1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We have Deshaun Watson. We have a chance against anyone at any time with him.

red5rocket and showa13 like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Let me help you out.
    Chris Hubbard, Cam Fleming, Austin Howard.
    Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown, Mike Glennon.

One one hand people get on Texans fans for being okay with mediocrity but when they show they're dissatisfaction they're being impatient. This didn't have to be a 1,2 year rebuild. Not with their situation of having cap space but not a lot of draft picks. If they're doing a rebuild, they need to start trading their vets for draft picks while they're still valuable.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

What is project remaining cap room for Texans? I say Fleming, Melvin or Gaines, Honey Badger are your priorities and then check-in with remaining TEs and Adrian Peterson.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

6. Fantasma Negro

I completely forgot about Baby Cush

If he can stay on the field he'll be a nice add. Runs clean routes and can juke defenders out of their shoes. Inconsistent as **** though, mainly because on injuries. I had him on a fantasy roster when Martavis got suspended and he was so hit or miss I couldn't play him

7. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I mean you cant really prove its false just like i cant prove its true. However, you even said it yourself the lack of news about even having visits scheduled this year is pretty weird.

But hey maybe because we have a rookie gm, its not like they ever come in and try and make splashs right away( john lynch/jimmy g).

A honey badger visit would calm the narrative, but if we dont even get a meeting with him......... well maybe peeps just dont like being called inmates.

Ive defended this org a LOT since 2002, but what mccnair said thus past season was one of the dumbest things ive seen them do. A couple years down the road peeps might move on, but the 1st free agency afterwards........

macho GRANDE likes this.
  8. edwardc

edwardc Member

Didn't you say he should be fired as well.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I wasn't saying they should be done. I'm saying you always overpay for free agents. You can't overpay for as many positions as the Texans have needs. I am glad they didn't pay Nate Solder or Malcom Butler those contracts.

I would like to see the Texans add Gaines, a TE, and Fleming or Howard.

Fullcourt likes this.
  10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

overpaying for free agents is all good when you are one or two players away.

when you need the washer, dryer, kitchen sink, bathtub, bed, curtains, house and even the cardboard box to live in beforehand - you must be wise with your FA dollars.

this free agent period has had a very moneyball feel to it for me (from a texans perspective).

I expect them to:
    Sign one impactful FA beyond what we have
    Extend Clowney (which may eliminate the above)
    save some money for camp cuts
    and maybe shift some dollars into next offseason when they are closer

csj and Chilly_Pete like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Might be higher than it's worth but it's still not ridiculous.

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Looks like 47 mill according to spotrac. Cutting Jackson, Allen and Newton can free up another 14 million. No reason they cant get Mathieu and Gaines. A secondary of Gaines/ Johnson/ Colvin/ Badger/ Hal with JJo/ Moore and Decoud as backups is solid. Top 5 defense if healthy.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hubbard signed, Bridgewater signed, McCown signed, Glennon signed, Howard signed, Fleming 4th string NE tackle, Howard released from Baltimore after playing with knee injury all year. If low cost gamble ok. Only thing left at tackle are journeyman you hope can help you limp through the year.

I have no idea what we do at backup QB, just know it won't be exciting.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Misspoke on Howard. He hasn't been signed yet. Worth a flyer if cheap, but he's not the answer long term.

Nimo likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

They were all available at the beginning of FA. Maybe the Texans were interested and kept it hush hush but the only reports we read about were Solder and Butler.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Neither is Seantral. If anything, I would rather go with an older veteran if it's on a short term basis.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry, misinterpreted your point. In my original take I was responding to someone who thought we could still make a splash at tackle. My point is nothing left but flyers and depth and that we are doomed to limp along on the OL next year unless we get really lucky.

Nimo likes this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member