1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. raining threes

I can thank him for not have a clue as to how to build a complete roster.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Your partially correct--technically our very own Taylor Heinicke is the current back-up. I expect we'll sign a veteran or two to compete.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well. Apparently he is doing better than more than half of the league. They have like the 5th best roster in the AFC. Playoffs or bust?

leebigez likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Like u said, no backup

5. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Pick up sherman, murray and trade for earl thomas

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Might can get Matthieu if Arizona cuts him.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sherman was very vocally anti-McNair in the media during the whole "inmates running the prison" kerfuffle. I doubt he would choose to come here and I doubt McNair wants him on his team, seperate from any anthem protest black list policy that does or doesn't exist.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL, its easy to have the second best edge when your team gets the first pick in the draft and it lines up with a freak entering the league such as Clowney.

Sucky roster ---> Losing record ----> 1st overall pick ----> 2nd best edge

Its a top heavy roster by ranking. No depth.

texian likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

Good. I want to stay away from him as far as possible. Coming off Achilles, he will not be the same player he was.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, it's painful how much they have swung from one of the better o-lines and secondaries to one of the worst.

11. texian

texian Member

Not hardly, we have one of the worst rosters in the league. We have no OL — an injury prone C and a backup T and that’s it. We need 5 new OL. Our secondary is awful. Our TEs are concussion bitten. We have 1.5 WRs. Watt is done. OLBs outside of Mercilus? Our special teams suck which tells you our roster depth is terrible. And we need a real backup QB with no good options or assets to fulfill those needs. We’re now in the relying on free agency zone — where “winners” are losers, taking on other team’s castoffs.

If it wasn’t for the Colts we’d be in the running for bottom of the barrel. (Thank you Ryan Grigson.)

Commodore likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Umm. One draft pick doesn't change the whole position group. And there were many "experts" who felt Clowney wasn't worth the pick. I personally wanted a trade down and Khalil Mack. Let's not act like that was a gimme. Watt wasn't a gimme. Mercilus wasn't a gimme. Reader wasn't a gimme. The Titans, Browns, Jets, Bills, Bucs, etx. have been picking forever and are still ranked worse. The Colts Lucked into their franchise QB and still have a worse roster. All that said, the Texans defense was pretty solid before Clowney. But I agree with you on the lack of depth.

14. HstnSprtsFan101

Incarcerated Bob is legit. If he's about winning then we should be the leaders of that group. San Fran is probably going to land Trumaine

red5rocket and zeeshan2 like this.
  15. donkeypunch

When youre a player of Clowneys stature, it does. Also, I dont know which "experts" you speak of but Clowney was a clear cut consensus #1. I will agree with the fact that the edge is still good without him but we could go back and forth all day long with who actually drafted Watt and Merci, but its been beaten to death already. All Im saying is, if all he has to hang his hat on is a solid edge rush with a depleted roster, hes not very good at his job.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Injury prone? Not fair. One major injury. Yes the line is bad. Yes the secondary is bad. But adding 2 or 3 top FAs along with a few more mid-tier makes a huge difference.

We have more than 1.5 WR. Fuller will be a #1 on the team with the jets right now. It is unfortunate about the concussions. Watt is not done. Special teams was bad with Jacoby, Trindon, Bouye, Charles James, Braman, etc. It ain't just the roster. Something is going on with that unit.

The Titans are due for a fall back down th earth year. They have OL injury issues. New coaching staff. Still can't get good enough WRs. Can Mariota make the next step?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

What about WR, QB, and punter? Lol

18. donkeypunch

With you adding punter in the mix, I dont know if you are being sarcastic and joking or not.

But with that being said, if you are really giving credit to him for WR and QB, I have to say our WR group was/has been nothing but AJ80 until BOB got here and its still not all that great outside of Hop. I dont even want to get started on QB; gave Schaub a new contract coming off surgery, Crock Osweiler(no words need to be said), never drafted a young qb backup to develop until DW4. In his whole time here, we have never had a qb outside of 2 good years from Schaub. Hes not good at his job man.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm only half way serious because I feel like we have beat this pointless argument to death. Most, like you, think he was awful. I think he was average; especially when comparing him to the rest of the league. There are more than 15 teams that have done just as bad or worse in the time he has been here. But he lasted pretty long for an average GM.

20. donkeypunch

Well, when youre a top 10 franchise in all of the world in any sport, its hard to settle for average. I dont want to compare my team to the bottom half, I want to compare my team to the top 5. He was here for a very long time not because he was average, he was here a long time cause hes the godfather of the owners kids kid. Hes a mcnair as far as Im concerned.

Rocketeer Bang likes this.