1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans avoiding free agents who protested during national anthem: report

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 6, 2018.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Great post... but I have to disagree with the quoted portion above. "Exercising your right to free speech" at your job is 100% protected. And by "protected" I mean that while you will likely (definitely?) be fired, you will NOT be imprisoned for the content of your speech unless you are inciting panic (i.e. yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater).

That's what I think people miss about "free speech." All the amendment means is that you can speak freely without going to prison. That doesn't mean that the constitution guarantees your employment. That doesn't mean that your speech is free of any and all consequences... just legal consequences. If you're a Josh Innis type and you "exercise your free speech" by spouting racist garbage on the air, your employer can exercise their freedom by firing you.

I hope this wasn't perceived as a criticism directed toward your post. Again, I appreciated its content.

macho GRANDE and justtxyank like this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Water is wet

macho GRANDE likes this.
  3. csj

csj Member

No reason to believe this. You're just inserting your own prejudices.

Just because there's a "new rule" doesn't mean it will be followed or that it would make the league look good. Unlikely a "new rule" is needed or would address an issue regardless.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what are my prejudices here, praytell? Your statement seems to indicate some significant misapprehension on the subject.

BTW, the reason to believe it would happen is all the owners grumbling about the issue, and the fact that they are such a conservative good old boy's club. Also the way the much more liberal NBA fined the crap out of Mahmoud Abdul Rauf back in the day because they had an existing rule on the books.

Finally, the way that every other conduct rule change has gone through collective bargaining is a pretty good indicator that they can't just institute a "players have to stand" rule without consulting the NFLPA.

#44 Ottomaton, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. Buck Turgidson

He's not wrong.

If management wants the players to do something, then the players union agrees to it in their contract, and vice-versa. Collective Bargaining Agreement. Renegotiated every few years. Learn it, know it, live it.

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Freedom of speech is sacrificed when you’re an employee buddy. Can’t tell your boss to F off.

Also it’s insight into someone’s wisdom, respect, and execution of ideas

7. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

It’s funny bc the country is actually failing white ppl right now... hence trump.

Don’t group think. Think on your own. Who is actually empowered here??? The white folk who is getting condemned endlessly for running THEIR team or the black folk who can kneel and cause outcry against anyone saying otherwise.

Edit: I should disclaim I’m playing devil’s advocate with my comments. I’m not a right wing ultra conservatist which some snowflakes might conclude from comments such as these.

8. csj

csj Member

No misapprehension, your claim was clear. You stated that the owners would take a specific action if they could. That indicates that you've prejudged that's the owners have a universal preference. There's no evidence to lead to such a conclusion.

"All the owners" are not on record "grumbling about the issue", you are simply asserting your prejudices again.

That may be true, but if you had the facts to support that claim you would have offered them. Furthermore, you claimed far more than that.

9. csj

csj Member

I agree with your second point, but that's not what he said. What he is wrong about is that the owners would take a specific action if they could, and, further, the implication that the players union hasn't agreed to terms that would support that action already. I'm inclined to believe that both those points are false, but all I said his that there's no public evidence to support the first claim.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Whether it’s true or not it’s certsinly plausible given the history of this shitty franchise and it’s even shittier owner who clearly views HIS team as a conduit to make money and espouse his thinly veiled political leanings far far FAR over putting out a winning team.

McNair has made this franchise almost unwatchable to me. He’s a clown of the largest order and an utter embarrassment to this city.

macho GRANDE and Hippieloser like this.
  11. csj

csj Member

LOL. Who but "right wing ultra conservatists" use the derisive term "snowflake"?

TheFreak and macho GRANDE like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not trying to spark anything crazy just genuine curiosity. Most protests and picketin, strikes and the like have a goal in mind to reach in order to stop. Is there going to just be kneeling for the rest of time? Didn't the NFL donate money or something? I'm just wondering what the kneeling players expect/want in return for them standing up.

13. AirPower

AirPower Member

The term snowflake is pretty ubiquitous now, it seems like everyone uses it for just about anyone that complains about something.

It's actually pretty entertaining to see if get thrown around so much!

14. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Learn to read comprehensively. I clearly said there could be consequences for the way you express yourself. There is nothing illegal about telling your boss to F off, but you will likely be fired as a consequence.

15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Not only are you the real traitor, you are also a liar.

16. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Stawman is going to strawman. You're a bigger idiot than the other idiot.

17. Nero

Nero Member

Really? I disagree. How about you provide something substantial to support your position other than insults? I think you will fail.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think the point was already made and they have moved on.

19. Nero

Nero Member

This SOUNDS good, but I am not so sure that is how it really would have to go.

I mean, using that logic, you could claim that ANY action at ALL which is not specifically outlined in the CBA would be totally allowable. Does it say anywhere in the CBA that players are not allowed to shoot other players? Or to fill the locker room with farm animals? Or to scream every sentence he says in meetings at the top of his lungs?

Obviously those are silly examples, but the point is, even if it's not in the CBA, the team could certainly be within its rights to make and enforce rules, as long as those rules do not BREAK established agreements in the CBA. Hence the 'good of the league' clause which Goodell has been using like a hammer.

I don't know what the CBA says about kneeling and protesting during the National Anthem one way or the other. But if it's not specifically in there that it is ALLOWED, then I suspect the Owners could very well just come up with a team rule against it and enforce it.

I really don't care that much in all honesty. I would rather they protest on their own time instead of during the national anthem. But I seldom am in a position to watch the national anthem of NFL games anyway, and if players are doing that nonsense, I just won't watch until the game starts anyway.

I just saw your comment and wondered.. I guess it comes down to the difference between the Owners having a rule requiring players to NOT do something, as opposed to a rule requiring players to DO something, if that makes sense.

csj likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Geez!
    I thought the owner of the team was bad; but the fans too?