1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mass shooting thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I was referring to Original Post and the subject of this specific shooter/incident since the thread has meandered into other subjects.

Its important to know if the measures taken are successful. With the massive supply of guns in this country, we have to do more than just talk about how evil guns are.

In response to the bipartisan bill, its really sad we have all of these gun laws but there are many who are not enforcing the rules. This is why I shy away from new gun laws that do very little to stop further violence (ahem assault weapons ban).

Exiled likes this.
  2. Space Ghost

There is a common link. Most of them are depressed angry introverts/recluses who go out with a literal bang before they commit suicide.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When I posted it, there was no information available in the reports I read about the school having an effective shut down. The initial reports said only that the school was one of like seven shooting sites in the rampage and that kids were injured.

Again, I'm really happy that the lockdown worked quickly and saved lives! And I'm never happy to see these events. If they stopped tomorrow, I would be incredibly thankful. Cheers.

4. Space Ghost

i don't want you to think I thought you were being disingenuous on your original post. I was reflecting that at the time of the shooting, we did not know he had intended to shoot up the school. A day later, we find out his intended rampage had been foiled and the story had more or less been buried in the background. Its disappointing we are not rejoicing that for all intensive purposed, another Sandy Hook was prevented and many of these kids came home to their family. Its important we count our wins, not just our losses.

5. Space Ghost

B-Bob likes this.
  6. B-Bob

Interesting, thanks, @Space Ghost.

So two big wins are: the quick school response, saving many lives (potentially); the existing laws actually took guns away from a guy who seemed to be a threat to others.

This whole "ghost guns" market is new to me, and it's fascinating. I'm not very gun-savvy (beyond some basic hunting guns), but I would not have thought you could build your own to good enough tolerances to result in a reliable semi-automatic rifle. But 3D printing really changes the game, I assume.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to contradict, but I must. If you buy an AR-15 as parts, the receiver (or more accurately for an AR-15 type, the lower receiver, since the AR recievers consist of two separate pieces that hinge open) has to have a serial number engraved on it and is treated, from the moment created to the moment destroyed, as a complete gun according to ATF rules. That includes all the rules for paperwork and background checks. Anybody who builds or transfers an AR-15 lower receiver without an engraved serial number is guilty of a felony. In the eyes of the law, selling an unserialized ar lower is the same as selling a complete gun without serial numbers.

Some places that make the lowers will allow you to get a custom serial, but it has to be unique for the manufacturer in each individual instance.

Source:
    I did about a million receiver transfers for ar lowers when I had a license.

The 3d printing angle could be an issue, but it is the same issue as someone 3d printing a full gun, so it's not really an ar-15 or parts gun specific thing. I dont think in practical terms, 3d printing of guns is a real world issue at this point but I could be wrong.

As far as people who own a CNC milling machine, it is not much more difficult to build an entire receiver out of solid bricks of aluminum, vs mostly complete ones. It's just a matter of time and wear/tear on the machine. There is no way to close that route, short of restricting access to CNC machines. But I don't think many people are dropping $10k on an industrial machine and developing the skills to use it so they can circumvent gun laws.

The article does a little bit of slight of hand, too. They seamlessly transition from the shooter to the "ghost guns" in such a way as to make it look like the murderer used one, but they never actually say that. In fact, given that 2 handguns were found with the murderer, I'm fairly confident in saying it wasn't the case.

#47 Ottomaton, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    B-Bob likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

The article is certainly confusing. I had to reread it several times. The second paragraph claims he built the guns himself.

What I find disturbing is you can buy the '80%' receiver w/out any legal paperwork and it comes with the instructions on how to make it 100%.

This is why I find the assault weapons ban an injustice to the cause. Criminals can still build their 'assault weapons', If you can still purchase and own the individual parts legally and it only becomes illegal after you put it together, what is the point of the law?

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

bump

B-Bob likes this.
  10. B-Bob

11. omgTHEpotential

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mass shootings.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They're just everywhere, it makes you wonder how we currently have one of the lowest homicide rates the country has seen in the last 100+ years. Don't spend too much time thinking about it though, you have to keep your eyes open to make sure there isn't a mass shooting nearby every waking moment.

14. omgTHEpotential

Domestic terrorism.

KingCheetah likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In statistical modeling, one factor is not used to dictate correlation. That's why often systems of differential equations are used since they can account for multiple variables of a span of time.

A drop in homicides is due to many factors over the course of decades such as higher standards of living and different law enforcement techniques and funding etc.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How much correlation is there between thoughts & prayers/ total amount guns per capita/ people not spanking their children enough these days, differential. Compared to individual instances of shootings total number of injured/killed differential.

I need to practice my derivatives, I’ll get back to you.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Hey, here's a comgressman delivering a whole bag full of thoughts and prayers (patent pending) to trump. Seems odd both would be mugging for the camera in light of the death of so many school kids but hey, any chance to smile for the camera I guess...

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/co...g-trump-big-bag-prayer-cards-school-shooting/

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Ah, they're coming out with the "there aren't that many of them" defense now.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not so much a "defense" as it is a reality check which is important during the middle of all of this fear mongering being used to push a political agenda that has nothing at all to do with actually keeping people safe.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When ever I hear the term "agenda" I first seek out "intent". What is the intent behind the agenda .

So what makes more rational sense? That a group of arms manufacturers driven by profit margins want to dispell the notion that there are too many guns thus they throw money at our political discourse and people who are for gun regulation are coming from a genuine and sincere place of hopelessness

Or that.... I cant even find some hypothetical intent in terms of nefariousness why someone would want to lessen the circulation of firearms honestly.

#60 fchowd0311, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018