1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: “The Rockets Org Knows Who Did/Didn’t Vote Harden For MVP Last Year”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Feb 14, 2018.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If I actually worked for the Rockets and spent all my time analyzing the optimal way of playing basketball and analyzing successful players, I would probably just go crazy if I had to listen to any of the ESPN experts talk about triple doubles as the way they judge the best player in the NBA.

I mean, even as a basketball fan it felt ludicrous, but I assume it's a hundred times worse for people who analyze this stuff for a living.

BamBam and DonKnock like this.
  2. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

The list of the analytically challenged is not a list worth making.

3. eslate22

eslate22 Member

how is there not one single person from nba.com... i mean it’s the league’s site and they can’t get one of their own a vote?

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s a shame that a guy like Jared Greenberg can’t get a vote but clowns like Beadle and Broussard do...

Deuce, Richie_Rich and DonKnock like this.
  5. Classic

Classic Member

Media integrity should always be a welcome topic and this goes back to the 'Jordan retirement/only reason Hou has a championship' days. Ive got no problem with people fighting for a fair narrative but at this point I think it's somewhat disengenoius to open your rant claiming the organization and fan base are obsessed with regular season accolades. Nah bro, we all looking ahead (at least in my extended circle of season ticket holders) to the Warriors/playoffs and after this year I think it's all water under the bridge.

BamBam, da_juice, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol 8 less wins 3 seeds lower 2 more uncontested rebounds stat padder holding down an all-star fan

DonKnock likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm glad you're looking ahead to the playoffs and not getting worked up over MVPs. We are on the same page as far as that goes, then.

I know what I've read on here regarding the MVP race and what I read/hear coming from the Rockets organization and broadcasters with their overt campaigning for MVP and beating their chest about what a great regular season team we've been. I don't consider my "rant" disingenuous at all, but whatever.

8. izeroi

izeroi Member

No kidding. I'm shocked that she has a vote.

Every time I watch games on abc/espn I always tell myself that she is the worst. Doesn't know anything at all about basketball and her vocabulary is basically "wowwwwww", "are you serious???", and "what??!"

She is one person that shouldn't have a vote.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the flip side here is the organization is focused on making our players look good. I don't know how exactly they've done it (and sure having a cornerstone like Harden helps a ton), but Houston is now seen as incredibly desirable organization for players. Part of that has to be the organization's willingness to promote its players.

Deuce and Richie_Rich like this.
  10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Do you think seeing Harden lose MVP to an undeserving candidate made our role players play better last year?

Do you think it makes Harden more confident to be criticized on effort by people that look like Brian Windhorst and Ramona Shelburne?

Do you think losing out on contract incentives tied to winning MVP had a positive psychological effect on Harden's play in the playoffs?

You continue to beat this drum that we need to allow these media members to be as disrespectful as they'd like.

You know who doesn't tolerate disrespect from the media?

Draymond (Went back and forth with Brian Windhorst)
    Lillard (Whined incessantly over All Star spot)
    Kyrie (Went back and forth with media over flat earth nonsense)
    Durant http://uproxx.com/dimemag/kevin-durant-media-blame-thunder-cavs-spurs-warriors/

All I hear from the media are glowing things about the Warriors, Celtics, Blazers, and Thunder.

It seems to only be you that thinks that allowing this level of disrespect from the voters is somehow actually a positive thing for us.

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The NBA digital and media platforms are operated by Turner. So there are 3 NBA.com writers on there that are considered TNT.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Love it!
    [​IMG]

Eat it b***!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

some people won’t believe this, but it’s possible to care about regular season achievements/accolades and the playoffs/winning a chip at the same time

heypartner, Deuce, arno_ed and 11 others like this.
  14. durvasa

That's a good point. I think it is calculated to some degree to make our star players happy, and perhaps to send a signal to other potential players that we take care of our (star) players.

But I also think we are just interested in portraying the team and its players as highly successful as a matter of business, and to make that case we kind of latch on to various factoids that ultimately feel empty to me given the absence of significant playoff success in recent years.

15. eslate22

eslate22 Member

gotcha... it’s still ridiculous that some of those people have a vote

DonKnock likes this.
  16. durvasa

I wouldn't expect there to be any connection.

More confident? No. Give more effort? Hopefully, yes.

Clearly not. Are you suggesting it had a negative psychological effect? If so, what does that say about Harden's character?

You continue to beat this drum that "disrespect" from media members matters, even after the Rockets have lost in embarrassing fashion and thereby only intensified the doubts those media members had about the team.

LOL, so what? Other players b**** about media disrespect, and so its cool if our players do the same?

Also: Kyrie and the flat earth stuff has nothing to do with anything being discussed here.

Why are you even mentioning the Warriors here, when the Rockets success hasn't come close to approaching there's? Of course the media has glowing things to say about the Warriors.

As for the Celtics, however glowing the media are about them, most aren't even picking them to beat the Cavs in a playoff series. People here were going apeshit over Kyrie being an MVP front-runner during the first month of the season, and now that talk has predictably subsided. Who in the media thinks the Celtics are better than the Rockets?

As for the Blazers and Thunder, only "glowing things"? Really?

It's neither positive or negative. It makes no difference to me. Respect is earned by succeeding in the playoffs. Prove something in the playoffs and then talk about disrespect if you like.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the media shouldn't have any votes at all. they're either actors playing sports news anchors until they get a movie gig, or homer local broadcasters/beat writers who will vote for their local star.

the voting pool should be made up of: 30 head coaches, 30 gms, 30 (whoever does the scouting report for each game, 1 from each team), all living former MVPs.

ribbit, da_juice, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  18. brosef

brosef Member

Beadle doesn’t know anything about sports period, not just basketball.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Wow you really are dumber than I gave you credit for.

Evidently you operate on the assumption that athletes are come sort of machines and no matter what input they receive their mandatory output should be "work harder". But that even isn't internally consistent with your own argument when you say there's zero impact for role players based on what happened with the MVP race.

You sound like someone that was never an athlete with that wall of foolishness you just wrote.

Your argument is again not internally consistent when you said we look second rate complaining about the media and regular season awards yet when confronted with a list of examples of players from teams with your red herring "post season success" complaining about media and regular season awards you create a straw man that our players should then be held to a higher standard.

And finally, you say that respect should be given based on postseason success alone, well then why is Harden, who has made a finals and a conference finals treated worse by the media than Anthony Davis who has barely been able to make the playoffs? There dozens of other players that get treated better by the media than Harden who haven't even made it out of the second round.

If I were you I would go do some reading on psychology before you try and peddle this same little narrative that Harden should just take the constant berating that he received because "ringzzzz". You sound worse than Skip Bayless with this pathetic contrarian lukewarm take of yours.

heypartner, RiceRockets and Drogba like this.
  20. omgTHEpotential

The MVP award is stupid, because it's being voted on subjectively by incompetent non-basketball people and there's a ton of biases in play. Rings on the other hand... Nothing subjective about it.

HTX Ninja likes this.