1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 3/12/2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wish I had one. I've got a Jerry Lin bobblehead (had 3, but gave 2 away). I use it on my little table at home, where I've constructed an alter to the Basketball Gods in an attempt to bring the Rockets good juju (think Major League, but with less Voodoo). I have Jeremy upside down with his head in a bowl of Cherrios. There are candles and obscure things I picked up in Thailand, India, and Egypt. I have a bronze Buddha staring at Jerry's feet, and a photo of my dog staring out at the world, daring the world to screw up our amazing season. Surely all of that will bring us good juju! So far, so good, in my humble opinion.

4. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

So just outta curiosity, how do you “interpret” Pop’s resting his key players against the Rockets? Is that conceding victory to the Rockets out of respect or not respecting Rockets by thinking he could be competitive (and even win) without his best players?

I ask because he played his full roster (minus Kawhi) against the Warriors recently. He didn’t opt to “rest” his guys in that game....perhaps he views the Warriors as a more legitimate competition than the Rockets?

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In all honesty, I find it very weird. SA is on the cusp of not making the playoffs. At this point in the season, and with SA one of (without looking) 4 teams with essentially the same record, all fighting for that last spot, how can he "toss" a game? As I said earlier, someplace tonight, I could understand it if they had a tremendously bad record, similar to what they had when they drafted Timmy D, but they're so good that their lottery pick will be way low. There's no incentive that I can see to give up on the season. I'm as confused about what Pop did tonight as I suspect a lot of others are here.

Yes, it is very weird. The thing about us or Golden State? There are some pretty good teams fighting for that last spot. I don't see how Pop can assume that the Spurs can just turn it on and be that team at the 8th spot, much less 7th.

#465 Deckard, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    ramotadab, don grahamleone and Remlap like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

100 and its yours.. Still in the box

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. Remlap

Remlap Member

My how times have changed. USED to be that we would have to scratch and claw
    against SA. They were always a tough matchup for us.
    NOW. . . ..

[​IMG]

8. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Scalp much? None of my business, but even $50 is a ridiculously great offer for a freebie handout from the game.....in my opinion

9. JeremyLin7

JeremyLin7 Member

Could you do $75?

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yeah

11. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

It felt like we was just going threw the motions Spurs looked awful.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

"None of my business" and " in my opinion" in the same sentence? Stephen A Smithesque!

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Moving so slowly does tend to conserve energy. :)

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

thought he was actually alright tonight despite not scoring, he was passing out of the post beautifully. He could have easily had 8 or 9 assists if guys hit their shots off his passes

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Spurs have a b2b he’s trying to make sure they at least get the win vs the Magic tomorrow. Last week they didn’t have a b2b so he played everyone against warriors. Pop rests based on schedule.

ramotadab and buffalobills!!! like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spurs are wearing the ugliest jerseys there is.

slothy420, Deckard and Tfor3 like this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Guess the only team Pops watches

18. buffalobills!!!

Spurs fandom is being tested for the first time in more than twenty years. Will they stick by their team or reveal themselves as bandwagons hopping on a really successful team?

Deuce and da_juice like this.
  19. j@amc

j@amc Member

I don't think Popovich was "tossing" the game. Throughout, he was teaching, working on player development, and coaching very hands on. Those early game moves (the early timeouts, wholesale lineup changes, and so on) did make this feel like an extended practice and threw off our rhythm and focus. That all felt weird and that the final score was fairly unimportant to the Spurs.

I don't think they are giving up on the season, but their entire year hangs in the balance on what kind of Kawhi comes back. Even with him, they might not make it back into the playoffs. . . But if they do, the Spurs will match up against GS or us, and trust me, no one wants to play that team in a series.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Since his white hot start, Green is shooting 34% from the field, 31% from 3, and is averaging 0.3 assists in 20 games. Tarik Black has a higher assist rate.

I like aggressive players, but he takes shots that would make Kobe shudder. The man can clearly shoot when he stays in the flow of the offense, but he's moving into foolish territory now.

FWIW I like overly aggressive more than reluctant, but neither is good.