis Cardinals..... is that there is a non-sport city rivalry between Houston/Dallas as the two biggest cities in Houston with one located in the north and the other the further southeast...

I disliked the Cardinals a lot but I hate Dallas (just generally) and now that we are in the same division I hate the Rangers a lot.

eric.81 likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't disagree - except it's never really fueled a robust Mavericks-Rockets rivalry, which is odd. I think it's the nature of the sport, where conference is more important than the division, especially when the 4-8 seed are mostly interchangeable fodder for the top 3 (as it was much of the Rockets-Mavericks joint hey day).

What ignited this rivalry, I think, is the Rangers dominance over the Astros in '15 & '16 - stole a division in '15 and essentially eliminated the Astros from postseason contention in '16. Rivalries spark when one team has something the other wants. And the ball is now clearly in the Rockets' court.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

18. Buck Turgidson

Pretty much exactly this. I always respected the Co-Ardinals, and they did the same towards us. LaRussa was a prick, and some of their players annoyed the hell out of me (Edmonds, Vina, Pujols, Eckstein, etc...) But I couldn't really hate 'em, they were just really good. Same with the Braves. Now the Cubs, much different story.

The Rangers have replaced them since the AL move, because there's gotta be somebody.

Uprising and desihooper like this.
  19. plee

plee Member

Now Elvis is down...it might just happen

msn likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6 weeks-3months according to dallas radio