1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want us to face in the first round?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Mar 25, 2018.

?

First Round Choice

1. Nuggets

86 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Jazz

19 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pelicans

40 vote(s)
    16.8%
  4. Twolves

62 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. Spurs

31 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think Clippers will fall off eventually and they probably are that interested in making the playoffs as the 8th seed anyways.

OKC and Portland are probably going to end up in the upper half of the bracket. The rest that currently are in the picture all have a chance to be the 8th seed, hence our first round opponent.

I absolutely do not us to face the Spurs in the first round given Khwai might come back and DA is ripping.

I don’t us to face the Jazz. That team is dangerous.

Out of Nuggets, Twolves and Pelicans, we have numbers on these teams in the regular seas. They don’t scare me. I would pick Nuggets because they are the least talented. But, I don’t mind playing any one of the other two. Twolves probably are the toughest among the three.

Thoughts?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My ideal scenario would be that Spurs end up in position 7. I want the Warriors to have to go through the Spurs, then Portland. Whether we get the Pelicans, Pups or j*zz in the first round - I don't really care.

3. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Nuggets if they make it.

Malone is either the second-worst or worst coach among that bunch. They don't have elite perimeter defenders (Harris is good but far from elite) and no interior defensive presence. Jokic is my guy but BBQ chicken in PnR defense.

4. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Might sound weird but I want the Spurs. It’ll do a lot for Harden’s confidence going forward getting revenge on them. Beating a team of that caliber in the first round (who at full strength is a 3 seed and not an 8 seed) would he huge if we go on to win it all. There will be no “they had an easy path” narrative. And honestly, we SHOULD beat them (I think handedly) with the talent we have this year and home court. If we can’t, then we don’t deserve to be there anyway.

5. Game7

Game7 Member

Bring em on!!! No option for "all of the above?"

Perki-Perk, DD444, ico4498 and 3 others like this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

For sure we will beat them. They are old and just don't have enough talents to keep with us in a 7 game series. But, they are gonna fight and had a scheme against Harden from last year. I want us to finish the business in the first round in 4 to 5 games. This spurs team is probably the least talented Spurs in the past 20 years, but still finish them in 5 is not that easy.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Has Anthony Davis even won a single playoff game yet? Don’t act like their fluke games against us in the regular season are a real barometer.

I don’t think we have any realistic chance of losing to any other team in the first round, but ask yourself, what matchup risks the least collateral damage to our roster? In San Antonio and Salt Lake City the fans will be screaming for blood, and the refs will be liable to let slide the more physical play that happens when invariably the other team is inferior. For the minimum chance to get a player injured, pick New Orleans (Denver ain’t making the playoffs).

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Haha. I love the spirit. No chicken. We definitely can beat them all in the playoffs, but the first round is supposed to be easy. This year race to the 8th seed has too many contenders. :)

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'd like to play the Jazz if possible. Hakeem and Drexler would not mind seeing the Jazz lose. I promise you that.

saleem likes this.
  10. samerth.is.so.b.f.g.

the jazz seem like the easiest team to me, after watching all of our games against the jazz this season. you guys remember that game where harden went off for 56 points effortlessly, i remember that but i also remember all our blowout wins against them, the nuggets (thanksgiving especially lol), the pelicans and the t wolves. so im not entirely sure. i do want to see the warriors play the t wolves though- because the wolves have a legit chance of beating the warriors with the way towns goes off on the warriors defense... and it would be great for us to play the spurs cause that would be an easy sweep too...

True Rocket and saleem like this.
  11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Just because the Jazz can’t score doesn’t mean they are the “easiest” opponent. Their defense can wear us down and cause more wear on us in the long haul

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

worriers, okc, portland. then sweep the lerbons in the finals.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Jazz don't match well with us. Capela plays well against Gobert. Gordon can slow Mitchell down on the perimeter with defense. CP can run circles around Rubio. The beard will take care of the rest. Our Rockets can sweep them, or beat them 4-1.

Spurs will be more challenging than the Jazz, with their discipline, experience and defense. It's better to face them as first round opponents, rather than in the 2nd round when they have gotten some rhythm going. Rockets 4-1 or 4-2 vs Spurs. Tight defense on LMA and good rebounding is key.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, they are good on defense, but the Rockets won't fear them since they can't score. Complacency, will be our biggest enemy against them.
    Defense first, has always got to be our motto, in every game. CP's probing game, and Harden's passing/ attack should set the tone for the series if we meet them. Nuggets aren't that good, but Millsap/ Jokic are a tough combo.

15. farhen

farhen Member

I don't care about analytics guys says we should prove them all wrong, give us spurs for revenge

Game7 likes this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Kawhi ain't coming back if Woj is reliable as a media source.

Spurs round 1 to wash away last year's game 6 ghost for Harden.

17. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Sweeping the Spurs in the first round would be pretty nice.

today and True Rocket like this.
  18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Are they still tanking with Dominique Wilkins, btw? It would royally suck if they end up with the first pick and draft Bill Trunkin, the greatest power center swingman to ever live.

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

I want the jazz or pelicans in the first round. They just simply don’t have enough offense to keep up with the rockets.

Also, I hope the warriors get the toughest matchup in in the first two rounds. Thunder in the first round and spurs with a healthy Kawhi in the second round.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I truly want the Spurs. With or without Kawhi.

They are no match for this version of the Rockets.

Heck, even without our vaunted defensive players, I'd still be confident in just adding CP3s mid game to last seasons team and think that would be enough to take them down.

I want the Spurs, because it can only mean a huge monkey off of Harden's back and will no doubt light a fuse in him to continue the tear.

Marteen, ico4498 and today like this.