1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[COD BOMB] Rockets have a backup plan for BIG 6 if signing Lebron fails in the summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Mar 19, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It was possible because Basketballholic predicted it would never happen, which instantly meant, no matter what, it was going to happen.

Less to do with Morey/Lawson, more to do with just the Voodoo of Joatmac's terrible "info"

D-rock, hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I’m thinking JJ would be nice here...

As for anything else, maybe Bjelica.

But that’s like plan C if LBJ or whatever DM is cooking up as a backup to him doesn’t work.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. David321

David321 Member

Please no to Melo. He's not what he used to be and doesn't even fit in MDA's system

Manos and hakeem94 like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Curious @saleem to get your take on LMA

I was a fan of LMA during his Longhorn-Blazers days; but I feel his flaws were glaring once
    he arrived with the Spurs. Spurs have been trying to trade LMA for two years with no success.
    Possibly due to a changing NBA.

Kawhi doesn’t like playing with LMA and has voiced his displeasure with the arrangement since summer.
    Kawhi rarely speaks, so problem is major for him to do so. So one or the other will be gone this summer.
    I’m guessing the Spurs encourage LMA to use his opt-out powers......and LMA wants to get away from the
    situation.

The reason I bring up Aldridge is because Morey M.O. is to circle back to failed trade/FA attempts. Nene, Dragic,
    Melo, Bosh, Lowry, Dwight Howard, etc.. What if LMA accepts around $15 mil. Walk away from more to stay with
    Spurs to play for a team dynasty ready?

Not thread worthy, just curious what you and other CF’s think. Aldridge has worked on quicker post moves
    after catch and still demands double coverage help defense. Better option than K-Love at a much cheaper
    price. Here are some numbers from this year:

LMA (17/18) play types

Isolation

3.4% frequency......0.66 ppp........16.9 NBA percentile
    Roll-Man (PnR)
    16.2% frequency....1.03 ppp........38.5 NBA percentile
    Post Ups
    43.5% frequency.....0.98 ppp.......75.0 NBA percentile
    Spot Ups
    9.2% frequency.......0.96 ppp.......45.6 NBA percentile
    Cutter
    7.3% frequency......1.30 ppp........53.3 NBA percentile
    Put Backs
    10.2% frequency.....1.42 ppp........92.5 NBA percentile

LMA (17/18): 105 DRtg, 22.7 pts, 8.4 rebs, 1.1 blks, 0.5 stl, 30% (3P% on 83 attempts)
    Tucker (17/17): 107 DRtg, 5.8 pts, 5.5 rebs, 0.3 blks, 1.0 stls, 37 (3P%)

So the Rockets would lose the spacing Tucker and Ryno provide......but can double as Center.

Capela (17/18): 102 DRtg, 14.1 pts, 10.9 rebs, 1.8 blks, 0.7 stls

Might be a better chance of keeping the team together. Sign Gerald Green, Ariza, Luc MaM, CP3 deals
    plus add deep bench quality point guard (cheap). Idk...one like Chalmers or Devin Harris.
    I know Aldridge would need to cut down on post up frequency and work on 3-point shot.
    If DeRozen can do it....Aldridge can too. Idk I’m starting to warm up to the idea.

Might be better than Melo option.

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whose first rounder?
    Ours will be an expensive second rounder.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

because Melo<olympic Melo<D'Antoni Melo

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad you brought this up, as I was thinking about LMA too.I always look for opt out guys, and cheap contracts who might break loose,:) i haven't checked out the Spurs lately, is he still able to hit the long 2's with regularity? If yes, then the spacing issue might not be so bad. His post up game would be welcome too. My concern is that he wants to be the man. Will he kick the ball out to Harden and Gordon? James would have to become more off a catch and shoot guy. Our offense might stagnate, and LMA is almost certainly not going to be happy, when Harden is going to isolate on mismatches. Harden is not selfish, he will feed him on the left side where LMA likes to operate. What will Chris do on the opposite side of the floor at the same time?

It would be nice if Harden, Chris and LMA can talk to each other in the off season. I think Pops will trade him soon, but not to us.
    Dallas will want him, but they don't have much to offer.

i think Thaddeus might be traded, they have Myles and Sabonis. He is no LMA, but he is very disciplined, hard working, and a team guy. I think he would be a good fit for Houston, despite not being a true 3 point shooting threat.

Anderson would have to be moved in a 3 way trade to get Young. I'm okay with that, although that is hard to pull off. DM should go after Mike Scott, he can't defend, but his UFA status and athleticism makes him obtainable for a relatively cheap contract.
    DM might be able to re-sign Capela easily along with Scott.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. saleem

Love can do that, but will he be able to defend well consistently?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Can Harden? Nash? Curry? Lillard? Irving?

Defend well consistently is not a condition of being worth 22 million dollars.

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

We can only get Bron/PG through opt-in trade like CP3 or have to gut the team. We are not going to operate under the cap and use space. We will operate above the cap and do our damage through trade. Capela is a RFA and any trade would have him be a base year compensation player where only half his salary would count in trade. Likewise, this or any other sign and trade or the full MLE places the hard cap on the Rockets. DAJ has a $24M option. He wants to come here but not for TPMLE even for one year. We would not have his Bird rights. He would be open for another opt-in trade to get Bird rights but that involves a 3rd team for Ryno. Then you are S&T Capela to who and for what? Capela+EGo<LBJ trade salary. We only have so many assets. Plan A - LBJ, Plan B - PG13, Plan C - ?

The cleanest route is Ryno/EGo or PJ for LBJ, TPMLE LMM, resign CP3, Capela, Ariza

Forget FA. Everyone needs to look at disgruntled stars or stars that cannot win. We will never have the firepower for the Brow but think of someone else. The contract matters. We lost our chance at Boogie because now he is a FA with a serious injury. He and PG13 were the best options because they had that lower salary threshold. One of the reasons you hear Aaron Gordon is because that list gets very short quickly and devolves into KLove and lower tier players after that because our guard rotation is set.

Vivi, D-rock, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  11. saleem

What incentive will the Cavs have to trade Love to Houston? They certainly won't want Anderson as a replacement.. They may want Capela, and Gordon. I don't mind trading Clint, but Love should be paired with a good center.

12. farr3l

farr3l Member

Adding Love wouldn’t be a bad move. His talents and attitude should fit well on this team. Some of these other guys I’m not so sure about. Also any additions would depend heavily on who exits i.e. Capela, CP3 or Ariza.

What if Road Ryan is activated for the entire ‘18 playoffs. What he does well is exactly what we need along side Harden. The way the league is evolving, having a 4/5 that shoots 3s at 39% is an advantage.

Snipers at all 5 positions

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve always liked Thad Young and a similar player who is slightly taller named Andray. Blatche. (Older
    and playing in China)

Aldridge (17/18): per basketball-reference.com
    at rim: .736 (314 FGA)
    3 to <10ft.: .441 (238 FGA)
    10 to <16 ft: .425 (280 FGA)
    16 to < 3pt: .410 (222 FGA)
    3 pt: .301. (883 FGA)

Dunk: 41 of 43 (.953)
    Hook Shot: 64 of 130 (.492)
    Jump Shot: 269 of 672 (.400)
    Lay Up: 197 of 292 (.675)

Idk Some old dogs may not learn new tricks. Don’t ask me K-Loves shot break down. Not good.
    Thad Young DRtg 107 is the same as LMA.
    Love is DRtg 109

saleem likes this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If LeBron hypothetically stays in Cleveland, why would the Cavs trade Love? LeBron seems to like playing with him.

saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. saleem

Andray Blatche is/was talented, his inconsistency kept him from achieving much success in the NBA.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Totally agree. His untapped potential was always above good IMO. *Just couldn’t tame that mustang on what was a
    good efficient shot over what wasn’t. Now he is out of shape playing in the Philippines. If he had stayed trim like
    Mr. Thaddeus he could have fit perfect with the Rockets if he would protect the rim, rebound, PnR. He coulda
    been a contender with the current Rockets. I wish Thad Young was 6’11”. Still not a bad get for the Rockets.

*Different from Dalembert who only put out once every 12-14 games while with the Rockets. I saw Jordan Hill
    the same way. Played to his capabilities only about 10 times a season. Hill did better with the Lakers imo.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That’s a typo on 3PA’s (83)

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Your not going to convince that Draymond is an allstar level player.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s good.

Ya he would be good on Houston, Portland, Washington.

But he’s not making the allstar team on any of those teams because he would be the 3rd option and as the 1st option the team wouldn’t be any good.

And him in Memphis? What he would be awful there. How’s he going to make the allstar team in Memphis and make them even a playoff team?

Green has become the most overrated good player in the nba.

Ppl have this idea that without him golden state can’t win and that’s a joke they have KD and Steph as long as they have them they are fine.

The numbers point this out. Curry is the guy on that team. When he doesn’t play they suffer and look like a 3-4 seed.

Without green They still win 60+ games assuming everyone else is healthy.

Player a) 10/6/6 1st team all nba defense selection.

Player b) 11/7/7 1st team all nba defensive selection.

Player A) is pat bev last year

Player B) draymond Green This year.

I don’t see anyone beating the door down making a case for bev to be an allstar.

He’s a nice player with a pretty well rounded skill set and plays tough hard nosed defense.

He’a not a guy that creates offense for himself, his passing numbers are inflated because of the system. Most of his assists come with him being the roll man and throwing to the corners to klay or KD.

I watched Dmo who now plays in China do that 4 years ago on a 56 win team. Cool your a big that can take two dribbles and pass to the corner for a wide open shot.

Your and allstar.

He rebounds 7 a game that’s not terrible but at the same time we dog Ryan Anderson and he avg almost 6 a game playing less minutes.

He’s a great role player and any team with great players in place would want him.

But your not building a team around Green and he is not someone I want to pair up and be my robin to a Batman. If he’s your second best player your not contending.

I know I Sound like a green hater but I’m really not I would love him on houston.

I just don’t think he’s a star like so many think.

He’s a high level role player who happens to play with 2 MVPs and a bottom tear allstar.

So naturally his status has been inflated.

Manos likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love Simmons, bring him home. But he's killing it now on cheap contract in Orlando. And I believe AG is obtainable and would be a favorable and more economic back up plan if LBJ chooses another team.

Both Simmons and AG would be great fits in MDA system. Huge plus is that team gets younger, longer and more athletic.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great post. I might gamble on Kevin Love, but a hard pass on Aldridge. Ideally, I'd like a cheaper, unheralded guy (Mbah A Moute style, or even young James Harden style) that I trust Morey to find, so we can cram depth into the front-court as much as possible.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.