1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela...$12 million man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2018.

1. buffalobills!!!

Anybody else see this "Clint Freakin' Capela" in the ads?

2. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Doesnt matter, Capela match this team perfectly. I wont give capela for cousin when playing with harden and paul. That's like you want to have Westbrook over CP3 because he has more assists.

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Guys, you can’t argue science... that’s why clearly dynosaurs didn’t Actually go instinct.... and it’s why “rookie” is the new 99er on CF...

Hakeem and Tinman faint...

McGrady and ballscience get red carpet roll out....

Earth is neither round or flat.... it is OVALo_O

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That is why we likely will have to pay the guy when the time comes.
    He is way more valuable to us now than parsons was at the time we lost parsons. Sign him and hope he doesnt get hurt. That is every big signing though.

Oh crap everything inside of me says to do and believe opposite. I will call this the capela exception

5. lionaire

lionaire Member

Pay this man whatever he wants. He is our future.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Morey is going to see who wants to be here more... Clint or Deandre Jordan. Who will undercut who?

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think it will depend on his playoff performance. If he can turn It up and really become a defensive anchor ... It will allay a lot of offensive concerns .

I think he's gonna have a monster postseason . Hopefully he will be ready and rested

8. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Somehow I'm thinking about OKC giving up on Harden after his poor finals performance.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't know what his money value is, but he reminds more of Dream than any player we have had since. He isn't at Dream's level, but he is so young and his progress has been stunning. He is now a lob guy, but he could score around the basket via Yao if given the chance. He has a great hook and baby jumper. His upside is off the charts.

IBTL likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Love ya too man. You keep it real.

I would like to use NFL as an example even though it is a different sport.
    Texans drafted Conner Barwin as a possible replacement to Mario Williams a year prior to free agency.
    Texans then drafted Mercilus as a possible replacement to Conner Barwin a year before free agency.

Always drafting as a means of falling back to a cheaper option. Will that cheaper option be fully evolved
    to replace the better experienced vet. Probably not; but other vets starting are expected to help cover
    inexperience or flaws apparently present.

Running Backs are seen as dispensable commodity due to their short shelf life. They have not been paid
    over the most recent years. But the good news is running backs are evolving and offenses are finding backs
    that can stay in the game 3 downs now. Deserving more money.

Rockets drafted DMo in hopes of replacing D12 at a cheaper level while shoot8ng 3’s. Did not work out.
    So Capela was drafted. Capela was/is the mold that Morey/Rockets we’re striving for. Tall, athletic, potential
    to defend the rim and perimeter, rebound. With constant work with Lucas, Roy Rogers, Olajuwon, Capela
    is finally reaping the rewards of that hard work. Simple, screen, roll, anticipate lob.....see lob....dunk lob.
    Rebound and Block shots. Improve FT’s in order to stay on the court.

Rockets have invested quit a bit of time into Capela. As we all know time is money. The Rockets would like
    nothing better than to retain a Capela at a reasonable $ amount. But as others have said, that will be
    determined by the market. That is why Qi and Hartenstein were drafted. Cheaper rookie contracts.
    I’m a believer the Rockets wished both have developed sooner than they have to this point. Unfortunately
    their potential is unknown at seasons end. Qi can gain 15 pounds of muscle as did Antetokounmpo did this
    past summer. That would go a long way. Capela is good for the Rockets; but the perfect fit for the Rockets
    is a Capela that hits 3’s.
    Qi? Hartenstein? Maybe by end of next season.....maybe.

Can’t draft one of the many coming out of college this summer. To those who don’t know. Harden and CP3
    played with Marvin Bagley in a few Drew League games this past summer. Yes, how dare them for
    cheating on Capela. Fact is the Rockets will have other options if Capela becomes too expensive.
    Much to the chagrin of ballscientist1. Dedmon is a very good option as everyone can expect him to opt out
    of Atlanta.

I mentioned running backs because centers have been called the dinosaurs of the NBA. More disposable.
    They are making a come back though. From high schools to college ranks to Europe......they are here
    and they are coming. Will a team invest more than $20 million on a player like Capela when more
    Capelas are coming down the pike? Capelas that are shooting 3’s and making them. Dedmon is
    shooting 38.8% on 3’s to Capelas 0%.

This is where I do believe in “Plug-N-Play”. I will close this post and continue as a reply from this post—

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you ever watched Double D? Or are you just looking at the stat sheet?

With or without Capela, He would not play If he was on the Rockets. He would be battling Tarik Black for 3rd string minutes behind Nene and Brandan Wright. He is not smart enough to play significant minutes for Gregg Popovich, nor Mike D'Antoni. He is incapable of defending the pick and roll, and again, he is incredibly dense. Pretty much unplayable in the playoffs.

TLDR: Go watch Dewayne Dedmon play basketball. His skill level is nearly identical to Tarik Black, and he is much older. No, you can not plug and play a bum like Dewayne Dedmon in Clint Capela's place. That is utter nonsense. This ain't NBA 2K, nor the NFL.

#131 RudyTBag, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

cont’d from Post #130.

I’m just going to stick with Dedmon since the Noel-Mavs situation turned toxic.
    I believe Nerlens would behave with Houston because his role would be well defined. In the Houston
    playtypes that the Rockets offensive scheme uses; Noel scored well while not so well on others. Rockets
    with a max player like LeBron or an Aaron Gordon would cover up any major flaws Noel may present.

Dedmon
    (17-18) 9.9 points, 0.7 blks, 7.4 rbs, 1.4 asts, 38.8% (3P%), 55.7% (FG%), 117 ORtg, 108 DRtg...poor Atlanta team.
    (16-17) San Antonio Spurs...................................................62.2% (FG%), 122 ORtg, 99 DRtg. My, how better a
    supporting cast helps a players numbers. And better coach. Just shows he is capable and why Morey
    wanted Dedmon a couple summers back.

Some play types the Rockets depend on and use most often from the center position.

http://stats.nba.com/players/playtype-post-up/

Pick in Roll (Roll-Man)..........frequency.......................ppp..................NBA percentile
    Dedmon (17-18) : ......................26.6%..........................1.09...........................53.1 (No Harden or CP3)
    But look at with Spurs last yr:
    Dedmon (16-17): .......................26.7%..........................1.15...........................74.3 (better supporting cast)

Capela (17-18): .........................34.5%..........................1.34............................88.1
    Capela (16-17): .........................28.0%..........................1.14............................72.9 (without CP3 on team)
    Capela has evolved during the year......so would a player like Dedmon.

Cutter.......................................frequency.....................ppp...................NBA percentile
    Dedmon (17-18): ........................17.1%.........................1.40.............................77.4
    (16-17) with Spurs: .....................27.9%.........................1.28.............................56.9

Capela (17-18): ...........................24.1%.........................1.33.............................61.1 (with Harden/CP3)
    Capela (16-17): ...........................29.9%.........................1.39.............................71.9

Put Backs..................................frequency.....................ppp...................NBA percentile
    Dedmon (17-18): ..........................10.6%.........................1.31.............................83.0
    Dedmon (16-17): ..........................21.4%.........................1.18.............................71.5 (Spurs)

Capela (17-18): ............................13.3%..........................1.15.............................61.3
    Sorry didn’t look up Capela stat in this yr.

Spot Up........................................frequency....................ppp....................NBA percentile
    Dedmon (17-18): ............................22.8%.........................1.07..............................69.1
    Dedmon (16-17): .............................2.2%..........................1.00..............................—— (Spurs)

Capela (17-18): ...............................1.4%...........................1.11..............................——
    Capela (16-17): ...............................0.8%...........................0.67..............................——
    Just for reference
    Nene (17-18): ..................................5.6%...........................0.71..............................13.3

Transitions.....................................frequency....................ppp.....................NBA percentile
    Dedmon (17-18): ..............................6.2%..........................1.09..............................52.9
    Dedmon (16-17): .(Spurs)..................7.0%..........................1.24..............................74.4 (can be higher as seen here)

Capela (17-18): .................................11.6%.........................1.27.............................82.1 (Rockets > Hawks)
    Capela (16-17): .................................13.6%.........................1.13............................57.5

Some free agent centers that might work on a cheap one year deal like the route the Warriors always go:
    Dedmon, Alex Len, Greg Monroe, O’Quinn, Koufos, Zaza, Amir Johnson, Nerlens Noel, Willie Reed, Lauvergne,
    JaVale McGee, Lucas Nogueira, ?Vonleh (6’10” 245 lbs)?

Don’t listen to ballscientist1. Here are free agents at SG,SF & PF if Luc and Ariza wish to take more money
    over chance to win a ring with the Rockets:
    JJ Redick, Danny Green, Wayne Ellington, Avery Bradley, Belinelli, Jamal Crawford, Nick Young, Ian Clark,
    Sean Kilpatrick, Jeramy Grant, Casspi, Wesley Johnson, Jeff Green, Mike Scott, Ilyasova, David West, etc.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is not about this year do-do bird

Black is going in free agency. I expect Wright to be re-signed...but who knows

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@knote32
    and yes I’ve seen Dedmon play. I’m in the Spurs TV market. Saw Dedmon do a number
    on my Rockets constantly that year. Never heard of him before Morey was after him when leaving
    Orlando. He did catch my eye while with Spurs. Especially during playoff series vs Rockets.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dedmon didn't even play last year in the playoffs dude.
    1. 7 minutes
    2. 4 minutes
    3. DNP CD
    4. 8 minutes
    5. DNP CD
    6. 4 minutes

I'm trying to figure out which game he "did a number" on the Rockets, LOL.

YOLO likes this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Capela had a really bad night. He not only got abused by Jokic, but he seemed uncoordinated, atypically awkward. Not his usual solid game.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Dedmon playoffs vs Houston

Game 1) 7 mins, 6 pts, 2 rbs, 3-3 (FGM-FGA)
    Game 2) 3:57 mins, 5 pts, 2 rbs, 1-1 (FGM-FGA)
    Game 4) 8:11 mins, 5 pts, 5 rbs, 2-3 (FGM-FGA)
    Game 6) 4:18 mins, 3 pts, 4 rbs, 1-2 (FGM-FGA)

For the series average:
    5.9 mins, 4.8 pts. 3.3 rbs, 1.8-2.3 (FGM-FGA), 77.8% (FG%).

That’s incredible efficiency for those numbers with those mins. Not exactly stopping Dedmon. It
    was Pops that stopped Dedmon. Because he needed to give mins to LMA/Gasol/David Lee.
    The more experienced guys.

If he had played 36 minutes he would have had close to 35 points and 20 rebounds per game.
    That’s what I mean by doing a number. Genius.

Durant said Capela has the easiest job in the world. He is right.
    “Capela-Roll-Dunk”

Only thing easier is, “Hulk Smash”

Not as if the Rockets centers need to be Rocket Scientist

Spurs let Dedmon go so that they could have money for Rudy Gay

#137 ApacheWarrior, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Boy did Capela have a terrible game.

6 points and 6 turnovers and a -10.

buffalobills!!! and roslolian like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela showing why he is a 12M guy tonight lol.

DaDakota and buffalobills!!! like this.